• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude just give it regular water from your faucet and dont fuss with it.. make sure the soil stays moist but not soggy and it will grow i promise you.

LoL.
I'm not worried about it growing, it grows just fine, I just would like to take the best care of this plant, as I've said, because less stress = more chance for female, and this was the only plant of 6 that made it, this is my first grow, so , the more I learn this time around will help me from needing to come back here and post more forums about why my plant looks bad.

does the plant look female?
and you were speaking of a '3 leaf'
and a short plant, well, this plant is about , 10 inches, if that. about 1 1/4 month old.
It's got a few of those '3 leafs' at the bottom, when it first started growing, and a few in other places, but now it's just growing nine leaves everywhere I see, though there are some new odd looking leaves popping up from the bottom, (probably the 3.)

Anyways, I can see where the female/male parts would be , but I can't seem to find the part.I think I said that already?

Anyways, yeah, Im watering my plant when the pot is light, or ever 4-5 days, and I using about 1/4th fert on every other water.(30-15-15)
I guess I'll continue using lemon juice and mineral water...
(and I don't like using the tap because the area I live in has high levels of sulfur, and smells awful, hence why I even own a reverse osmosis system in the house.)

Anyways, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.Truly do.

nooo dont dump that sulfur smelling water on there! lol my water is full of iron, its terrible. if you have a reverse osmosis 3 barrel(?) system, that should work wonders, id love to have one of those, i will have to eventually, those 5 gallon jugs of water suck! especially in my shape lol

but, id let a bit more water stay in the pot, during veg, tou want the soil to stay wet, your method of lifting the pot is good, but once flowering, thats when you want it to almost be dry.

im confused, are you using sphagnum peat? because that should be acidic(low ph) idk wtf, i think about your lil plant lol, and wonder about that.

but yeah, its all learning now, dont get discouraged. its a hobby that gets expensive, there are so many methods, and equipment. ;) but you will find your groove, and what works for you.

9 leafs eh??? that means shes in her most comfy environment?!? maybe youll pull some 11 finger leafs. the blueberry i grow, have all 3 finger leafs, same with others ive chatted with, and many pics of the BB by the breeder DJ Short who created the BB hybrid have 3 fingers as well.

i dont see the spots?!? but, i do see, and it should be fine, but just so you know, the bubbly wrinkly part on some of the leafs if you noticed, is fom the plant trying to, um, exhale moisture but having trouble.

if you get into cloning ;) which you really should if its a she, which it does give me the vibe of. it is a common practice to clip a 1/4 the way down the leaf, so its flat with no point, to help it 'exhale' the excess moisture. if this continues and progresses for more then a week, snip evenly, or not for crazy looking growth ;) at the leafs above the fan leafs, leave the fans alone, they are like major solar panels, and store most the plants glucose, carbs, and other necessities.

if you need to do that, you will know though.

how many nodes do you have? 4? has it started any uneven branching as i had described? dont flower until that at least starts happening, get her up to a foot. when you go to flower she will grow 50-100% in size, very fast after 2 weeks(growthspurt). a good veg really pays off, and you have the room for a massive root ball! ive only used 2 5 gllon grow bags, other wise its 3 gallon bags, or 1-3 in hydro, a round 1.5L round pot with the bottom cut out and a screen placed in, resting halfway in an equal sized square pot half full of hydroton.

but, im waiting on my betobuckets now.

really though, why in the world would the ph be so high?!? are you giving it pelligrino? if so, im jealous haha ive often wondered what that would do, with the co2 in there heheh. but, all those minerals like Mg, will cause those spots, and or nutrient lock out if applied too often.

i use earth juice microblast for trace elements, and that is much different levels then your mineral water, dont tell me perrie! but this calls for 1/2 tbsp every 2-4 weeks for large container plants. or 1 tbsp per gallon once a month for a 100sq foot garden...

anyway, yeah just keep giving some purified water for the next few waterings, and then like half that NPK value, 7.5 2.5 2.5.

your going to need something different for flowering, like 2.5 7 4.

