View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Will Jello Cactus Tea Work

fnog9

Bluelighter
HELLO! I tried to drink cactus tea, but just couldn't. Gagging was imminent. Impossible to keep down. So, in response, I put a relatively huge amount of gelatin in the tea, and chilled it and will try again tomorrow. Anyone know if there's any reason this won't work? People use this to make mimosa tea more tolerable, and it apparently reduces acid in mimosa. So I was just wondering if this jello thing will destroy the mescaline. I'd like to know so I drink a whole lotta plant material and hurl for no reason.

I probably boiled my cactus too long and too intensely bc it's really brown and probably has a lot of other plant resins..... so I figure I'm probably going to barf. But nothing could be worse than my first trip attempt where I ate whole, frozen cactus chunks.

People add gelatin to "mimosa tea" because it grabs some tannins once it solidifies, which they then remove.

I'm guessing gelatin in cactus brew would only make it harder to drink. I highly doubt it would destroy any of the mescaline.

It's like adding water to DXM. It tastes just as shitty, but now there's more of it and there's nothing you can do about it.

People add gelatin to "mimosa tea" because it grabs some tannins once it solidifies, which they then remove.

I'm guessing gelatin in cactus brew would only make it harder to drink. I highly doubt it would destroy any of the mescaline.

The idea behind making it a jello is that your tongue and throat do not instantly become saturated with the taste of the drink. The jello can be in contact with your tongue for a sec without taste, and if you're lucky and fast you can swallow pieces without tasting it at all. It's still tiring trying to swallow solids without chewing though.

Well, thanks, the answer is it probably won't destroy the mescaline. And so I'm off to drink. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Report: FAILED

I still couldn't swallow it. It wasn't much better. Still bad enough to gag it up. Another failed trip report brought to you by fnog9.

There is a really simple non toxic extraction method floating around.

The OP is why I prefer freshly watered cacti....yeah it increases the alkaloids (by volume) to dry it, but in exchange it tastes like shit. Fresh well watered cacti is totally edible raw, kind of like cucumber with a hint of aspirin.

damn. maybe next time dry the cactus bits in the sun? thats the only method that i havent tried yet... Has anyone tried this method yet? (maybe deep fry them too, so it might taste good =D)

Why didn't you just do what you posted about earlier where you boil down the slime-free tea to a low volume, lower the temp to simmering to prevent boiling the syrupy resin (mesc boils at 183C/367F according to wiki) until you have a dry crust, then scrap up the crust and put it in capsules?

i doubt that works. ive t-shirt ringed it out, then boiled until it became a goop that filled 1/3 of a glass. i downed it, and nothing happened at all. maybe it was the dosage. next time i'd use an entire cactus...

Boiling and drying both cause a loss of potency, and eating straight does not release all the good stuff.

The BEST and least often used way is to freeze and thaw....that goes for extractions as well as for making tea. It also doesnt taste as bad, if the cacti is freshly watered. Totally palatable. Dry cactus tastes like shit and most of the gains in alkaloids is from diminishing volume, not from some crazy over production of alkaloids.

If you want to make a tea out of it, then add some purified water and simmer at LOW heat....this is after you thaw and blend in a blender into goop. It goes to goop easy after thawing breaks the cell walls. Then you strain the heated liquid that has been simmering at low heat and save that one and keep it seperate.....then once you get your non overheated batch, you can repeat only now you can boil the shit out of it and not worry.....repeat until its a light color, use a dehydrator to get rid of the water volume at low heat, or just drink as is.

It has a lot of stimulant effect. The visions dont kick in until you reach higher doses.

Here's a bunch of pages of people who say simmering slime free tea down to a resin and encapsulating has worked well for them.

https://www.dmt-nexus.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=7362

They do stress not to boil, but simmer the tea - though if mescaline's boiling point is so much higher than the temp of boiling water I'm not certain why it's so important. It's a long process, but if you divided the tea across four pans on all four burners then combine to one when each gets low it could go pretty fast. It was originally linked to by fnog9. It sounds like the best way to avoid the taste and slime that doesn't involve extra chemicals.

Its not the mescaline you are trying to preserve.....Too many chemists and doctors like to reduce plants to their "active constituents"....this approach almost always fails to address whole plant synergy. I guess if 3 stage trials dont confirm the presence of another active chemical then it doesnt exist....

But we know there are other actives in cacti. I dont really know which ones are heat sensitive though, but boiling gives you a more sleepy trip while raw is more stimulating.

Why didn't you just do what you posted about earlier where you boil down the slime-free tea to a low volume, lower the temp to simmering to prevent boiling the syrupy resin (mesc boils at 183C/367F according to wiki) until you have a dry crust, then scrap up the crust and put it in capsules?

