• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess I shouldn't even be so worried about it, 1 plan't and I don't even know the sex yet, and I don't wana flower it for another month or two, kinda sucks, I hope I dont get there and find this damn thing is just a male...

Im trying to get all this stuff right first time around because I read somewhere less stress=more females, I know , with one plant, it may not make a huge difference, but, if I can get a female plant by just treating it right , then thats what Ill do.

Well, I've currently got 175 watts, well,Seven, 23 watt bulbs,
I think I might be doing a ScrOG, so, can I tell the plant before it flowers? or , do I just have to 12/12 to find out..?

Thanks for the info...
went to OSH, Home Depot, and Lowes today to look for some lime dolomite, couldn't find it anywhere, couldn't find any fox farms ph-up/down either, blah...Im not comfortable with my meter reading 8.

the more blue 6500 kelvin lights you use up your chances of getting fems.

you can flip them onto 12/12 for a day or 2-3 and try and pull out some pistols, but, this will stress them - some strains may not like that action very much.

no, 8 is not good, you will allow a large amount of trace elements in, which could cause nutrient lock out... Lime Dolomite will regulate your PH, but idk how that works out in small containers, and is normally premixed into your medium, but if you need it... you should use some lemon juice in neutral distilled water, until the ph is like a 6, gold color water.

that soil mix should do a lot better, but hehe, next time you will be stunned if you use 2 part cococoir - 1.5 parts pearlite - 1 part Sphagnum peatmoss - .7 guaranteed nutrient analysis and sterilized compost.

if you can find hydroton, little clay balls, line the bottom 2" of the bottom of your pots with that, it will help big time with aeration, and water drainage.

Mixed lemon with water to get a ph of about 5, watered my plant a little, and also in little spots around the 5gal pot I have it in, I noticed really fast growth after adding the lemon/water.
the plant perked up and seems to look much healther , looks to have grown half an inch just today,
so, is it safe to use the lemons to lower my ph or will that stress out the plant?
I can't find lime dolomite anywhere, also can't find any ph-up'/down, I've been everywhere I could think that would have them,
Still not sure if the plant is male or female, I think it should pre flower soon, Im scared it's looking male :( , even so, it's my only plant, if I harvest the seeds, is it possible to plant them and grow a potent female, assuming the female is potent to begin?

pH 5 is way too low for a soil grow. you can get pH Down at a swimming pool supply store.

no no, I got my water to 5, my soil was 8, I watered my soil, it went down to 6.5-7.0. so, its fine now, it actually started growing quite rapidly. Im sure it was time for it to start taking off though, It's too young to tell sex yet , but, Im still hoping for a female *thought that some preleaves that were coming out of weird places were premale flowers...but its just a another leaf

male seedlings seem to like to jump up fast, and het tall - grow true leafs, then a second set pretty quick.

fems, they seem to take a bit more time, working on their root system, seems the young more mature desicion to make ;) they will work more on their true leaf development/detail maybe a couple more points and then up to a second set...

you see? your males will more then likely be the taller, lanier, stretched plants, the females more solid looking, more developed even though they are smaller. after a few PoPs you will start to notice, but dont flower yet!! you should wait for the nodes to start growing unevenly, the branches on either side, wont be in line from left to right. they are ready then, but vegetating is very very underated, i try and wait for mine to get to 14-18"s, and if shes a lovely, then clonning steps into the field.

properly well veg'd plants will put out more, and more healthy buds.

your plants will grow much much quicker if you use smaller pots, almost root bind then step up a from a quart pot, to a 3gal and the will take off once the roots settle and start spreading in the 3gal.

hydroponics, and flood tables are amazingly simple, but intemindating, using an ebb and flood system for vegetation, you will get your 3-5" clones up to a foot or 1.5' in 3 weeks.... then drop em in soil, or cococoir for the flowering.

the leafs you are talking about are good though, they are developing their slips, these should accumulate and stretch out pretty quick here soon. this is the step before sexing.

ooh la

thank you for that, I appreciate it,
nice to know whats going to happen,
plants looking nice though, as you said, leaves are taking off as well.

no no, I got my water to 5, my soil was 8, I watered my soil, it went down to 6.5-7.0. so, its fine now, it actually started growing quite rapidly. Im sure it was time for it to start taking off though, It's too young to tell sex yet , but, Im still hoping for a female *thought that some preleaves that were coming out of weird places were premale flowers...but its just a another leaf

thats perfect..