go to a nuserie, say you are growing tomatoes the first time, what ever they give you should be good, but make sure they know they are in pots, on your apartment patio.... yeaaah

dude just give it regular water from your faucet and dont fuss with it.. make sure the soil stays moist but not soggy and it will grow i promise you.

thats for sure,....I wish my little plants looked that good...

lol, yes, sulfur smelling water is baaaad. haha.
alright, I guess Ill water it a bit more often, once I feel that the soil is dry, or , not too moist.
I actually used peat moss, maybe that the problem?idk. 1/3peat1/3soil and 1/3,maybe a little less than 1/3 of perlite.
Now, the lemon thing seems to work, I'm going to continue to use it, unless anyone knows of it having adverse effects.

Hah, I still want to know the sex of this plant so badly. so so badly.
If I remember which seed this plant was or is, I believe it was the only indica seed I had. Im not quite sure though, they got mixed up when I repotted and all died except this one, I didn't know who this little girl(ihope)is.

Yup, 9 leaf, when I first started, she was only putting out five (I started with 100 watts , since then Ive increased to about 200watts of CFL. So many bulbs, my closet looks like the sun is hiding in there at night, before I turn my lights off. lol...

As for my nodes, are nodes on both sides, or just one way going upwards, I believe its 4 nodes , or starting on its 4th or 5th, (I believe, Im not sure Im counting them right)

If she is female, I will definantly be wanting to clone her, I already have rooting gel/hormone or what ever it is, Just incase it is female...
Do you know of any picture guides to cloning?

Also, do you thing a ScrOG method would work in getting me more out of this plant? or should I just grow it a foot.(I was thinking 1 1/2-2, is that too much? Does it degrade with higher growth?)

I don't have any Co2 system , no yeast or anything in there...should I?
Is it really worth it ? from what I've read its just a waste of time with yeast and what not, all it does is help harvest 1-2 days early, if you have a good c02 setup.

I know , I was told my fertz for flowering should be opposite of that when I veg, so 15-30-30, I think, or 15-15-30..lol

As for the mineral drink, its called,Essential minerals, this is what it has "Proprietary Plant-Sourced Major Trace and Ultra-Trace Mineral Blend Including:
Carbon (Organic), Potassium, Phosphorus, Calcium, Sulfur, Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride, Iron, Aluminum, Silica, Fluorine, Iodine, Vanadium, Lithium, Manganese, Selenium, Boron, Strontium, Zinc and Tin."
I figured that couldnt be too bad for the plant? lolll...idk, I just put half of a tea spoon in a half gallon, can't be THAT bad.

But yea, so , 2-7-4 is what I want for flower?after a 30-15-15?
So, I stop a week or two before harvest with nutes right?
do I have to flush it or just water with regular water, and , also, how do you flush?
just water and watch it fall out the bottom or what? Ive never dont it before, and I know everyones always preaching about not overwatering your plants, lol, thats one of my biggest fears, is over watering, underwatering,well, with that much peat moss Im not sure its possible.

Woke up this morning, and it was 70 degrees where the plant was (69 actually), and the leaves curled upwards while I went to bed, (the lights were off) , whats going on with that? is it normal? I watered them with that lemon and mineral water, which had a ph of 5.5, and the soil was 8, the leaves went back to normal, they are starting to go upwards again, and I don't want to over water it, and I changed my lights around, took them back, and made sure the fan is blowing upwards, and expelling high from most all the light bulbs...so, Im lost...I know, some of you guys think that it looks healthy...I just know , theres healthier to be had ;)
Im also very interested in doing this to keep my mind off of other things, just got out of a 6 year opiate addiction , kinda helps to have something to look forward to...

Last edited:
scrogs are nice yes, but, some plants may not be very suitable.

i wouldnt mess with that, but, with one plant, and your light situation, that could be worth the try.

