• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vitamin C (not the ascorbic acid form) and methadone

punkftl

Bluelighter
i know that large amounts of Vitamin C can increase elimination of methadone of the body due to Ascorbic Acid, one form of vitamin C.
but i am looking at my bottle of vitamins and the forms of Vitamin C are calcium ascorbate and ascorbyl palmitate.
does anyone know how these forms will act on methadone?
thanks

i am in a methadone maintenance program and dose every morning at 8:30..i don't take my vitamins until 3:30pm...and the vitamins have 300mg. of Vitamin C which is 500% of the RDA, but like i said it is not in the form Ascorbic Acid.
that is strange because i know grapefruit juice, especially the white or yellow grapefruit juice and not the Ruby Red kind, increases methadone absorption and makes it last longer

Last edited:
I'd imagine it shouldn't affect methadone elimination like an acid would (the more acidic your body is, the quicker methadone is eliminated).

i know that large amounts of Vitamin C can increase elimination of methadone of the body due to Ascorbic Acid, one form of vitamin C.
but i am looking at my bottle of vitamins and the forms of Vitamin C are calcium ascorbate and ascorbyl palmitate.
does anyone know how these forms will act on methadone?
thanks

i am in a methadone maintenance program and dose every morning at 8:30..i don't take my vitamins until 3:30pm...and the vitamins have 300mg. of Vitamin C which is 500% of the RDA, but like i said it is not in the form Ascorbic Acid.
that is strange because i know grapefruit juice, especially the white or yellow grapefruit juice and not the Ruby Red kind, increases methadone absorption and makes it last longer

You should be fine.

The grapefruit juice stops you from breaking down the methadone as fast and heightens your blood levels too.

You know what works better than white grapefruit? Quercetin.

Read up on it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

If you do decide to buy some and try it be careful.

I'm also on MMT, I take 135mg daily. As you may or may not know, CYP3A4 plays a major role in the breakdown of methadone. Quercetin is a potent inhibitor of CYP3A4.

This probably belongs in the trip reports section however when I combined Quercetin with my daily dose of methadone, it significantly enhanced the buzz (and I barely get a buzz anymore to begin with).

Just be careful, it's really strong stuff.

^ How many milligrams? I see there are 500mg capsules.

The stuff that I have, I take 1 capsule (250mg) a day (usually in the morning) and I'm set. I'm scared to do more than that (even though on the directions it says 1 to 3 capsules daily or as directed by a health practitioner).

Well Xanax is a CYP3A4 substrate so that will also be significantly affected by Quercetin.

Wellbutrin and Dexedrine shouldn't be affected.

I usually dose 30-45min before going to the clinic to get my dose. That's just me. I only take Quercetin once a day. I read somewhere that it takes about 72 hours for a dose of Quercetin to be completely broken down and eliminated from the body.

is methadone a drug that depend on stomach PH for absorption?
is it a drug that depends on an acidic environment for maximum absorption.
or just the opposite. my acid reflux in the morning is horrible and bought some Prilosec ( omeprazole).
now i know that it wont interfere with the xanax...and i have heard that methadone absorbs better in an environment that is less acidic...
but just wanted to see what you guys think..

found this on a website from the National Alliance of Methadone Advocates:

"Reports have surfaced about patients afraid to take Vitamin C because it would block methadone. Vitamin C does not block methadone but it can change the pH and thus influence the bioavailability. In an acidic environment methadone is not absorbed well and the methadone will be excreted unused. This only occurs at extremely high doses of Vitamin C, like 4 grams a day."

found this on a website from the National Alliance of Methadone Advocates:

"Reports have surfaced about patients afraid to take Vitamin C because it would block methadone. Vitamin C does not block methadone but it can change the pH and thus influence the bioavailability. In an acidic environment methadone is not absorbed well and the methadone will be excreted unused. This only occurs at extremely high doses of Vitamin C, like 4 grams a day."

That's true.

When mineral ascorbates are taken, both the mineral and the ascorbate appear to be well absorbed. Calcium ascorbate is no exception. Mineral ascorbates are less acidic, however.
Ascorbyl palmitate is a amphipathic compound(soluble in both water & lipid), which can be a huge bonus when it comes to bioavailability. However, ascorbyl palimate appears to be hydrolyzed in the GI tract before absorption, and is thus no more effective then regular old ascorbic acid. This is only relevant to oral ascorbyl palimate, btw.

Are you unable to get ascorbic acid for some reason?

When mineral ascorbates are taken, both the mineral and the ascorbate appear to be well absorbed. Calcium ascorbate is no exception. Mineral ascorbates are less acidic, however.
Ascorbyl palmitate is a amphipathic compound(soluble in both water & lipid), which can be a huge bonus when it comes to bioavailability. However, ascorbyl palimate appears to be hydrolyzed in the GI tract before absorption, and is thus no more effective then regular old ascorbic acid. This is only relevant to oral ascorbyl palimate, btw.

Are you unable to get ascorbic acid for some reason?

no, but the men's multi that i take i LOVE! it's from Country Life and it's called Max For Men...with Maxi-Sorb Delivery System.
apparently it includes immediate cofactors which act in synergy with the primary nutrients.
like with Niacin (it comes as niacinamide, niacin, and inositol hexanicotinate)

and it has at least 1,500% of all the B vitamins, Folic Acid (which is good for people who are taking antidepressants b/c it helps to boost their effects by making sure there is enough neurotransmitters being made.)
and a whole bunch of other stuff.

i recommend multi-vitamins for everyone...because what you get from food is not enough, and low amount of vitamins can cause your brain and body not to function properly.

'Max for Men' does indeed have quite a few things in it. In addition to the common essential vits/min, there are plant extracts, and digestive/pancreatic enzymes to assist in absorption/effeciacy.

(it comes as niacinamide, niacin, and inositol hexanicotinate
Compounds like these are analogs of the more common or stable vitamins, which usually all have similar in vivo activities & metabolties. A "vitamin" is not necessarily a single compound, it is a compound which shows preventative or curative action to a specific disease. For example, there are 8 "Vitamins E"s

Last edited:
You know what works better than white grapefruit? Quercetin.

Read up on it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

If you do decide to buy some and try it be careful.

I'm also on MMT, I take 135mg daily. As you may or may not know, CYP3A4 plays a major role in the breakdown of methadone. Quercetin is a potent inhibitor of CYP3A4.

This probably belongs in the trip reports section however when I combined Quercetin with my daily dose of methadone, it significantly enhanced the buzz (and I barely get a buzz anymore to begin with).

Just be careful, it's really strong stuff.

i went out yesterday and bought a few bottles...it contains 250mgs. in each capsule, so i took 3. i didn't feel high, that's not what i am looking for anyways, but it did bring back that good, bubbly-happy feeling that it use to give me.
it in the afternoon it does make me kind of dizzy, but it's not that bad.

and like you said, Xanax is a CYP3A4 substrate also so Quercetin also worked on that.
yesterday i was sitting on the couch, catching myself falling asleep! LOL
so this morning i cut the Quercetin down to 2 capsules.
it's amazing that something so simple as Quercetin can have such a big impact on your body and the way it metabolizes drugs..on the bottle, it says that Quercetin is an actual enzyme.

i also like to take L-Theanine...makes you feel a little relaxed and is good for my high blood pressure