• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude2TragedyII

Bluelighter
Growing temp?
Curious, I just started my first grow, 2 plants, in my closet, I've got 6 bulbs, CFL daylights, 23 watts each, and 6 soft whites for flowering.
My ph is about 6.5-6.8
I haven't given nutes or anything yet as they are only about a week or two.

When putting in the daylight bulbs I noticed quite a temp increase, went from 80 to 87-90, and has been fluctuating around there.
though, thats just putting a temp monitor in the pot that the plant itself is in, when I put it in another area in the closet it goes to 80.

Basically my question is, I have a fan on my plants, with the closet being an average of 80 degrees, and the temp reading 87 on the soil , will everything be alright or do Is there something else I need to do.

Also, I have a 2-1-1(40:20:20) mix, and I was wondering when to start giving nutes ( I mixed peat moss with a small amount of fertilized potting soil)

Thanks for any advice or help in advance.

Those temps should be fine for now, but you may want to add some ventilation once they start flowering.

Start feeding once the lowest leafs start to turn pale/yellow. Good indication that your plants are becoming hungry;)

Well, as for ventilation, it's in my closet, with a fan blowing on the lights/plants. to help keep air moving in that area. When they do flower, the Soft White CFLs(which I believe are used for flowing) kept the temp around 78-80...
But, Im Vegging right now so I need the daylight bulbs. which is where the heat came from, so, they should be fine for now while vegging in the heat, and when flowing, the other bulbs will be much coolers, so hopefully that all works out, thanks Wise420,
And Clara, what are the silicon supplements used for? where would I find them?

And sega, yes, they are 23 watt bulbs, I take it you didn't take time to read that I've got 12 bulbs.

-And thank you all again for the tips, all are appreciated. Ill try to take a pic of my grow box and post it, maybe someone could help me find some ways to vent it, I bet buying some clamps and sperating the bulbs would displace heat quite well, but I don't wanna have to go buy a whole bunch of gooseneck clamps.

yes i did read the whole post.

one 400w HPS would be much more efficient than all those wee 23 watters

but this is your first grow, have fun

dynatek makes a potassium sillicate that is bomb. The hydro shop by my house swears by it. so do i..... my plants get up to 95 degrees in the dark cycle sometimes....... attic grow gets hot in the day... but the sillicate enables them to not even stress about the heat. It also strengthens cell walls against pest attack.

Ah, went out last night, came home this morning, my plant grew an inch and a half and was on the bulb, one leaf was slightly burned, yellow, but still a little moist, Im sure it will be fine....

Dynagrow has what you were talking about skittle, but not dynatek, thank you though for the info, I do appreciate it, now to go work on getting my pH to drop 1 or .5

(also I came back this morning , after leaving the lights on the entire night, it was 82 inside the box, so maybe things will be fine?)

man, theyll be fine.

youd be amazed at how much abuse cannabis plants can take. the last grow that was going,
i actually kept 2 males alive, just to experiment and see how much they can take.
literally hacked them to bits, it looked like someone had strapped dynamite to it!

guess what? they bounced right back. they were under-watered, abused with heat, over-watered, hacked up more, and guess what? they just wouldnt die!

so plants can take a LOT of damage before they give up!

one thing though if you're doing hydro -
keep a sharp eye on that PH level at all times! one slip up and bam, dead plants :(

soil is more forgiving, so i prefer it. but im glad you're enjoying the world of gardening =D

Well, at the time, i was looking at HPS, I would've been able to afford the bulb, but not the ballast, plus this is my first grow, and I don't have much cash.

But I do appreciate all the info, Plants seem to be doing fine in the closet, the burned plant looks fine , and the heat just seems to slow the grow down a little, but thanks all for the info,
I guess weed is a weed, and they are all pretty damn hard to kill and get rid off...
but I only permit special weeds to grow in my pots...lol
Thanks again.

-Anyone know a natural way of lowering pH, Ive got a 7.0 reading, want it around 6.5 , 6.0 , I know it doesnt have to be perfect but, I would just like to do the best I can for these plants with my first grow.
Ive been looking for pH up and pH down, but the local nursieries don't seem to have it, neither did OSH, Home Depot or Lowes.

you need to get rid of all that peat, you will never get the PH settled, but try lime dolimite.

the peat is going to drown your roots too.

you should go get some cococoir and pearlite, or some roots organic organic soil. there is most likely the correct amount of peat in your potting soil.