2 7 4, well that all depends on how often you water. i wouldnt hit my plants with anything much above 10. my bat guano is 2-10-.2 i believe, and i add that every 3 weeks with soil. but, to each his own on that, i would hit them with those leves except for once every 3-4 weeks flowering. or lightly more often. >< ><

less stress = more chance for female

yeah but doing all sorts of crazy stuff will stress out the plant... it already looks stressed to me :p a seedling will be happy in regular potting soil with plain water, though if you have a reverse osmosis thing use that of course

the leaves shouldn't have those ridges on them or curl up like that, they should lay flat and feel soft. i would just water with RO water for a while don't mess with the ph or add nutes

well his soil was an 8! and keeps going back up...

have you been adjusting the ph when applying the nutrients?

No, I usually don't use nutes and try to adjust the ph at the same time,
Im pretty sure that ferts can change the ph over time while using them, so I give it a day and see where the ph is at, every time I use nutes, the ph read at 7.
When Ive been using the lemon/water, I usually get it down to a ph of 5..
I guess I can try just giving it regular water, but, it didn't seem to help in the first place. my leaves have been curling upward and continue to do so,the leaves aren't cripsy, I can tell they are moist, and I can bend them some length without any breakage...
So , theres no lack in water...
I've been checking the heat pretty often, hasn't gone above 82 today.
Plant is starting to get off a vegitble odor, but, still, no signs of its sex.

thats chlorophill, i bet those wrinkly bubble spots will be gones soon, and you leafs may yellow a bit. no watering sheduel or ferts will help the heat stress signs, i was curious if when mixing the ferts if you check the ph at that time. my ph drops to a 4-4.5 when i add the ferts.

high phsphorus will raise it an 8 or so. these canna nutrients have a ph buffer in them, and are stable upon diluting. schweeet.

that veggie odor will start smelling better soon, usually when the lights go off, i just had to go into my flowering room, and oh man, it smelled like i stuck my face in the sweatest jar-o-buds... mmm

you wont get any sex pistols until you hit 12/12. then another week, maybe two.

but wait for that node growth change, or get her up to 10"s or so.

ggg4.jpg

plant today...
no water today.
So, you say I wont be able to tell if its male or female untill I actually flower?
I thought you could determine by preflowers..? Everything I thought was a preflower so far turns into a leaf, haha, it's starting to grow quite a few 3 leaf at the bottom, no 11 leaf, just 9 still :( , i wish it was happy enough for 11, lol...anyways, so, I should just give regular water for a while then?

And I check my ph when I add my fert to water and to soil, in water its about 7.0, once in the soil its about 7.5, but thats cause the soil is usually 8, which , as we know by now is why I have been using lemon , and , mineral drink for my plant, hah, well, I guess we will see what water will do alone (and as for my 30-15-15. Ionly use about 1/4-1/8th of what the regular dose is depending on which watering it is...

I put 3 small glass bowls filled with water next to the plant, in the pot under the lights, I also put an open container under and infront of the fan...
hopefully the moisture /humidity will help, Im trying this before I bring out my humidifier, I dont want to have to put ANOTHER plug in the wall, lol...
Already have an electrical socket in the wall running 8 light bulbs and a fan , lol, wonder if it could handle a humidifer...

Anywho, plant doesnt seem to be getting any healther, growth has slowed down some, the plant is starting to put off a vegitive odor.(smells a bit stronger now, I can smell it from a foot or two away)
Still can't tell sex :/

Last edited:
its going to be quite some time before you see any preflowers.....unless you change to 12/12 lights.

the glass or bowl next to it should be fine, just enough.

it looks really good :D.

this is 1/2 patience, you can work around it, but inevitability, time rules. there aint nothing wrong with 9 fingers man, you hit a sweet spot, take it easy be methodical, and well, hopefully youll be rewarded. the extra thought and effort really does pay off.

i can get burnt out, and frustrated, and wish i could give up sometimes, and be able to buy it, but no way. let it be a thing of passion, and patience, youll find your strain eventually, your set up, your way of doing it; it just takes a year or two to get going properly, especially on your own... heh

youre learning a lot the hard way, go with it, those lessons are learned well! learned well indeed.