Well, i went to sleep, and woke up this morning, I think my plant is in need of some care...

I woke up and looked at the plant, first thing (it's on a 18/6 scheduel)
All of the leaves are bending upwards, seeming like they want to fold in half...

Old growth looks fine, except, the vein down the middle is bright green,like the new growth,
and the new growth is bright green, with very few small yellow spots on them, am I over nuting? or under nuting?
Is this having to do with nute lock out?
Ph?
my plant is not looking happy...at all...
so until I find out whats up, i raised my lights a bit, went from 1 1/2 inches, to 3,reduce the heat/stress..

If anyone knows whats up, I would appreciate it,
I've looked through quite a few threads, but, I never saw people
having problems with their leaves folding up not from tip to stem, but, horizontally , like a book, the leaves are just closing up, its weird...idk...
tried to be as descriptive as I could, if no one knows whats up , Ill get my g/f over here to take a pic of it...

I know everyone says to just relax and let the plant do its own thing, I just want to help it the most I can,
really hoping this baby doesn't fail on me, it's the only one that lived, and it looks pretttyylol

I read somewhere that this could be from the temps being over 80 degrees, and that this is what they do when the older fan leaves are trying to dissapait water, does anyone know if this is correct? I do have my setup running around 78-85 degrees with a fan blowing upwards towards the lights to push the heat away and up.
Should I move my lights further away and keep them 2 1/2 -3 inches ( I figure that might really slow down a CFL grow)
or should I just continue with where my lights were??

Also, I know I keep asking many many questions.
I was looking at my large fan leaves that have been there the longest, they have what looks like, little leaves starting to grow ontop of that fan leaf, is this normal? Im not positive they are new leaf growth, but , it looks odd, a fan leaf, with about 5 or 6 little green ...strings on it, and I dont think they are pistils

Pretty sure its a combo of over nuting a healthy plant and a little too much heat, Im going to take back the lights, refrain from watering and nutes for a few days, and see how it goes.

Ill still take suggestions of other Ideas though . ty for all the help and advice I've already been given on this .

Last edited:
I changed the direction of the fan, pulled the lights up slightly, the plant seemed to improve slightly, but still, the leaves are curled upwards (I saw someone else describe it as the leaves 'praying')
and on one leaf(which I figure if its in one spot it is going to be in others)
is green, with very small patches of yellow on the leaf

anyone knows what causes leaves to fold upwards and droop downwards?

man, it sounds like a phopherous problem, or Mg od, or if your ph was too high too long, like an 8, could cause lockout......

man, i dont know what that is youre talking about with the fan leafs.

you should flush it out: you are going to need 3x the water, so 15 gallons for a 5 gallon pot. yikes, set it up so water can run out the bottom and onto the ground, and start rinsing....

ideally a vegetating plant would like 78 all the time, with a 15 degree drop during lights off. i leave my veg lights on 24/7, metal halide, and fluros. my c99 grew up and into my 2 T10 4' tubes and kept going, so the lights should be fine, cfl's get a bit more heat from the mogul, but those temps are fine.

heat stress comes in the form of your leafs concaving in the middle; canoo shaped, then sloping down at the point.

a K od will cause the leaf tips to turn up, new groth stays along the stalk, and grows up and along it. plus the yellow spots/blothches.

you should absolutely get the most recent version of the Marijuana Grow Bible, there are pdf's i would read before i got the book, but in it, there is animation of the leafs, and description of all the most common, nutrients and trace element deficincy, or o/d symptoms, and how to treat it.

its pricey, but oh so helpful, im sure you could find a copy cheap on amazon.

well, I really feel stupid, I've gone through that page a few times before it was even posted.
I've been looking all over , and can't seem to find the problem I have, Im just going to try to water my plant with some element water (Iron/boron/nickle/zinc,etc) with just a drop of that, some lemon juice to lower ph, and 1/16th of nutes. (cause im pretty sure it wasn't the nutes that causes the burn)

ggg.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/ShadowOfEnigma/ggg.jpg

theres a direct link incase the pic doesnt work, but thats my plant, anyone able to give a diagnosis?

My temps are 76-80 in the morn, 84-85 for the rest of the day, until evening, then it settles back down..
I do have a fan blowing up towards the lights...
they are cfls...I can hold my hand over the plant for a minute and it doesn't get hot enough to burn, or even warm really.

Is that too much flucuation in temp? I dont know how I would change that. add another fan I guess?