I tried, but failed that as well. When there was about 100ml syrup to work with, it became extremely sticky, too sticky to work with. The stuff that dried completely could not be worked with. I was only able to get that stuff off after hard scrubbing and soap washing.

To salvage my product, I re-hydrated the remaining stuff and now had about 200 ml of brown syrup, which unfortunately could not be capsulated.

And guess what..... I wasn't done after failing at the jello. To salvage my product, I re-heated it again in to a liquid and took it as an enema. I even put in some harmaline with the mix. It FAILED. Nothing happened. After about 45 minutes I experienced inescapable cramps which purged the product out, and I had severe screaming cramps for 20 minutes after that. Another failed trip report by fnog9, and another failed enema attempt.

I believe my failure to make a workable resin was my mistake of boiling it far too intensely and for too long.

Its not the mescaline you are trying to preserve.....Too many chemists and doctors like to reduce plants to their "active constituents"....this approach almost always fails to address whole plant synergy. I guess if 3 stage trials dont confirm the presence of another active chemical then it doesnt exist....

But we know there are other actives in cacti. I dont really know which ones are heat sensitive though, but boiling gives you a more sleepy trip while raw is more stimulating.
Within the 18 pages on the resin I linked to above people claim that simmering and not boiling down to resin preserves the "full spectrum" of alkaloids. However, even if it was boiled and these other active chemicals were destroyed shouldn't the remaining mescaline still make a person trip regardless, even if they don't trip as hard (i.e. not a total failure)?

I tried, but failed that as well. When there was about 100ml syrup to work with, it became extremely sticky, too sticky to work with. The stuff that dried completely could not be worked with. I was only able to get that stuff off after hard scrubbing and soap washing.
I boiled down a very small amount of slime free tea (made using the decanting method) I had left over a few weeks ago to test the resin. It did get very sticky, but I just kept returning it to the oven on the lowest setting in a little glass salsa dish and after maybe 1.5 hours it got totally dry and I could scrap it into a dark brown powder that could be stuffed into caps. I can't say whether or not it was active though, as it was just a test to see what would happen.

If you don't want to risk damage by totally drying I read in the resin thread that people roll the resin over flour into tiny balls to deal with the stickiness. They throw them into the back of their throats and swallow to mostly avoid the taste.

How do you know your cactus isn't weak in the first place, BTW? Unless your friends have tripped off your cactus or something your problem is that you still don't even know if it's strong enough to get you to trip even under perfect conditions. You can't know what methods fail and which work if it's weak.

Last edited:
That's not true at all. Eating the green flesh straight is one of the best ways to do it. Why do you think so many people eat Peyote?

I either blend up the green flesh with lemon juice & drink it down or eat the green flesh straight. I always trip hard!

That totally works....but you are going to excrete some out the rear end that never gets broken down.....You do get the full spectrum though.

Within the 18 pages on the resin I linked to above people claim that simmering and not boiling down to resin preserves the "full spectrum" of alkaloids. However, even if it was boiled and these other active chemicals were destroyed shouldn't the remaining mescaline still make a person trip regardless, even if they don't trip as hard (i.e. not a total failure)?

Yeah, you can totally trip when you boil it. Hard. It just changes the qualities. Its probably not the mescaline you are losing but one of the other stimulant chemicals that gives it a more happy MDMA/amphetamine like quality that makes people more euphoric.

Yes, it shouldnt be a total failure....maybe the cactus was weak? Maybe it just didnt absorb very well with the jello? I have no idea.

I am thinking maybe it didnt extract well. I never do just one boiling. I always combine liquids from multiple boilings, saving the first low heat simmering and combining it with the high heat....but you get the most out of it when you break the cell wall first by freezing and thawing.

If you don't want to risk damage by totally drying I read in the resin thread that people roll the resin over flour into tiny balls to deal with the stickiness. They throw them into the back of their throats and swallow to mostly avoid the taste.

Excellent idea!

I was once given something brilliant....Its a way cool idea, but I am hesitant to share it becaue if people know about it it will ruin how stealth it is.

I have probably prepared cacti a few hundred times in my life.....I have gotten very good at it.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I don't know if the cactus was weak bc I only actually orally consumed about 0.5% of the tea. And I don't know if I absorbed anything in the enema. I would think that it was a weak mescaline cactus, I still would have felt some kind of body high from the alkaloids if I absorbed any at all. The dried cactus has been dried and sitting for 2 months in a box. I don't know how long they stay good.

They loose some potency dried.

In the future use freshly watered cacti if you dont have a stomach for the taste. Break the cell wall by freezing and thawing. You can do that 'instead' of the dried cactus powder, but you will use 3x as much cactus by volume if not more.

my advice (harsh as it may be): man up and drink the shit. if you can't even get the stuff into your stomach, how do you expect your trip is going to go?