• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiates and muscle spasms/twitching

E

ex junkie

hello bluelight. i've searched briefly through these forums and google as well pretty much unsuccessfully. back in the summer, when i got really deep into heroin i noticed that when i would be withdrawling i would get these twitches or muscle spasms... they're really hard to explain, but it basically feels like i lose control of my body for a second, my eyes blink (possibly roll back inside my head briefly), my arms and legs twitch and move as well. this is NOT the same kind of spasm that people get when they're trying to relax or go to sleep. it may be similar but this twitch will happen any time of day, whether im driving or making food or talking on the phone. and i will drop the food, drop the phone, and completely lose control of the wheel (which is really fucking dangerous)

so i've been on subutex for about three months now, and i still get these twitches. i don't get them every day anymore, but on days where i'm particularly on edge or craving more than others i will get them. sometimes it will only be 5 times in one day, and on bad days where all i wanna do is cop i'll get them literally 100 times before the day is over.

as you can imagine this is very annoying, and really dangerous in some situations. my sub doctor rxed me methocarbomal for them but even if i take a lot i never really feel like it helps. so i'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this, heard of it, or has any suggestions or anything at all. i'm really hoping they go away eventually. oh and i forgot to add i was clean for up to two months at one point (no heroin and no subs either) and i would still get them occasionally. thanks for the help guys. save me bluelight!

Maybe there is an underlying issue not related to your opiate detox? I get real bad spasms if my prescription runs out early (which lately I've been able to exercise enough control that it doesn't) and have found Baclofen works wonders. Ask your sub Dr. about it.

I get little twitches too, but there is like a second before it happens where I know it's coming and can kinda brace for it. Things like the cold definitely set it off, and hey, I'm definitely warmer after it happens. I don't know if it's related to your twitches... I assume mine are a conditioned response of some sort... like I started doing it on some drug while I was cold, and now my body just does it automatically when it feels cold... I dunno, it's a hard thing to try to rationalize. I obviously could be way off with that personal assessment...

opiates and twitching

you are not alone! i take about 250mg.of oxycontin and oxycodone a day.i will twitch and jerk so bad,that my wife threateens to call 911!of course i tell her to chill the f out but she really gets freaked out. i also have ms.its weird because i did not used to do this.it has gradually developed over time.dont know if it is a real problem but is annoying as all hell.i also will talk out loud when going to sleep.really loud!sorry for this useless thread,i think im just plain nuts!

I tend to get eyelid twitching here, and also (not sure if this is an actual spasm) hiccups after eating anything while on noddy doses of opioids/opiates. When in WD these do not manifest however for me.

I got use to it after awhile. I have not found anything that gets rid of it.

Swim twitches to but when Swim is super high. I start twitching all over. I cant stop. I am restless and full of energy and I keep trying to talk. I wont even noticed that I am twitching. people always just tell me and they tell me to sit still and I cant. Does anyonee know the reason to this?

Read the list of side effects that comes with your oxy Rx. Muscle spasms, involuntary twitching should be on there. For me, the more I take, the more I twitch. Thankfully it's not usually a problem, but I scared the shit out of a girl sitting next to me on the train last week, on the way home from work.

We were both reading and minding our own business when, WHAM, huge oxy twitch from my toes to the back of my head. I almost dropped my iPad, and had to apologize to the poor girl who I had accidentally startled like crazy. We were in the quiet car, so it's all silent and Im pretty sure the whole train saw me TWITCH and almost gave her a heart attack.

It happens man. Try to breath, relax, and take it easy with the opiates. It's absolutely the cause.

I think these are "brain zaps" these happen when you are withdrawaling from antidepressants (IE. low on seratonin and dopamine perhaps too) Opiates use up a lot of these chemicals in your brain and especially if you're dependent and doing a lot of them. I find that when I was clean or really lowered the doses, they went away. I find that if you are relaxing or laying down they happen more than if you are up and about. You're low on chemicals, that's all.

i use to get that when i first started experimenting, then i abused other drugs with my opiates :G

I believe the OP is talking about getting twitches while in opiate withdraw, not while high on opiates and in my experience, most definitely. I'll be lying in bed when all of the sudden my lower back or legs will freak out, like I got hit with lightning or something. It's not out of the ordinary.

Only opiate that's ever given me symptoms like yours is Stadol Nasal Spray (butorphanol). It causes muscle twitching and spasming the day after, and also while it's active in my system. I experience muscle pain as well.

Nausea/vomiting are my main issues with all the other opiates. Never have had a problem with muscle spasms or body twitches though. Those sound pretty bad. Might want to ask a doctor about them.

I know this thread is kind of old, but I am going through the same thing as well. Usually it happens a lot more when I'm smoking/high - they're just random little involuntary jerks and spasms; nothing major but it's happening frequently enough to the point where I'm starting to be a bit concerned ... I don't think like I'm gonna die or anything, but I'd just like to find out more about it if anyone has any similar experiences ... does anyone know why these mini-twitches happen? seems to happen more when I'm using too; what does it mean?

I get little spasms/twitches on suboxone as well. Suboxone and tramadol mainly, but I have seen it with other opioids. It may have something to do with opioid agonists inhibitory action on GABAergic neurons and GABA release. Since the GABAergic receptors are inhibitor receptors, so opioids inhibit the inhibitory firing of the neurons and the release of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA which could influence muscle response. Not 100% sure, just speculation

I got the brain zaps when I cold turkied off 40-60mg per day Opana insufflated. My head would also get hot. At one point I was clean 30 days and both symptoms had decreased in frequency alot by then. I never got twitches in withdrawl nor while on opiates. I did not get brain zaps or hot head the two times that I've tapered off opiates(morphine & oxycodone) but those habits were alot smaller than the Opana habit. I do get twitches if I smoke pot, which is one of the reasons I don't smoke pot anymore. That and it(pot)makes me paraniod, gives me irrational thoughts and makes me hypersensitive to my chronic pain.

twitching while in withdrawl is a common sympton,and is where the expression "kicking" comes from....

twitching

i twitch when normal,withdrawing and high
I twitch when I'm high on heroin. I twitch really bad it scares me! I assume its from the heroin. It never happens in withdrawal only when I'm high.I seen ppl talking about "brain zaps" on here. The only time I had those is when I had a really bad tramodol habit. I would move my eyes then bamm zapppp! That sucked ..anyone experience this??