• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The bellringer... why does it occur?

lenses

Bluelighter
Anyone who is familiar with IV cocaine , or crack cocaine , knows that the thing we are striving for is a bellringer. I've always been curious as to pharmacologically why this effect occurs...

Obviously most people on this forum are familar with DRI's and their basic effects, but i'm curious as to why doesn't this effect occur with other DRI's . I've been experimenting with MPH extractions (theres my thread about it in the OD directory under concerta) and I can tell that MPH will never cause a bellringer.

Does it have to do with DAT receptor affinity for the drug, as well as how fast it crosses the BBB? I'm guessing so, as MPH for example takes 30 seconds to fully hit after an IV shot. Cocaine works very fast and I know has strong DAT affinity...

As for the bellringer experience itself... the higher pitched sounds, tunnel vision, etc. , is that caused by super high DAT (and possibly 5HT levels) resulting in super strong perception?

If this isn't the right forum please move it, but I didn't think OD or BDD would be appropriate.

Thanks!

-lenses

I wonder if it's from sigma agonism?

I always get a ringer from smoking DMT, another sigma agonist.

From wikipedia : "Drugs known to be sigma agonists include cocaine,diacetylmorphine, PCP, fluvoxamine, methamphetamine, dextromethorphan, and the herbal antidepressant berberine. "

I wonder if DMT is also a sigma agonist. You may be on to something... :)

-lenses

this comment probably does not belong here but ive never actually been able to achieve this via IV cocaine.. i usually get too afraid // start feeling some heart problems before i dare to increase my dose any higher.. and yes its of the highest quality.. ie: straight off the ki and // or washed..

I wonder if DMT is also a sigma agonist.

At least it's a sigma ligand... I'm not actually sure if it's an agonist or antagonist though.

Anyway... cocaine binds to sigma receptor, cocaine causes a bellringer (when IV:d).
DMT binds to sigma receptor, and causes (although a really weird and vibrating) bellringer. Perhaps the bellringer coupled with the distorted perception from the hallucinogenic activity is what causes the weird audio effects on DMT...

Cocaine is also a DRI. MDPV is also a DRI but doesn't cause a bellringer when IV:d... and neither does methylphenidate, I hear. So simple dopamine reuptake inhibition is probably not the culprit here.

We need to try more sigma agonists to test the theory...

I always assumed it was a simple manifestation of the rise in blood pressure.

would shooting heroin produce any momentary rise in blood pressure? cuz i have gotten tunnel vision and a feeling of silence kind of like a bellringer after shooting dope. i was thinking the rise in blood pressure could be a few-second stress response from the anticipation and physical stress of poking one's self with a needle.

interesting. I've gotten the bellringer from dmt (smoked), crack (smoked), and a really unpleasant long lasting one from dmt+salvia, that was also accompanied by a headache immediately after. I believe salvia is a sigma agonist IIRC

No, if salvia has any sigma affinity it's extremely weak.

It's almost certainly due to dopaminergic effects as other dopaminergic are known to alter hearing. Amphetamine is known to cause deafness (the first side effect I ever experienced from it)

I've gotten bell ringers from quality mephedrone before.

At least it's a sigma ligand... I'm not actually sure if it's an agonist or antagonist though.

Anyway... cocaine binds to sigma receptor, cocaine causes a bellringer (when IV:d).
DMT binds to sigma receptor, and causes (although a really weird and vibrating) bellringer. Perhaps the bellringer coupled with the distorted perception from the hallucinogenic activity is what causes the weird audio effects on DMT...

Cocaine is also a DRI. MDPV is also a DRI but doesn't cause a bellringer when IV:d... and neither does methylphenidate, I hear. So simple dopamine reuptake inhibition is probably not the culprit here.

We need to try more sigma agonists to test the theory...

mdpv iv causes bellringer for me. altho i have tendency to have tinnitus sometimes so maybe thats a factor too

I doubt it has much to do with pharmacology.

I've had "bell ringers" IVing coke.

I also had "bell ringers" wandering through angkor (sober).

It is called "being stunned".

Try English. It helps sometimes.

I can be sitting in silence like in a car waiting and my ears ring extremely loud but at the same time silently. It's strange and it's the exact same thing that happens with coke except I can control it when it's happening naturally.

I doubt it has much to do with pharmacology.

I've had "bell ringers" IVing coke.

I also had "bell ringers" wandering through angkor (sober).

It is called "being stunned".

Try English. It helps sometimes.

No offense but this is nonsense.
What do you mean you doubt pharmacology has much to do with this? Sure, you may have occasionally had "bell-ringer" type experiences when not using drugs, but at the proper dose, IV coke will produce a "bell ringer' every single time-clearly it is due to pharmacology.
Are you really suggesting that people experience this because they are "stunned"?-DG

does anyone know whats going on when one has tinnitus - chronic ringing in ears? could comparing the two side by side reveal anything? (i have no business in the "advanced" forum, so apologies but i do have questions relating to this topic)

blood pressure may play a role - and absolutely the anticipation/execution of IVing oneself will make it rise immediately. blood pressure pretty much is constantly changing with every thing you do/think.

has anyone ever had a fever, bad enough that they felt somewhat delirious, i distinctly remember that anytime i got a fever as a child, i would have loud ringing in my ears that upset and frightened me, and would subside immediately when the fever broke. i think a fever raises blood pressure, for sure.

i have never iv'd anything, but have done coke only a few times, less than ten. the last time was with a person i dont know well, and we split a gram. for whatever reason we did it all at once, at the same time. this may be childs play for some, but for me i immediately panicked, became dizzy, and jumped out of the car where i vomited for the next 15 minutes. my heart felt like it was damaged permanently. when i told my friend my ears had started ringing so loud as i got out the car, he said i probably was a hair away from an OD. i thought that was probably a myth, but never forgot it bc it was terrifying.

is there any truth to that?

hammilton - deafness from amphets is that from long term use, an od, or a general side effect for some? is it permanent and/or complete deafness?

Ive gotten tinnitus from zinc but yeah the ringing/lessened hearing ability from poppys especially while potentiating the shit out of them with grapefruit and DLPA

Are you really suggesting that people experience this because they are "stunned"?-DG

Yes.

IV coke is not something to be taken lightly. If it were not so euphoric, one can easily say that the body is traumatized with every shot. So yes, it is certainly being stunned - every single time.

And btw, you have failed to produce any kind of reference - or even a hypothesis - to back up your claim that it is "nonsense".