• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dilaudid withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeycarface

Greenlighter
Hey all, I have been snorting a moderate amount of dilaudid 2mg daily, and it's scary how quickly a dependency can build up. I now want to go off of this entirely, and I'm curious about what withdrawal symptoms I should expect, how I should taper, etc. etc. Should I taper by taking smaller doses of the drug orally? How long will these crappy feelings (mainly headache and some muscle spasms and sleeplessness) last? Can I take anything else to deal with the symptoms? I don't trust the "mainstream" detox info I'm finding online.

I'm also trying to go off 50mg prescribed Zoloft at the same time so perhaps some of these symptoms are actually from that...

Detox from one drug at a time.

Start by swallowing, not snorting your pills. (Lower BA = Less drug = Tapering) Few days later, swallow halves at a time, so on so on.

Use the search engine.

Cy

Yes, one drug at a time.

The good thing about dilaudid is you can detox from it faster than almost any opiate out there.

The bad part about it is it is a very severe withdrawal. Sorry.....If you can last a week, you have i made. I've quit probably ten times or so in my life. Trust me though, even though the withdrawal seems like hell, the short duration of it is a blessing. I would rather come off dilaudid and go through hell for 6-7 days then come off methadone and feel like shit for 2 months.

If I were you, I would stay close to the same amount you were snorting, but swallow. For the first few days, your going to want a decent dose when switching from snorting. If you lower it too much, you will just be overcome and start snorting again. To be comfortable, 4mgs per day is a good taper. Thats what the doctor used for me. If you wanna spedd things up then go 6-8mgs per day.

if you only use 2mg a day, it should be a very mild withdrawl. how long have you been doing 2mg a day?

i would just cold turkey, hydromorphone wds are over quick

ya 2mg aint shit plus its only snorted u should barely feel anything. just stop taking it if u want to get off in my experience taper only works if i taper to softer drug like codeine. and thats only to alleviate major symptoms

You don't have to go completely cold turkey.

Ask your doc for clonidine. It is alpha adrenergic blocker.

It is normaly used to treat high blood pressure which happens in w/d. It's main benefit seems to be a 'dampening' of the hyper excitablabilty.

One drug at a time and tapering as slowly as possible will reduce WD. The problem is staying strict and sticking to the taper.

Yes, definitely do one at a time. Dilaudid withdrawal in my opinion is a bitch because it hits you FAST. The good thing is that it does not last TOO long. A handful of days in terms of the real bad physical symptoms. Like Cyb said, try swallowing the dilaudid to decrease the amount absorbed. Maybe then the w/d won't be as bad as tapers are usually quite effective.

When I was shooting it I would hit withdrawal in a few hrs! But as everyone is saying. It's quick and severe. Tapering with definately help.

Hey all, I have been snorting a moderate amount of dilaudid 2mg daily, and it's scary how quickly a dependency can build up. I now want to go off of this entirely, and I'm curious about what withdrawal symptoms I should expect, how I should taper, etc. etc. Should I taper by taking smaller doses of the drug orally? How long will these crappy feelings (mainly headache and some muscle spasms and sleeplessness) last? Can I take anything else to deal with the symptoms? I don't trust the "mainstream" detox info I'm finding online.

I'm also trying to go off 50mg prescribed Zoloft at the same time so perhaps some of these symptoms are actually from that...

so you are on 2mg daily insulflation of hydromorphone? your withdrawals shouldnt be bad at all. runny nose, maybe an upset stomach, maybe the chills. it should be minimal. at this dose i wouldnt even recommend a taper as the dosage just isnt big enough. cold turkey wont be bad so just go for that.

I agree with Memphis, an extensive taper schedule is really not needed. Maybe a 5 day taper and you should be fine. I have withdrawn from oxy/heroin/suboxone more times than I would like to remember - and have also withdrawn from hydromorphone. I only had access to 2-4mg daily for about 8 weeks (broken wrist). I would say the withdrawl was really nothing notable aside from slight chills/uncomfortable feeling for 3-4 days (without any other opiates & after being clean for ~3 months). Compared to 160mgs of oxycodone or a bundle of NJ heroin daily this really isn't much. I can honestly say this with a good amount of first hand experience in a similar situation to your own.

Day 1: 2mg (All orally)
Day 2: 1.5mg
Day 3: 1mg
Day 4: 0.5mg
Day 5: 0.25mg

Thanks--

Everyone for the extensive feedback -- it's made me feel more comfortable about all of this.

And yes, I realize 2mg/day is small change, but it still freaked me out. (Mainly because after limiting myself to a 2mg pill/day I started wanting a pill and a half a day, etc etc, after only a week of use...So I can imagine how quickly this can spin out of control.)

Dilaudid follow-up

Thanks again everyone -- one quick follow-up question, as I'm running out of the meds entirely and just curious what to expect...

I have about two pills left and decided to just take a day off entirely to see how my body felt...The last time I took any of the drug was about 8pm last night -- it's now 2pm the next day. I feel a little ache in my legs but otherwise pretty okay...Should I expect to be feeling the worst of any detox feelings by now, or should I expect that it would get worse as the day goes on? If I'm past the hump already I'd rather just not take any more and deal with this small discomfort..

Well, you should feel decently bad by now. I would expect it to peak within the next 24 hours and slowly get better. Lucky for you dilaudid has an extremely short half-life, meaning that the withdrawl will be short-lived. If you're not feeling too bad by now I wouldn't expect any crazy WDs but you never know. What kind of dose were you taking/what ROA.

When are you expecting to get a resupply of your meds. If you've been eating the dilaudid's you might be able to switch your ROA to take advantage of the enhanced bioavailability of other ROAs.

For Example: Let's say you've been eating 8mg's per day and you only have 2 8mg dillies left with 4 days until your resupply. You could now try and snort 4mg per day to roughly the same effect while doubling the doses left to make it to the resupply.

That's just an idea if you're comfortable snorting pills. This is all speculative though, I don't know your dose/roa/resupply date.

I've been snorting 2mg/day, no more. Yesterday actually just a bit shy of 2mg--generally half the pill midday, half late afternoon.

I don't have any resupply date--won't be getting any more of these.

You will be okay get some advil for the muscle aches pot is a big help as well. I would be more freaked out about coming off the zoloft then the hydromorphone. I think insomnia is gonna be your biggest issue if you have access to benzos I would use them to take the edge off.

Agreed with crimson, although not with some other people, 2mg snorted hydromorphone does do something, not everybody has an opiate tolerance.

And yeah, insomnia is probably going to be your biggest issue. If you can't get benzos (or don't want to risk replacing one addictive drug with another), go for diphenhydramine...aka benadryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.