• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Soma Shakes?

skoat

Bluelighter
The majority of the time when I take Soma I lose hand control. I can't do simple things like tie a shoe or type properly because my hands are so unsteady.

I usually take 2 x 350mg Soma/Carisoprodol

When I took four once I couldn't talk, "d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d....." I was stuttering hard, I could barely walk as well.

Strange thing is I used to do Soma all the time back in AZ and this never happened once. I read up on the side-effects and it seizure is possible.

My question is, am I risking a seizure when I take a reckless amount (rarely)?

The majority of the time when I take Soma I lose hand control. I can't do simple things like tie a shoe or type properly because my hands are so unsteady.

I usually take 2 x 350mg Soma/Carisoprodol

When I took four once I couldn't talk, "d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d....." I was stuttering hard, I could barely walk as well.

Strange thing is I used to do Soma all the time back in AZ and this never happened once. I read up on the side-effects and it seizure is possible.

My question is, am I risking a seizure when I take a reckless amount (rarely)?

Seizures are listed as a side-effect from taking too large a dose and you are asking if you are at risk of having a seizure if you take too large a dose??.....I'd say yes.

I know this isn't exactly ADD material, but this situation seriously confuses me. Roughly two years ago I got pop 6 to 8 and drink and be fine.

daddy, I should have rephrased my question.

Has this happened to anyone with soma use? The shaking subsides and everything is normal usually within ten to fifteen minutes.

Why did this never occur to me when I was recklessly abusing Soma in Arizona? Was I eating 50mg Soma's? I doubt they even make those. I thought the smallest dose was like 150 or something.

Any help?

Soma being a prodrug of meprobamate, I thought meprobamate had anticonvulsant properties...

Soma being a prodrug of meprobamate, I thought meprobamate had anticonvulsant properties...

Thats why I was so confused as to how this was happening. Then I did some more research. So apparently they do make 50mg, 100mg and etc does of Soma.

I made a very dangerous mistake. The Somas were obviously from Mexico when I was eating them at ASU, they were likely a much weaker dose from an unregulated factory.350mg is the highest dose currently made in the USA; FDA regulated. I was probably eating some weak somas between 50mg to 100mg.

350 x 4 = 1400mgs with a minimal tolerance. To think how close I came to a seizure is ignorantly disturbing. :|

To answer your question, Soma is INFAMOUS for being very unpredictable.
If you read through any Soma thread here, you will see again and again people commenting on the fact that one day they can take 1200mg and be fine, and then another day take 700mg and be shaking and shuffling all over the place.
Another common complaint is that adding a very small amount to a dosage can create a massive effect. For instance, someone will take 700mg and feel great (no side effects), and then an hour later pop another 100mg and all of the sudden everything changes-they are shaking and twitching like mad.
This just seems to be the nature of the beast when it comes to Soma-dosing is unpredictable and tricky.

And yes, carisoprodol does have muscle-relaxant and anti-convlulsant properties, but at high doses (as you have experienced) you essentially lose control of your muscles and motor/functions and end up having the "shakes".

To avoid all of this, always err on the side of smaller doses.-DG

Wow, I never knew it was that unpredictable. Thx for the reply DG.

I now remember when I was in school that this kid ate about fifteen and went into a coma, no shakes or anything else. Fell asleep and took a long time to come out of it, he woke up in the hospital.

Strange drug.

I have abused Soma a little bit too much (RXed 90 350mg tabs per month), but I know what you are talking about, the same thing would happen to me on both soma and DXM at large doses. I believe the large doses can actually cause seizures (because I had one after taking 10 Somas) but the shaking/stuttering I think is actually from your muscles becoming too "relaxed" and not having control like you normally would. I have no scientific proof of this btw, just a thought that could explain it maybe

although i know nothing of the reasons y, i'd like to add that i've had a similar experience and am as equally confused.

i have always had/taken the same 350 mg ones you mention.

i played with them on and off, and the first few months i would simply get high for about 20 minutes, then fall asleep.

after a brief hiatus i would take the same doses, and get high for about 5 minutes, then pass out, but notice the things like can't write, at all, can't take a sip of a drink, can stand up but can't go forward without literally, tipping over or grabbing for the nearest thing.

once, i fell asleep for about 5 minutes after they hit and was woken up by something, wanted to get up and go to the bathroom, and when i stood up and went to step i literally just collapsed and crashed into a heavy wooden armoir. then i couldnt get up from the floor. im a young healthy 24 yr old. the bruises i had from that were, truly, frightening.

for reference i'd take anywhere from 2 to 5 at a time. after the armoir incident i never took them again. i dont know what else to say of them other than the same you did : strange.8)

Yeah, I can't do soma because I have a spinal cord injury and if I take soma the next morning i have rebound spasticity.

Yes, Carisoprodol can cause shaking as a side-effect. This has happened to me on several occasions.. I don't believe it is the result of a seizure as most (but not all) seizures cause unconsiosness, specifically Tonic-clonic seizures. Simple and Complex partial seizures can often occur while one is concious but they usually do not involve loss of control of muscle movement and convulsions. They are more defined by feelings of deja vu, sudden feelings of fear or euphoria for no apparent reason, or being unaware of where one is. These may lead into a tonic clonic seizure and are called auras often in that case. I've had seizures before in the past and this is just my opinion and experience.. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT!