Really? I thought preflowers would show in the next week or two?
I really dont want to , but , how much stress would 12/12 put on the plant, if I just 12/12 to sex the plant the back to veg, can it go from flower back to veg?
Would this possibly create a hermy?
How many weeks in does a plant normally show pre flower...
Would I have to sit there and pick the pistils off if it did show signs of female?
or, would I leave what ever it puts out during 12/12 ,and countiue vegging after I find the sex

(And as for growing in smaller pots, I started in plastic cup, went to a half gal, to a gallon, to a 5 gallon.(transplanting so often was really slowing down the growth.)

-Thank you panic-
lol, the lessons are learned, yes.
Hopefully smoking what these lessons produce won't make me forget what I learned...haha
But yeah, right now , Im just getting used to the whole process , finding out what works, what doesnt ,
I'll be excited once I move out with my g/f soon, then we will have our own place, and Iwont have to stealth grow in a closet(even though thats where I will still probably grow,Ill be able to have more than just...one..)
I currently live with my family, (grandparents), they saw my closet lit up at night when I was gone, so they looked inside, saw the baby plant , and asked why I had it in my closet, just told them I was trying something different, I was tired of growing plants with the sun...and they bought it...haha)

So far I haven't gotten to frustrated with the plant, or how its acting, gives me something to do with my time to keep my mind off of other crap. Also, gives me something to look forward to.

I have a curious question though, I see quite a few people grow out of bags, actual bags, now, is this a good idea? is there better ventaltion, water drainage? is there a benefit to bags over pots?

And, Say, I save enough money , and this plant is a female, if I clone it (which I do plan on doing if its fem, and I'll need a guide if anyone has one or knows of one , Id appreciate a link)

How much of a difference would a 200-400 watt hps make, I mean, 200watts of CFL doesn't seem too awful for this plant, seems to be pretty happy, sometimes, (bipolar plant)
Do they grow quicker? or stronger? Do they produce more buds? Does it eliminate the need to change lights during flowering? What about heat? how much do they produce?

Last edited:
it will go back to veg but it will take time.....you don't have to pick anything off....they will just go away....in my experience, it ususally takes at least 6 weeks or more before it will preflower on its own...its almost easier to take a cutting and then set the cutting under 12/12 to find out the sex...let the plant continue to veg.....after you find out the sex of the cutting, just throw it away...

Alright, thanks, I think I will do that, is it okay to cut right now?
It's got I think 5 nodes, and it's starting to unevenly branch out in random places (well, inbetween other branches branching out)

so , I thought you were supposed to cut diagonally..
But I was told to cut it straight , then put in rooting gel, what do I do from there? put it in water or soil?

take the cutting first and then hold the end of it under running water while you make the dialgonal cut....dip it in the gel and set it in a peat pot of wet soil and put it straight under 12/12 light......it will probably show its sex before it roots....but it doesn't really matter....if it turns out to be a girl, you might want to keep it and let it root and put it back to veg....

here's a good site for growers.....rollitup.org

Last edited:
^ You need to wait a few weeks to do this but I'm going to try to take pictures of my next batch of clones and make a beginners thread on it, because this process is not easy.

In short, there are many ways to take cuttings, but it takes even more patience and care than your veg plant does. heres what you need:

1) Soiless medium (No plant food what so ever), I use vermiculite and peat moss.
2) very small container preferably with a lid/plastic dome on top
3) heating pad (for any temps below 70 degrees)....i currently am using a small electric blanket
4) sterilized and sharp scissors or razor blade
5) rooting gel

Here's what you do.

Take your mother plant and pick a good spot to cut ( usually bottom branches ), find a small arm with at least three nodes on it. Cut it at a 45 degree angle at least 1/4 inch from bottom node. Cut the bottom node flush with the plant, exposing the inner branch (looks just like the bottom-this is where roots grow out of). Dip the plant in rooting gel up past where your flush cut was made.
Place the plant in the medium.

Your medium should ALWAYS be moist and NEVER WET and NEVER DRY

keep close to 80 degrees at all times.

takes about one to two weeks to ROOT

transplant

done.

as for your lights, your flouros will work just fine for the clones (you actually DONT want to use anything but flouros (or maybe LED) for your clones) and should be on a 24 hours a day.

as for the others, well HPS is usually the best first choice...they make all the difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.