• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The bellringer... why does it occur?

Could someone please explain what a bellringer is, not why it happens but what you experience while having one. From the sounds of it i experienced one on mephedrone.

^^It's just a sound you hear after doing a good shot of cocaine. Or to a lesser degree smoked coke, IV meth, DMT, nitrous (add your own here). Will let you know if mephedrone gives me one, kinda dought it unless you IV it, but as chance would have it I'd planned just that. I've also heard it called "hearing the train" but what it REALLY sounds like is the vacuum pump on the lamination table at a factory I worked in. I can't really explain it to someone who hasn't done a blast of coke, nor would I recommend they find out for themselves.

Cocain causes a "Bellringer" because it is a vascular constrictor and given a large enough dose it will constrict all vessels thus causing a shortage of oxygen to the brain....

From wikipedia : "Drugs known to be sigma agonists include cocaine,diacetylmorphine, PCP, fluvoxamine, methamphetamine, dextromethorphan, and the herbal antidepressant berberine. "

I wonder if DMT is also a sigma agonist. You may be on to something... :)

-lenses

I used to get them on high dose dxm after smoking.

PCP’s bellringer is the opposite of a ringing in the ear, it is a wave of silence, then mass anesthesia...

While I agree with Barrettjonn that it is most likely a spike in Blood Pressure there is another possibility. Aspirin use is associated with reversible tinnitus. They believe that it is when salicylic acid reaches a certain threshold. It appears that salicylic acid has been used as a preservative in cocaine since the late 1800s. I don't have any experience with cocaine but if it is done in a way to quickly jump the BBB and the salicylic acid goes on a ride with it (so-to-speak) it may briefly mimic having taken larger doses of Aspirin over a longer period of time.
http://www.justice.gov/dea/pr/microgram-journals/2010/mj7-1_7-11.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=jQ...v=onepage&q=salicylic acid in cocaine&f=false
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/sel...ucts/article/ask-experts-aspirin-and-tinnitus
http://books.google.com/books?id=9s...v=onepage&q=salicylic acid in cocaine&f=false
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

Last edited:
IV ketamine caused bellringers for me, probably similar to PCP.... I've yet to try PCP, but I think I'd rather stick to K and MXE

ITT: what is a "bell-ringer"? To what extent is that induced by rapid administration of cocaine similar to or different from other drugs with strong auditory effects?

ebola

ITT: what is a "bell-ringer"? To what extent is that induced by rapid administration of cocaine similar to or different from other drugs with strong auditory effects?

ebola

That is a good question...

I often thought It was attributed to the DRI effects of these said drugs...

omfg, dont even get me started. this thread makes me want to IV soooo bad ><

the bell ringer is the most orgasmic, stunning, and psychotic experience i have ever had

IV cocaine <3

PCP’s bellringer is the opposite of a ringing in the ear, it is a wave of silence, then mass anesthesia...

I've gotten it off of alpha-pvp vaporized before.

You just have to do it from an oil burner and make sure your hit is huge, then ghost that shit until you feel a cold chill run down your spine and into your dick.

Then it feels like the world tilts and you hear a sound equivalent to a N64 being dropped, but only take one of those syllables that it makes and stretch it out, then taper it off.

Dunno if this helps but I'd get this effect every time after smoking some H with 5-10mg DMT in it. I had no idea it was called a 'bellringer' but it is one of the nicest sensations I've ever had. My (very) high dose Oxymorphone experience brought this too but not as much.

I wanted some Opipramol to really test out the sigma theory, which I extrapolated from it's effects but never got around to it unfortunately.

would shooting heroin produce any momentary rise in blood pressure? cuz i have gotten tunnel vision and a feeling of silence kind of like a bellringer after shooting dope. i was thinking the rise in blood pressure could be a few-second stress response from the anticipation and physical stress of poking one's self with a needle.

I've gotten a bellringer with tunnel vision from IV meth multiple times. It is almost a psychedelic experience. Everything in my field of vision is pulled into a... swirling black hole? Then I feel as if I too and falling forward into the hole and there's a distinct feeling of being weightless and helpless.

Reminder: we're trying to tease apart the pharmacology of 'bell-ringing', not collect anecdotes of bell-ringers we've experienced.

ebola

Nicotine + ephedrine combo does something very similar to cocain train. I am interested, i will look into it tomorow.

I wonder if it's from sigma agonism?

I always get a ringer from smoking DMT, another sigma agonist.

I only used heroin for a short amount of time but I have never achieved a bellinger unless I was speed balling

Wow, I did not know what I wanted to say the "bell" effect until I ran into this thread.
I had a hypovulamic shock a few years ago due to ulcerative bleeding in the stomach. I literally fainted because of the lack of blood in the brain. Interestingly I experienced this effect for a few minutes.
It was like a very sharp beep, in fact, it was like an ultrasound. In my case, at least, it was caused by a physical anomaly related to blood flow.

Is it possible that what you describe is produced by a change in blood pressure? I doubt very much that it happens by any type of dopaminergic agonism or of any type, although perhaps it is mistaken.
I got that same beep in an MDA and 2c-b combo, in which I fainted at the end of the trip due to hypotension. The same on a Harmalas / DMT trip.

DocLad

Last edited:
How do you find these threads that haven't had activity for 5 years to bump for your very first post

I don't think ototoxicity is to blame for any transient ringing, it would result in chronic tinnitus if any ringing did occur.
I don't get the typical "nang" with nangs but I do get auditory distortion, it's almost as if sound becomes wobbly when I get enough in me.
I haven't shot coke nor smoked crack so I can't comment on that.

I did have a weird experience on a fairly decent dose of shrooms last year in that I felt as if I'd just heard something extremely loud - everything sounded far away and very feint, coupled with an extremely strong/loud constant high frequency sine wave, just like you'd expect after a bomb goes off in a movie.
Having listened to sine waves I'd say it was higher than 13khz and lower than 15khz, close to the 14khz mark, in case anyone was wondering.

Idk if it have already been said but I somewhat remember that belleringer was due to indirect glutamate activation from cocaine.