3 cococoir
2 pearlite
1.5 S. peatmoss
.5 -.7guaranteed analysis compost, the stuff can make you or your plants very sick if not guarenteed sanitized.using in door, or in a container.
1/20 of volume wormcasts mixed in, or better yet, as top soil.

Ah, went out last night, came home this morning, my plant grew an inch and a half and was on the bulb, one leaf was slightly burned, yellow, but still a little moist, Im sure it will be fine....

Dynagrow has what you were talking about skittle, but not dynatek, thank you though for the info, I do appreciate it, now to go work on getting my pH to drop 1 or .5

(also I came back this morning , after leaving the lights on the entire night, it was 82 inside the box, so maybe things will be fine?)

yeah dynagrows the brand Pro tekts the product, hella high.

if you CAN, set one plant aside and hack it to bits when its big enough.

experiment to see how much they can take.

enjoy the amazement youll give yourself when she bounces back and gives you bud ;)

man, theyll be fine.

youd be amazed at how much abuse cannabis plants can take. the last grow that was going,
i actually kept 2 males alive, just to experiment and see how much they can take.
literally hacked them to bits, it looked like someone had strapped dynamite to it!

guess what? they bounced right back. they were under-watered, abused with heat, over-watered, hacked up more, and guess what? they just wouldnt die!

so plants can take a LOT of damage before they give up!

one thing though if you're doing hydro -
keep a sharp eye on that PH level at all times! one slip up and bam, dead plants :(

soil is more forgiving, so i prefer it. but im glad you're enjoying the world of gardening =D

On point as always sega, I was reading your whole post thinking what!!

this mother fucker can destroy his plants and they bounce back yet if my ph slips past 6.2 for a couple hours everything is dead.

Sigh soil is more forgiving.... my first grow hydro 2 plants out of 6 survived. It really is a bitch, but its an art not a science, well its a science than an art in that order I suppose.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/ShadowOfEnigma/aassd.jpg

aassd.jpg

picture of it, this is week 3, I buried the stem a bit more when I repotted,is that okay? and temp is down to 84

yes, i know , low quality, from my cell phone, Ill have my girl take a pic with hers, it will look better , but , does it look alright, healthy anyways?

Last edited:
need help with the ph, right now its about 7.5, I want to lower it but don't have cash to buy any ph-up, or ph-down.

I've got a reverse osmosis system for water installed for the house, but the faucet water has sulfur in it, it smells, and it taste bad, I read sulfur can lower ph but I honestly doubt the levels in of sulfur in the water would be high enough to do anything..

Anyone?
And does that plant look healthy?

Also- I did change into a new pot, 4 or 5 gallon, 30-35%perlite, 30-35% of peetmoss, about 30-40 of some soil.

Well, as of late the temp has dropped, I messed with my lighting, got a few clamps and and reflectors, seperated the lights some, and the temp right now is 78degrees and 28% humidity.

I've been watering my plant about every 2-3 days , with 30-10-10 , I just recently started adding the nutes.

I've got a question about my plant though, hopefully I will be able to post pictures and get some help later tonight, but, the new growth on the leafs seems to be a bright green/yellowish color.
I was reading up a bit, seemed like a calcium definicy, Im thinking its because my ph is 7.5 , I don't know how to lower it, should I just go buy some dolomite lime? Should I flush the plant with water?
I know its not burn from the lights, and it doesnt look like a nute burn, the plant seems healthy, (IMO, but this is my first grow),

So , does anyone know what new growth that is bright green/yellow means? What to do to solve the problem?

Also, how do I lower my ph by 1, or 2, it's too alkaline, its almost reading an 8.

Some one please help, I don't want this thing to die, its the only one that made it out of 4, the rest had root problems, and were very weak, this plant is still in good health and can be saved. Ill get in a pic tonight if I can, but, any advice is appreciated, even if its judged without a pic.

I also changed the plants soil, changed it from 60%peat 40%soil to 35% peet moss, 35% perlite and about 30% of soil mix. , is that an alright mix? I was needing better drainage, the water was just being retained in the peetmoss , as someone had said....
So, thats my mix, I've got 200 watts of CFL daylights on this plant, so, help is much appreciated.(and 30-10-10 fert is being used)

Last edited:
yellow.....you need more nitrogen. the 30-10-10 should take care of it....give it a chance to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.