• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Alprazolam Solubility in Propylene Glycol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddysgone

Bluelighter
Hey all, just a quick question about solubility.
I've tried googling and surprisingly have not been able to find an answer to this basic question.

Does anyone know what the solubility is for alprazolam in propylene glycol? I would imagine that it is freely soluble but as I said, I've been unable to confirm this. Thanks-DG

Sorry, I also wanted to ask:

If alprazolam is not soluble in propylene glycol (though I suspect it is) can anyone list any solvents suitable for IV use in which alprazolam is soluble? Thanks-DG

Not sure. Its most solvent in acetonitrile (know by a less friendly name, methyl cyanide), so you do not want to use that (its used more for analysis purposes). It should be fairly solvent in methanol, and i usually have success dissolving things in absolute ethanol (go with ACS grade, the technical grades have trace benzene)....

An oral solution was prepared using a mixture of propylene gylcol and butanedioic acid (aka succinic acid) and water. At what amounts I don't know. There were able to produce a 1mg/ml solution.

I believe lorazepam and valium injections use a mixture of propylene glycol and ethanol. Remember it is pH sensitive, so take that into account....

Last edited:
Propylene glycol works for that purpose with phenazepam @ 2mg/mL, alprazolam should be no problem.

Also the OP asked for things which are suitable for IV use, so I think it should go without question that acetonitrile and especially methanol are NOT SUITABLE for this purpose..!

Dont know xanax.
But Ive seen junkys inject Valium and Lorazepam pills using Prop glycol.
Im nmore interested if phenazepam mixes into it for an effective 1ml = 1mg or something even though if i remember correctly is it oily right as people used that to cut down BDO when it was new and GHB was ban

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

So yea, it seems odd that its so hard to find definitive information regarding alprazolam's solubility in propylene glycol.
As I said, I imagine that it is soluble in prop glycol as I know several similar benzos are soluble in it, but I cannot be certain.

I am aware of several toxic solvents which are effective solvents for alprazolam, but obviously these won't work for my purposes.

So aside from the possibility of propylene glycol, can anyone suggest any other solvents which are suitable for injection that will work with alprazolam. Thanks-DG

My one cent as I'm no chemist but I have some liquid clonazepam, the main ingredients are, besides clonaz of course and a peach aroma, acetic acid and propylene glycol (it's an official med).

My one cent as I'm no chemist but I have some liquid clonazepam, the main ingredients are, besides clonaz of course and a peach aroma, acetic acid and propylene glycol (it's an official med).

Yea, it certainly seems to be the case that most benzos are soluble in propylene glycol, however for some reason I (and apparently everyone else) is having trouble finding out of certain whether or not alprazolam is soluble in it.

It's just odd that this info seems to be so hard to come by.-DG

Anyone else have any insight on this?

Seems like someone would have tried it and have personal experience to know for sure.

I'm sorry to necro a thread, but people need to know there is literally no point in administering Alprazolam intravenously. As stated in scientific literature and other threads, the oral bioavailability is approximately 90%. You will get 10% extra, which is such an insignificant difference that it isn't worth risk of shooting something that should not be shot up! I'm not anti-IV at all, I just think it's stupid to IV shit when there's no purpose. There exists a formulation on the market that contains Alprazolam with propylene glycol at a concentration of 1mg/ml. It is called Alprazolam Intensol.

Status
Not open for further replies.