So not to go too much deeper into seizures and epilepsy, I wanted to point out that Carisoprodol, along with its related carbamate, Meprobamate, both affect GABA-A receptor. It is believed that Carisoprodol produces most of it's barbiturate like effects due to it's metabolite Meprobamate. This is believed to be the cause of the "barbiturate-like" effects produced by carisoprodol as well as it's abuse potentital. The interesting part is that barbiturate antagonists like bemegride will counter act some of the effects of carisoprodol itself, showing that it most likely has and binds to similar receptors as barbiturates. Flumazenil., a benzodiazepine antagonist, does not reverse any of the effects of carisoprodol however.

Knowing that, this shows us that the shaking effect is most likely attributed to some effects it has on GABA. GABA is the inhibitory nuerotransmitter that can affect smooth muscle, anxiety, sleep, convulsions among other things. GABA agonist potentiate GABA activity in different ways and to different receptors specifically to the drug being used. Carisoprodol being an agonist., as is it's metabolite., having muscle relaxing properties on smooth muscle and I believe it is possible that an overdose (anything above the recomended dose) may cause loss of control over muscle and therefore also causing the hand tremors due to your body being able to control movement in a sturdy manner.. Only analogy I can think of is when someone tries to lift a weight that is much heavier than they are used too and they begin shaking when they pick up and put down the weight in motion, although not as much when they are holding still.

Carisoprodol can also cause tachycardia., an increase in heart rate which can cause tremors like those seen with stimulant drugs and during anxiety and panic attacks. That combined with the loss of motor function I believer would cause the tremors to be worse as it would be harder for your body to be able to hold still.

These are my opinions and I hope they help. I just want to point out that EVERYONE reacts differently to different drugs and different dosage levels and should always take caution and start low. If you have had seizures before then you are more prone to them when taking GABAergics due to their effects on GABA receptors and their anti-convulsant or convulsant inducing effects (depending on the GABAergic taken and how it affects the receptor). Hope this helps!

This has puzzled me too. I always assumed/inferred that the muscle-relaxant effect induced 'jerks' that one could misinterpret as seizure-like or pre-seizure activity, but then again, carispridol does indeed have seizure listed as a possible effect of over-dose. So I'm wondering: what are the possible mechanisms for either of these effects?

ebola

^Hah, I was just discussing this with you. :)

Having experienced this myself (only at four times the maximum recommended single-dose limit, 1400mg; I have absolutely none of these symptoms at 1050mg nor 700mg or 350mg), I can say that at first I was moderately concerned of possible seizure activity, but the effects were so overwhelmingly relaxing and very hypnotic (sleep came very quickly in spite of some tremors) I have to assume that there was a significant anticonvulsant effect going on with that level of CNS depression. I can't say this with certainty, however.

MolecularSpirit said:
Carisoprodol being an agonist., as is it's metabolite., having muscle relaxing properties on smooth muscle and I believe it is possible that an overdose (anything above the recomended dose) may cause loss of control over muscle and therefore also causing the hand tremors due to your body being able to control movement in a sturdy manner.

This sounds plausible, although I still have doubts.

iv take up to 30 250mg somas within 24hrs and i didnt have a seizure but ever1s different 2

yeah man, it's the Soma Shuffle. I don't take more than 3 x 350mg anymore.

There were a few threads on here where we discussed the possible mechanisms involve for drugs such as carisoprodol. I'll only go as far as to reiterate that carisoprodol may not be a mere prodrug for meprobamate. This hasty assumption has left us with very little data regarding the activity of carisoprodol. Having sampled meprobamate proper, I myself have found a rather distinct difference.

In regards to the 'convulsant' properties of carisoprodol, it is important to differentiate pro-convulsant actions from any tremor associated with ataxia. A similar sort of ataxia seen in carisoprodol intoxication also can also occur with subanesthetic doses of barbs, methaqualone, ethanol and GHB.

And surely, the action of the drug has been characterized as 'barb-like', but it is simplistic to describe it as an 'agonist'. Similarly, if its established that the drug acts in a 'barb-like' manner, why is it relevant to discuss its inability to be reversed by flumazenil?

But back to the question of carisoprodol as a potential pro-convulsant: This is admittedly a rather crude/incomplete explanation, but I am trying to drive at the moment. Basically, if I recall correctly, carisoprodol can at relatively high doses (such as single po doses of 1050mg) be self-limiting in respect to the degree of GABAa positive modulation/GABA potentiation (caused by signaling blockade-NMDA inhibition at high doses). Thus at a sufficiently high dose, GABAa positive modulation may be partially interrupted or limited, resulting in a 'hiccup' of sorts (as the concentration falls back over a rather short period of time, interruptions to GABAa + mod become less prevalent; a rebound if you will). Of course all of this is further complicated by the continued reuptake inhibition of adenosine, which may allow for continued somnolence during these periods. I must caution that direct binding can occur at massive doses resulting in coma (overdose etc). Compared to potent barbs and methaqualone, carisoprodol is relatively safe (emphasis on 'relative', as barbs and methaqualone-analogs are notoriously unsafe and unforgiving).

Again: this message was dictated and not reviewed. Officer: "Sir, why were you looking at your phone while driving?", reply: "I was trying to ensure that I was accurately describing the mechanism of carisoprodol's potential convulsant activity when abused, in an intriguing online discussion entitled 'Soma Shakes'".......

My guess: activity at an ion channel or mGluR or something of the like. I've yet to hear of barbs or adenosine causing tics/convulsions so it's unlikely that either of the primary modes of action are responsible for the soma shakes.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

sekio said:
My guess: activity at an ion channel or mGluR or something of the like. I've yet to hear of barbs or adenosine causing tics/convulsions so it's unlikely that either of the primary modes of action are responsible for the soma shakes.

Is this more parsimonious than the 'shakes' being a result of effective muscle relaxation? IME, whenever they've manifested, they disappear when I lay down and remain motionless.

ebola