• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Wellbutrin and DXM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirat3

Bluelighter
I have read a couple of posts about people warning not to take DXM with wellbutrin, why is this? I've searched but I can't find any reason that they would be a bad combo. People go to great lengths to inhibit CYP2D6 with grapefruit juice, and I recently found out that Hydroxybupropion (a metabolite of bupropion) is an inhibitor of CYP2D6. So, wouldn't Wellbutrin in theory potentiate a DXM trip? It inhibits dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake.... so no serotonin syndrome....

Someone please provide me with some insight.

I think the effects, theoretically, would be unpleasant.

I wouldn't mix these two. Especially if it's not a DXM-only product.

I will be using a dxm only product, but could you explain to me why the effects would be unpleasant? would it not just make the trip longer and stronger by increasing the plasma levels of dxm and slowing their metabolism?

Maybe bad twitches or something... I'm just going from what I've heard. People I know have gotten twitches from wellbutrin,

and the last time I did dxm I got weird twitches. But then again I get that from weed too. maybe something with the way they both inhibit something?? I don't really know how either work

I think DXM primarily releases (maybe even solely) 5-HT. AFAIK Wellbultrin is an SDRI. They'll interact sure, but I don't see them interacting in a very serious fashion. (I'm PRETTY damn sure serotonin syndrome wouldn't occur, but high amounts of dopamine and low amounts of serotonin often make me feel "off".

Wellbutrin acts as a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI)... Dextromethorphan is a serotonin transporter (SERT) blocker (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and a norepinephrine transporter (NET) blocker (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor).

so the only possible interactions I could see are increased plasma levels of dxm, the dxm high lasting longer, and maybe higher than normal amounts of norepinephrine.

I'm still just not seeing how this would be a dangerous combo....

The couple times I took DXM while I was on Wellbutrin I spent the night vomiting, maybe it was just a coincidence, or my body chemistry, I don't know just my personal experience. I never had problems with either of them separately and I never even took that much DXM while I was on Wellbutrin.

I do remember reading somewhere that they had some sort of interaction but I can't remember where so don't quote me on that.

You are spot on with the CYP2D6 inhibition. I was getting plateau 1/2 type effects when i used a theraputic (i.e. cough suppressant) dose whilst on welbutrin. I was so confused..i had used DXM in the past (before being put on wellbutrin) and there was no way such a tiny amount should've made me trip. So the decreased metabolism from CYP2D6 inhibition is DEFINITELY noticeable, making it incredibly dangerous if your dosage is not adjusted accordingly. If 30mls gave effects equivalent to 150-200mls --> so if you took the recommended dosage for Plateau 3 = OD and a visit to the emergency ward :(

Interestingly - that was the 1st time i'd ever used DXM for it's intended purpose of supressing a dry cough..It's bloody useless..i'm sticking with dihydrocodine now. :)

Last edited:
wow, I would have never guessed the potentiation could possibly be near that much. maybe thats why people spend the night vomiting.

I see you stroking in the near future.
You blood pressure is going to blow a gasket.
It's just not safe for your heart. (more dangerous than either one alone.)

"No statistically significant changes in blood pressure or heart rate occurred in patients with or without heart conditions at a lower dose of 300 mg/day." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12109935 I'm sorry, i'm not trying to troll, I just really want to fully understand this issue...

Well I just got put on wellbutrin for smoking cessation so I'm thinking about actually trying this combo out. Does anyone have any input to why this would or would not be a good idea?

Did you try this?

Well I just got put on wellbutrin for smoking cessation so I'm thinking about actually trying this combo out. Does anyone have any input to why this would or would not be a good idea?

Hey OP, im in the same position. Did you ever try this combo?

Combining two norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors/releasers (or oevrdosing on one) will make you feel awful, constantly on edge, feeling like hell, and puke nonstop - that's why it's a bad idea.

based on experience, i wouldn't take more than 20-60mg of dxm on wellbutrin. that will be enough to give an effect, any more gets to be nasty. also, this combo can cause serotonin syndrome, i've gotten it from combining even as little as 350mg of dxm with wellbutrin, and i weigh 240lbs/

I tried DMX for the first time last evening, was only looking for a short term high to highten sexual experiences. Boy was I wrong. I got a bottle of Benedryl DM 15mg of dim.. per teaspon. I took 5 teaspons at a time over an hour. In total, I took around 200ml or 600mg in one hour and it wasn't hitting me. ..and it did....I could not walk, paranoid so i decide to go to bed..bad idea. I turn off the lights....and that's when the lights came on!!!! Wow... crazy shit man. I work construction so i had to call in this morning cuz I was still looped. Scary night!!!!! Amazing though...no video card on the market could have transmitted that shit. I found myself walking in my house in the middle of the night looking for someone..and the whole place was textured in black and white stripes! My eyes were fully open but everything had the same texture. IN THE DARK!!

I got really paranoid that my neighbours would see me so I looked outside...and It seemed like someone was looking at me from every 3 or 4 windows. The whole neighbourhood was watching! I turned all the lights off. After a bit of hindsight reading, I realized I made it to the 3rd plateau.....yes I am an idiot and yes I was scared. I was up all night talking to cartoons and star warz figures of sorts.... and everything had a computer graphics feel to it with a few really weird intense moments of childhood friends connecting with me on the computer screen asking me what i was doing and that they could see me. my cam/pic....(i dont even have cam) and they were asking why i was sooo weird!!!! It was all images from past past

Even sounds...... the sound of my best friend rollin into my driveway with his bike when I was 13 as I heard it from my room (that gravel sound)...it was so vivid!!! I heard his voice as he sounded back then!! (all recordings in the brain)

I new when it hit me so hard that I had crossed the line and should have startyed small...I'm a big guy 220lbs was a 1 cup bottle...I drank mosLast evening and I am still messed up!!

For future reference, I have come to realize that this combo is extremely dangerous as it can cause serotonin syndrome very easily. Seemed like good idea at the time, but not so much anymore. If you're thinking about this, don't do it. The post above is not really a description of a dxm high, but of a dxm / benadryl high. When using dxm, the first rule is **** Buy a product containing ONLY dxm*****

Thank you OP for wrapping up this thread.

I'm going to close this as it's pretty old, but if you'd like to add anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.