• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hydromorphone OD Scare HELP

Senator Lennon

Bluelighter
I TOTALLY misjudged dosage reccomendations on some of my hydromorphone tabs and someone said you'd have to take 5-6 to get messed up, but I didn't eat them. I had 5 4mg tabs, I railed two and plugged two. That was about an hour ago and I just felt good for about the first half hour then I read about the bioavailability and possible death.

My pupils are tiny and I'm itching like crazy, but the internet says a couple big signs of OD are extreme sleepiness and trouble breathing.

I'm wide awake, and I'm trembling, but that might have to do with my current fear of death.

I have a mild tolerance to opiates from vicodin, do I need to go to the hospital? Since I'm an hour in should I just be going down from here, especially given my delivery methods and how fast they come on, and they typically last 4-6 hours?

Is there anything I can do to bring me down or clean up my system at all? Anything at all that can make me feel better, unless I need to go to the hospital now.

I feel like a complete idiot, I know I am and I'm not even going to take the last one ever. If you could please wait until tomorrow to tell me what an idiot I am, I'm really scared.

I think I'm OK, it's been almost two hours since I took it, I'm no longer shaking, no longer dizzy or lightheaded for the most part. A little nausea but I'll take throwing up over dying any day. Now you may commence calling me an idiot.

btw, right after I posted this all the power went out and when you're trying not to pass out it's not cool when all the lights go off!

This was definitely a lived and learned...(knock on wood)

Is it safe to sleep now?

EDIT: (I wasn't drowsy before, but now I'm about to pass out, and a few times I noticed that I was holding my breath)

Last edited:
you have live messenger right... sign on ill talk to u there its easier

most people take a wee bit too much and start to freak out they are ODing. small symptoms, while freaking out, turn into "serious symptoms".

20mg hydrocodone, while potentially making you a bit nauseous or sweaty, would be damn difficult to die from. many people report hydrocodone to give a stimulating effect, keeping them awake for the duration of the high rather than nodding off like the other opiates.

^hydromorphone, and you took 4 so 16 mg. While thats a pretty good sized dose for someone with no tolerance luckily the bioavailabilty is a lot lower unless you inject them, I'm not 100% but i think its around 40-50% for snorting and plugging around 50-60%, but only you know how you feel so its up to you whether you think its serious enough. But if its been 2 hours and your still fine you are probably ok, maybe wait a little longer before you go to sleep just in case

it's always interesting when, a few times a week, new users sign up to post and ask if they are going to die because they did a small amount of a weak drug. i'm not sure why people think a bunch of people can diagnose them over the internet.

there should be some kind of warning at the front page.

it's always interesting when, a few times a week, new users sign up to post and ask if they are going to die because they did a small amount of a weak drug. i'm not sure why people think a bunch of people can diagnose them over the internet.

why are you belittling the op?

20mg hydromorphone is a pretty decent dose man

I wouldn't call it a "small amount of a weak drug"

that dose would kill someone who is not tolerant to opiates...its not like he popped a perc and came running here saying i've got 5mg oxy in my im dead!

hydromorphone is hardly a weak drug, and I wouldn't call what he took a "small amount" especially for someone with little opiate tolerance.

I understand your point, but it could be dangerous to give people the impression that hydromorphone is a weak drug.-DG

I had a few times a few years ago in my early days of near-daily opiate use when I thought I took too much and may be overdosing, so I understand the op. If you believe you are really overdosing a trip to the ER is probably better than posting here, but it can be a confusing thing, not being sure if you're OD'ing or not. I remember I would drink a strong cup of coffee to put a CNS stimulant in my body as if it would counter the opiates depressant effect, it was really silly. I would also refuse to sit or lay down scared I would nod off and not wake, I would walk around the house for an hour or longer until I felt better. Most people who think they are OD'ing and post it here are likely just getting a stronger effect than they have felt or maybe getting paranoid from using, if someones really OD'ing they probably wouldnt get to post a message on here, but its still a serious thing because its life or death.

Posting here made me feel better, and after about an hour and a half, I figured I was okay, and instantly I stopped shaking. Like, I wan't trembling like I took some speed bombs for E, I was naked in Antarctica. I figured I wasn't gonna die, but seeing as how I took what I heard was a large dose of a drug I've never taken before, I had a better safe than sorry attitude. I didn't want to go straight to the hospital because I figured I wasn't gonna die, and if I went to the hospital with an OD a few people that couldn't find out would for sure.

And by the way, I refused to sit down for fear of nodding off and considered making coffee :p

It's a lot harder to be rational when you're high as balls.

