• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Throat hurts/irritated from smoking weed constantly

Korn3x

Bluelighter
lately i've been smoking every day for a little more than 3 months. i smoke out of this really short-stemmed bowl, so the smoke is probably a lot hotter coming from it than other pieces.

i'm seriously considering investing in a water pipe of some kind. either a bong or a bubbler. i think the smoke is probably burning the back of my throat, and lately i've had to take breaks because it feels like my throat is getting "tighter" after the smoking session. i usually only smoke just 1 bowl full of weed too.

is this damage going to give me some kind of throat cancer or something? and should i be worried about my throat feeling tighter? the tightness usually starts that night after smoking and usually continues into the next day.

edit: and i also have allergies

No it wont give you cancer but it will give you decreased lung function which can lead to asthma, sleep apnea, emphysema, etc. A giant bong will still FUCK UP your lungs because there is tar and carcinogens in every hit. Smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. Just buy a vaporizer and keep getting high. It will pay for itself.

https://www.thevolcanovaporizer.com/

I have some bad news for you. I'm not sure how to say this.

But you are going to die.

On a serious note, you clearly have a shit smoking apparatus. Time to upgrade.

dam that sucks..

drugs are the main reason my grades are doing so good this semester. if i plan on getting high at night, then i can study so much better during the day, and i usually get all of my studying done before 8pm instead of procrastinating and getting out of the library at 1am..

i feel like smoking weed every day isn't too good for me, so i've been trying to taper down. the first couple nights were the worst. i'd literally lie in bed until 6am, get out of bed and smoke a tiny ass nug then i could sleep. this week has been going a lot better tho..

i dont think i'll be buying a vaporizer tho. it's too hard to conceal from my parents when i would go home, and i could get a bong for pretty cheap at a local head shop for like $25. plus just thinking about how many opiates i could have bought with the cash is too much for me to handle.

idk.. maybe i could find a used one on craigslist or something. i'll think about it tho.

still, the tightness in my throat is kind of freaking me out.

I have some bad news for you. I'm not sure how to say this.

But you are going to die.

On a serious note, you clearly have a shit smoking apparatus. Time to upgrade.

lol. well the bowl is actually really well made and has a very nice design. plus it's practically unbreakable. you can throw it around the room or drop it on the tile and it won't break. it's really durable glass, which is why i bought it, since the last piece of mine fell out of my pokcket from 2 feet up and broke. the piece i got now i can hold up over my head and drop it and it won't break or chip or nothing.

Get yourself a nice and portable bub. Seems like the best choice for a college student looking for some stealth / on the go.

On the plus side, you have a great excuse ("I've got bronchitis doc, and nothing seems to be working!) to get yourself some free codeine / hydro at your local health services building ;) You did say you wanted opiates.

Agreed with the bubbler idea.

But honestly, if you are tokin all day, your throat will take a toll. Im at the end of my junior year, been straight cheefin all day everyday from freshman year on. While i do find it to be very theraputic if used correctly (for me, i smoke mostly at night, smaller amounts during the day), I and every blazer i know has "the cough".

Its a smokers cough, dude. You just got to deal with it, maybe instead of one fat hit you cant hold in w/o coughing, try two smaller ones. G*d knows i cant take fat bongloads like i used too!

Its all in the game of cheebin my friend.

Get yourself a nice and portable bub. Seems like the best choice for a college student looking for some stealth / on the go.

On the plus side, you have a great excuse ("I've got bronchitis doc, and nothing seems to be working!) to get yourself some free codeine / hydro at your local health services building ;) You did say you wanted opiates.

i was thinking about the portable bubbler since i live in the dorms and i'm always on the move outside trying not to get spotted by police and shit, but the semester is almost over and i'll be living in an apartment over summer, so maybe a bong would be nicer..

i got a pretty decent oxy tolerance so i dont think the codeine/hydro thing is gonna work out..

Agreed with the bubbler idea.

But honestly, if you are tokin all day, your throat will take a toll. Im at the end of my junior year, been straight cheefin all day everyday from freshman year on. While i do find it to be very theraputic if used correctly (for me, i smoke mostly at night, smaller amounts during the day), I and every blazer i know has "the cough".

Its a smokers cough, dude. You just got to deal with it, maybe instead of one fat hit you cant hold in w/o coughing, try two smaller ones. G*d knows i cant take fat bongloads like i used too!

Its all in the game of cheebin my friend.

i hold in pretty fat hits and don't hardly ever cough much when i smoke anymore. i used to cough a lot, but after smoking out of a waterfall bong i made for awhile i got used to taking in massive amounts of smoke in all at once. can't really operate one of those on the move tho.. so thats why i bought the small concealable bowl.

and dam this smokers throat thing sucks..

Get a bong or bubbler that you can put ice in. :) Do you smoke cigs at all? If you do cut back on those or the amount of herb that you smoke daily and see if that helps any.

