• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Weird mouth/tongue spasm while on opiates?

Ashley26

Bluelighter
So I hope I don't sound crazy but this has been driving me crazy for a long time now since I've been using opiates.

Whenever I stil have opiates in my system and I'm getting ready to go to sleep I experience these weird involuntary spasms of my tongue and/or mouth. I can't control them at all and they seem to come in waves. My significant other even noticed them and asked me what he hell noises I was making...except I can't control it!

Does anyone else happen to have any idea what I'm talking about? This ONLY happens when I've had opaites within 2 or 3 hours of bed otherwise I don't experience it so I know it's due to that. It also only happens at night when I'm getting ready to sleep.

It's in the back of my mouth near my tongue. It's kind of hard to explain so ihope I made some sense and someone can relate and /or explain what the heck is going on, it's a mystery to me!

Ashley26, this is definetly a side effect of the opiates. Many people are starting to complain about spasms while on suboxone and other opiates. It has been happening to me, also. I get spasms that seem to originate from my brain down to my arms or legs. Very uncontrollable and I think the opates do play a huge role in this. It has to do with brain chemistry. If it gets too bad or unbearable, I would go to the ER or tell your doctor but don't be surprised if they yank your meds because of it, which would be a bummer. But in the face of harm reduction, safety is first. If you research these side effects your explaining on yahoo or google, you'll find out that you're not alone in this situation. Good luck, hope I helped.

it's one of the side effects/withdrawl coming down effects. it's not prevalent in everyone but it is more common with more prolonged users, or regular users. there isn't really any detailed study in this side effect, i have a feeling it isn't commonly reported. they aren't likely to take you off your meds, they'll certainly decrease them but that's only to see if the side effects decrease also. other than that, it's really nothing to worry about. think of it as your nervous system coming down, (after all it is going at a pretty high rate on opiates) and the one reaction that you experience is the muscle spasms in your mouth.

Very interesting guys. Glad to see I'm not alone though. It just seemed like a very weird side effect and especially since I only experience it at night when going to sleep

it's one of the side effects/withdrawl coming down effects. it's not prevalent in everyone but it is more common with more prolonged users, or regular users. there isn't really any detailed study in this side effect, i have a feeling it isn't commonly reported. they aren't likely to take you off your meds, they'll certainly decrease them but that's only to see if the side effects decrease also. other than that, it's really nothing to worry about. think of it as your nervous system coming down, (after all it is going at a pretty high rate on opiates) and the one reaction that you experience is the muscle spasms in your mouth.

I wish there were more studies and/or more information on this on the internet. I've never been able to find anything about it

I've never heard of tardive dyskinesia from opiates... Anyone else?

The pathophysiology of drug-induced tardive dyskinesia is not well-understood. I have read some research that suggests that the opioid system plays a role, but there isn't a consensus right now. Dopamine is definitely involved, though, so its easy to see how under the correct circumstances opioids could contribute.

I haven't experienced spasms like that. I'm curious about it though.

So I hope I don't sound crazy but this has been driving me crazy for a long time now since I've been using opiates.

Whenever I stil have opiates in my system and I'm getting ready to go to sleep I experience these weird involuntary spasms of my tongue and/or mouth. I can't control them at all and they seem to come in waves. My significant other even noticed them and asked me what he hell noises I was making...except I can't control it!

Does anyone else happen to have any idea what I'm talking about? This ONLY happens when I've had opaites within 2 or 3 hours of bed otherwise I don't experience it so I know it's due to that. It also only happens at night when I'm getting ready to sleep.

It's in the back of my mouth near my tongue. It's kind of hard to explain so ihope I made some sense and someone can relate and /or explain what the heck is going on, it's a mystery to me!

i used to get this all the time! its like my tongue will continuously slide in the back of my mouth. very annoying but i dont know what causes it or why it happens

I'm on methadone and when im going to bed at night sometimes like right before im about to go to sleep where I am kind of half asleep/half awake my whole body will jerk really violently once and sometimes so hard it make me jerk into a sitting position. It was startling at first but I get used to it it doesn't happen every day maybe like 2-3 days a week adn on those days it will happen maybe 1-3 times a night. sometimes I also wake up real suddenly from the half awake/asleep phase and make a kind of gasping noise too its really weird

I never get spasms while on opiates, however I do get them while on Pregabalin. My arms and legs to fuckin nuts on some of my doses. Then again my tolerance to just about everything is gargantuan and I take about 2000mg in a dose. Maybe im just nuts.

I have never experienced any side effects similar to those described during 7 years of various opioids intake. However, you can find it in literature among side effects.

im on methadone 65mg a day and just ate sum MDMA crystals and my tongue is spasming like mad good job in veteran drug user or i fink id be freaking out rite bout now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any way to stop this wierd and never before occurance??????????? so wierd and unpleasent makes me talk like im a spastic :/