Right now the temp is 82...was 78 when I woke up...
the humidity is 30%...should I put a humidifier in there and turn it on for like 30 min at a time to increase the humidity? if heat is really the problem here, then Im assuming more water in the air might help?

no that's not too much fluctuation. it could help to cool the temps, or bring in cooler air to the room. the fans will only do so much for heat unless you are taking in air from a cooler room (ac)...if you have an ac option you might want to try that...

EDIT: oh and if you haven't already, takes PIP's advice and do a flush

hey man, that a nice looking lil GIRLIE?!? looks like a budder, but! lol man be caeful, because if you stress it out too much, depending on the strain, it could go hermie...

that sure as shit looks like heat sress, but man, not much heat... hmm

a bowl of water near the plant will add enough humidty, every 10degrees F above 75 the air is capable of holding i believe 20% more humidity.

or, the more heat the more humidity you should try and add. but those temps, just dont seem that high, but, your plant is showing the stress.

looking again, there a few tips visible that are winding, or turning, that too is another sign of heat stress. WTF?!? my maui bigbud's top didnt show signs of heat stress untill it actually touched the bare metal halide bulb and burned some leafs haha, ugh.

different strains though, they want different things. you dont know what you have there? we might be able to tell here soon by all these lil quirks, remember, the first time, is just learning, which it seems youve done a goood amount of so far! your plant looks very nice, very managable, and structured. a nice pheno.

with soil, youre nute problems come on slow, but are resolved slower, and by the time they do show signs, it can be too late. hydro, any probs will show almost imediatly, and can be cured just as fast, but if you sleep on it too long, bye bye.

ive noticed all my blueberrys are very K sensitive, and heat sensitive. light light feeders(dj short variety which ususally has lots of 3 finger leafs)

do a flush, and then poke some holes with a chopstick, a 1/2" or so out side of the leafs parimeter, the leafs stretch out as far as the roots do. you dont want to be giving this one anymore trouble. ;)

again, looks like a girlie, ill look in my grow bible about those spots, that doesnt look like K probs, but either Mg OD, or N. deficincy. too much Mg and trace elements will give you nute 'lock out'.

i almost want to say, you should poke some holes arounf the lower 1/4 of the pot, to help aeriate the roots some.

it doesnt look like you have churned up the soil at all, id atleast do that, dig in an inch or so and churn it up, get the top soil nice and fluffy.

man, you need same Cannazyme, or Eart Juice Catalyst...! im lucky and the little city i live near has a nice hyroponics shop, very lucky.

if you decide this is how you want to do it, order some Canna nutrients or Eart Jui ce, the stuffs expensive, but will last you a looong time. my eart juice grow bottle lasted me close to a year, with constant growing going on.

Edit: hmm idk man?!? looking through the grow bible what seems the most likely cause is acidic soil ie. sphagnum peatmoss, there is an excess of iron, and zinc, treat with a flush with a light complete nutrient solution. keep the ph at 5.5 -6.2, low hydroponic levels, those levels will not allow as much of the problamatic micro nutes to get in, and allow for more absorbtion of phosphorus.

arent there any nuseries around? if so, go to one of them and look for some superthrive, and high P bat guano(jamaican). some worm castings are good, or great rather at adding microorganisms to hang around your roots and add some hype + protection general soil stabilization. but, not much, 1/20th of your pots volume.

Last edited:
ggg3.jpg

this is the plant today
What I did again was
water with lemon juice and some mineral water (like, real mineral water)
looks like it came back a bit, temp is the same , Im going to add a bowl of water next to the pot or the plant...if that doesnt work I can use a humidifier I have,
plant doesn't look too bad today...

Does it look like a female? I can't tell at all, I've been wanting to know sooo bad ,but it doesnt seem to show signs

First, I do have a reverse osmosis system as mentioned, but, Im not sure it is really doing any work, thats beneficial anyways...
The plant seemed to pop up after giving it that lemon water, and mineral juice (mineral juice is actually made for human consumption, not sure how healthy or safe that was, but its the only thing I could find with many many minerals.

Now, Im kind of curious if its the soil I have it planted it ? It doesn't seem to want to keep the ph below 8...7.5-8.0 is where it rests, I've been working pretty hard to keep it down at 6, but , I know I can't water it daily to bring it down, idk...
I really hope it turns out female, other wise Ill feel like I wasted alot of time, and money...
Im wondering if I should just go ahead and 12/12 it, to find out, I don't wanna stress it out and make it hermy though.
Guess Patience is key?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.