Even when I'd cough more often and I never really did it daily that much except for a rare week or entire month in the summer. My throat never felt tight but I'd take smaller hits from a one hitter or glass bowl and inhale them past my throat and just hold for a few seconds and exhale. Don't ghost or hold hits in until no smoke comes out I've heard how that's what really causes damage from the tar and hot smoke. Even people who smoke tobacco don't hold in their drags until they don't exhale any smoke.

If I were to start smoking again now after a few years of not smoking at all I know I'd cough a lot like when I first started taking huge bong hits.

If/when I start using herb again I'm going to vaporize it but there's a wide variety of vapes out there and they all have different methods of vaping and features.

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys but your advise isn't very good. Smoke will damage your lungs through a corncob pipe just the same as through a 3 foot tall roor with a tree percolator, ice notches, and a diffused downstem. If you light the weed on fire you will damage your lungs. Period. You spend 15, 000 on a car that last ten years. Spend 500 on a vape that will last at least that.

^^

i dont smoke cigs anymore. i used to love marlboro lights and i'd smoke like 3 a day at work, but it's just not worth the risk to me anymore.

i like my opiates, and there's no way in hell i'm gonna cut short the time i have on Earth to get fucked up on opiates by doing something as risky as smoking cigs everyday lol.

maybe i'll make a light-bulb vaporizer or something and give that a go. my throat never used to feel tight even after smoking all summer long, but for some reason it's feeling tighter/irritated now. it's probably cuz i used to vary my smoking methods during summer, like sometimes blunts, sometimes waterfall bong, which aren't as rough on your lungs as a small bowl everyday would be.

as for now ima try and cut back a little bit on the herb..

I'm sorry guys but your advise isn't very good. Smoke will damage your lungs through a corncob pipe just the same as through a 3 foot tall roor with a tree percolator, ice notches, and a diffused downstem. If you light the weed on fire you will damage your lungs. Period. You spend 15, 000 on a car that last ten years. Spend 500 on a vape that will last at least that.

well there's a big difference in the heat of the smoke that's burning/irritating the back of your throat when you smoke out of different pieces.

a bong is gonna cool that smoke down a lot, and you're not going to burn your throat at all. yes the smoke may still irritate your throat, but smoking out of a tiny ass bowl is gonna cause physical burning to the back of your throat when you take hard hits.

even smoking a blunt is a lot less damaging than a small bowl i would say. when you smoke a blunt you sort of inhale it like a cigarette by creating a vacuum in your mouth and bringing the smoke in, then you take you're hit, thus giving the smoke a little bit more time to cool. when you hit a bowl, you're basically inhaling that shit you would a normal breath of oxygen, and that smoke is hot as fuck coming from the burning weed since it burns at a higher temp than tobacco.

well there's a big difference in the heat of the smoke that's burning/irritating the back of your throat when you smoke out of different pieces.

a bong is gonna cool that smoke down a lot, and you're not going to burn your throat at all. yes the smoke may still irritate your throat, but smoking out of a tiny ass bowl is gonna cause physical burning to the back of your throat when you take hard hits.

even smoking a blunt is a lot less damaging than a small bowl i would say. when you smoke a blunt you sort of inhale it like a cigarette by creating a vacuum in your mouth and bringing the smoke in, then you take you're hit, thus giving the smoke a little bit more time to cool. when you hit a bowl, you're basically inhaling that shit you would a normal breath of oxygen, and that smoke is hot as fuck coming from the burning weed since it burns at a higher temp than tobacco.

True there are differences in heat but the best bong in the world isn't even close to the quality of a vape. The thing pays for itself since you need smaller amounts of weed and you won't have to go to the doctor for emphysema in 10 years. Start a piggy bank if you have to.

Of course there's damage to your lungs from smoking herb but the question is how much damage does it actually do?

I know people who have smoked herb daily for a decade or have over about 30 years and they don't have emphysema yet.

I know people who have smoked herb daily for a decade or have over about 30 years and they don't have emphysema yet.

It does plenty of damage. Look at websites besides NORML and bluelight.

You can't say something isn't true just because there are counter examples.

Eg. My grandpa smoked cigarrettes till 70 and died an unrelated death. Guess that means its safe to smoke cigarettes all day.

OP, all this is is the hairs in your throat & lungs, that carry the mucus etc, are being burned away.
the more you smoke, the less it hurts.

simple solution? stop smoking for a while & smoke bongs, or dont be a pussy and smoke through it, it will pass.

but yeah man, ur gonna die

lol at throat cancer from marijuana.

that's no joke bro. some people get throat tumors from just smoking weed and not tobacco.

it may not increase the risk of lung cancer, but throat cancer is still has a possibility. everyone has a different threshold for how much it takes to get cancer, and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

You could make a cheapo lightbulb vaporizer. It's safe as long as you get a clear bulb and STILL clean it out normally to make sure all you have is clean glass. Then again, it won't ever be 100% safe. There are glass pieces I've seen that are made for vaporizing too, you don't HAVE to invest in an expensive one, you just have to put more effort into vaping than letting the machine do it for you :)