Do police run warrant checks on routine traffic stops ?

around here any encounter with the police involves a quick swiping of your id credit-card style that brings up anything they would want to know about you.

^ do you know if that card swipe just looks up your DMV records? Where are you? If you don't wanna say, rural or medium or large city etc?

Well how could they pull you over and run your license and it not check wanted criminals ?

If you're walking in a neighborhood at 6PM on a weekday they can stop you and get your id and they WILL look for warrants.

[ACL NOTE]Mod note: You do not have to show your ID for walking down the street. You are not operating a motorized vehicle and have no obligation to stop for or even have a conversation with, much less show an officer your ID for "walking down the street"

Last edited by a moderator:
Police in the USA (at least the ones I am connected to) can choose to run the following at any time (including a traffic stop):
-Driver's License Lookups
-Current Warrants
-Criminal History

It would have info such as past, current addresses, aliases, and also things such as PENDING CHARGES, but it depends which query is run.

The standard is just to run your driver's license and a warrant check. They might look at criminal history if they are doing an investigation and/or you do something suspicious.

Police may run all 3 queries, neither, or any combination thereof.

I believe I have answered this question, and if OP wants more info, please PM me.

Last edited:
on traffic stops what happens if you have a 'new identity' iwht diffrent name, dob etc ? Thre is no record of anything. do you just get a driving without license ticket? If you have alicense from some remote third workd countyr then what happens ?

on traffic stops what happens if you have a 'new identity' iwht diffrent name, dob etc ? Thre is no record of anything. do you just get a driving without license ticket? If you have alicense from some remote third workd countyr then what happens ?

Firstly, there are legal implications of having a "new identity", unless you're in some kind of witness protection. If you legally changed your name, it will be known and cross-linked to your original name. One cannot change their birthday.
If you have a license from another country, it's likely the police will call the station and ask what the rules are regarding that. Some countries (such as the UK) have very similar driving rules to that of the states, and you can still get a ticket if you drive badly. If you have one from "some remote third world country"[ed], you will probably get a ticket for driving without a license. If you have never had a license, you will probably get your car towed because you are not authorized to operate a motor vehicle in the USA.

If you're walking in a neighborhood at 6PM on a weekday they can stop you and get your id and they WILL look for warrants.

[ACL NOTE]Mod note: You do not have to show your ID for walking down the street. You are not operating a motorized vehicle and have no obligation to stop for or even have a conversation with, much less show an officer your ID for "walking down the street"

just to clarify this, if im walking down the strip downtown, just walking, and an officer asks for my ID, i do not have to give it to them?

just to clarify this, if im walking down the strip downtown, just walking, and an officer asks for my ID, i do not have to give it to them?

You must show your driver's license and registration when stopped in a car.

That's it. Refusing to show your license when not operating a motor vehicle is not illegal AFAIK, except in critical situations where it might somehow be necessary to identify people...You may be detained while your identity is verified, as I'm sure they can think of some bogus reason to hold you at the station for giving them a hard time.

But let's say I don't drive a car? But I'm also a shady looking character? Driving is a privilege not a right...etc etc., they can't make it mandatory to have a driver's license, which is what being required to hand it over on demand would imply...

But no, you don't have to.

Just say you lost it, or you don't have one, sorry. that's what you're walking down the strip, instead of rollin' down it in a Caddy.

Actually, check your state laws. Some states have vagrancy laws, but that's targeted more toward drifters and homeless, I think...
Some states may require that you identify yourself. But not produce ID. So, majority, no, unless you live in alaska, arkansas, or another odd state. Even so, they're just BS tickets from local small town police

Last edited:
Around here the cops have couple cars with computers on top of their cars... that scan plates for stolen, warrant and such... and than find a reason to pull you over

Around here the cops have couple cars with computers on top of their cars... that scan plates for stolen, warrant and such... and than find a reason to pull you over

You mean like, they can physically "look at" the plates with the camera/computer? Without typing..?

Maybe I misunderstood...sounds crazy and i don't want to believe it yet..

You mean like, they can physically "look at" the plates with the camera/computer? Without typing..?

Yes its this satellite looking think on top of the cop SUV's(around here at least) than they drive around and it scans the plate and give the cop info on the car registered driver.. and spits out info the cops would find Important " " and than they pull you over for some b/s traffic violation and you get locked up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4

example from a system in Canada...

Lots of cities have this now. Yes, a camera scans and recognizes license plates within a large viewing area, and automatically checks for warrants and such.