He's being a jerk because he doesn't know shit about this drug apparently, and is probably embarressed that he didn't know what hydromorphone was. Im guessing he didn't know what it was, and thought it was a typo. He seen the user say "Vicodin tolerance" and automatically assumed it was a typo for hydrocodone. While it may be true that people come on bluelight and other forums with these types of situations, suboxone should leave the replying to people who know what they are talking about.......:p

As for the OP. You have now learned what your tolerance is=D Next time, if you decide there is a next time, you should only use about half of that. Go for 8mgs. Also, it never makes for a good trip when you read all the negative side-effects of the drug while your tripping balls. I made that same mistake the first time I did cocaine. I thought I was having a heart attack when it was just the buzz.

I have been prescribed Hydromorphone in time release preparation, and Dilaudid tablets for BT pain for the last 6 years. I know this drug very well. When someone is in the hospital with severe pain, they will call for hydromorphone shots every 1.5-4 hours. Its a very short lived drug. So in 3 hours the effects are pretty much gone. You will be itchy though for about 6 hours, that, urinary retention, and constipation are always the side-effects that last the longest.

Keep in mind though for someone with no tolerance, and not in pain, the effects can last for a solid 8 hours. If your going to be foolishly or no.......carelessly using opiates at obsurd doses, i might be a good idea to get ahold of a heroin OD kit. It will gave naloxone in it. Also try to have a friend present. One is pretty helpless in any drug overdose, and this could have been your death. If this ever happens again, remember it is your life, call an ambulance. Who gives a shit if your entire family knows you OD's, its better then them having t0o bury you.

Please be carefull.:p

So in 3 hours the effects are pretty much gone. You will be itchy though for about 6 hours, that, urinary retention, and constipation are always the side-effects that last the longest.

I woke up at 4am itching like a motherfucker, still did feel a little high though. And yeah, I'm gonna be more careful next time... thanks.

And it was kind of good I freaked out because I was all ready to rail another one in 45 minutes, and I heard the duration is much less with IV. Obviously I'm far from an expert however.

Also I woke up with a motherfucker of a headache...so after reading these posts I plugged 4mg, I know it's soon after freaking out last night...but it was for actual pain relief lol...I know I'll probably just crash harder in 4 hours but still...

Btw, I know I plug a lot, I care a lot about bioavailability, and I'm a junkie not a homo. Usually I stick with E, but I give myself at least 4-6 weeks to recover in which I experiment around with some other stuff.

Last edited:
He's being a jerk because he doesn't know shit about this drug apparently, and is probably embarressed that he didn't know what hydromorphone was. Im guessing he didn't know what it was, and thought it was a typo. He seen the user say "Vicodin tolerance" and automatically assumed it was a typo for hydrocodone. While it may be true that people come on bluelight and other forums with these types of situations, suboxone should leave the replying to people who know what they are talking about.......:p

blah blah blah

i apologize, i misread it. i saw vicodin later on in the post and assumed he meant hydrocodone, as many newer opiate users don't even know what hydromorphone is. i know what i'm talking about, mistakes happen. i've been on every painkiller under the sun after my back injury.

either way, i'm not here to flex my e-peen over drug use. 16mg of hydromorphone shouldnt be a lethal dose. i still stand by my first statement.

I still think it counts as a scary dose when you've never done it before and you're high as balls.
16mg of Hydromorphone is definitely considered a high dose, It's probably equivalent to around 80mg OC. And without big tolerance, that is a very high dose to take. So this definitely was a scary situation and shouldnt have been taken as lightly as 'Suboxone' is taking it, even though it wasnt enough to actually die, its still considered an overdose. But you'll be okay :)

16mg of Hydromorphone is definitely considered a high dose, It's probably equivalent to around 80mg OC. And without big tolerance, that is a very high dose to take. So this definitely was a scary situation and shouldnt have been taken as lightly as 'Suboxone' is taking it, even though it wasnt enough to actually die, its still considered an overdose. But you'll be okay :)

For something to be considered and OD doesn't the person actually have to die?

first time I did dilaudid, my careless freind handed me 3 4mg, I popped 2 and sniffed one, no tolerance to any ops
I was so anxious, trembling, shaking, but then it hit me and i felt sooo good
then
Puke, Puke, Puke, Puke, Puke, Puke
and more Puke, go to the grocery store for some candy, puke there, get outside, puke there too, got back to his house puked more, all along feeling like I was floating, such a weird great feeling, I didnt know I could throw up so much in a 2 hour period.

what you did was alot, id feel better being with sum1 to keep watch of me, but from my experience with dilaudid when it gets bad I throw up a few times and feel way better, no anxiety. maybe its just me

1mg of dilaudid IV'd gives me quite the rush and a 4 hour long high. Hydromorphone is a lot more potent than people make it out to be, because it has a poor oral BA and people think "This sucks I need to eat multiple pills to get high".