Info Changes to our site disciplinary system

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
We have been reviewing our site policy regarding our infractions, warnings, and banning policy and have reached a point of changing it. Going forward, we have the following Infractions selectable by staff in dealing with problem members:

Code:
[B]Title[/B]  		[B]Points[/B]  	[B]Expires[/B]
Abuse 				1 	12 Month(s)
Other BLUA Violation 		1 	12 Month(s)	
Drug Solicitation 		1 	12 Month(s)
Violation of forum guidelines	1	12 Month(s)
Repeated violation		1	12 Month(s)

Depending upon the number of active infraction points (all points expire in 12 months), the system will automatically suspend an offending member's account for X days upon earning Y warning points. This 'Temp Ban' length of time is outlined here:

Code:
2 pts = 1 day
4 pts = 3 days
5 pts = 7 days
6 pts = 2 weeks
7 pts = 1 month
8 pts = 3 months
9 pts = 6 months
10 pts = 12 months

Still under manual control will be:
  • Sr. Staff can add additional time to the suspension if the member continues violations during the Temp Ban.
  • Sr. Staff can ban accounts permanently in obvious situations (ie, SPAM).
  • Admin can reverse a warning, infraction, or ban if there was an error in issuing it.

This will put the ultimate power to 'Temp Ban' someone in the hands of the mods who issue infractions and warnings, but each one they issue is recorded and subject to review by sr. staff to ensure there is not an abuse of the system by anyone on staff (for example, a mod on drug binge hammering out warnings to a member just to ban them for fun). Such actions will be reviewed by sr. staff and appropriate action taken (up to and including reversal of infraction points and removal from staff).

We are still working out a way of making it known whom is on Temp Ban (at least, those of an extended period) so that members understand why someone has had their site access revoked and for how long. This is still somewhat under discussion, and we'll update this thread shortly. Up to now there has been a 'Ban on Sight' list of people who fucked up bad enough to NOT ever be allowed back, but we are reforming those bans to be more in alignment with our system outlined above. As of this week, the following persons are on extended ban status:

5 yrs
- Splatt (Eligible return - MAR'15)
- HEAD_FUNK, Rape, Velbon, ufo_hardcore, etc. (Eligible return - MAR'15)

6 months
recons, 9mmcensor, etc (Eligible return - SEP'10)
tally, etc. (Eligible return - SEP'10)
Slay, etc. (Eligible return - SEP'10)
sunyata, gaian_planes, etc. (Eligible return - SEP'10)

You'll note some of those have multiple usernames listed, part of our system will be that if another account is registered during that Temp Ban period, the ban on the original account is extended and that recent alias is banned. It is on the offender to abide by the ban or have it extended. Members are asked to help us identify those persons when you see them back on site during a temporary ban of their account (you can PM a staff member or use the REPORT function on their posts).

+++++++++++

The changes above have not gone into place as yet, though we'll be editing the site settings this week. Also, I will outline below some of the history of what got us to this point.

+++++++++++++++

It's been noted that when someone is under a suspension, registering additional accounts will lead to more infractions which creates longer bans....it creates the quandry of how to communicate questions or concerns to the site whilst in that suspended state. For those wondering, here are some sample questions, and their related answers:

1. I have had numerous names over the years and I was wondering if you are going to reinstate one or am I going to make up a new one?
    Our policy is that if you've screwed up enough to be on this kind of list, those account names aren't coming back. You, the 'person' are able to return, but your old 'screenname' is dead. Please register a new account when you are eligible.

2. 2. I've read that I come back Sept. 2010. Does that mean I come back on the 1st of Sept. or on a specific day?
    It wasn't specified, but technically September 1st is in September, so that would be the first date of eligibility for return.

3. 3. So when Im back, does my warning level go back down to zero and how many more warnings until banishment again?
    We've debated this, and it isn't quite set in stone as yet. Some of us prefer that the old points be carried over, so future generations of staff are aware of the problems caused....please note, however, that given the time frames, most of those points would have expired and will not be counting towards any future bans, and nobody but staff can see the point count. Others prefer to let the new account come in with zero points, though we keep note of who this new person used to be and how many points they'd earned under that old account. Regardless of how we keep notes on people, the net effect to any banned person is the same - you are coming in clean again.

4. 4. If I think of any more questions, is there an email address I can send them to? I dont think it is a good idea to post in this forum any more than this one time.
    You are correct, posting here or registering simply to ask these questions probably won't be smiled upon too much. However, there is a 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right corner of every page which will submit your questions to the admin group. If it is something specific to your case, we may respond via email (use one you can receive a response with). If the questions are beneficial for all to learn, such as the ones raised here, we'll post the response publicly for you and anyone else to learn. If it is simply more trolling, we won't respond at all - we reserve that right.

Edit 8 JUN 2010 - added the points/days_suspension listing for member education.
Edit 22 JUN 2010 - added four questions and answers
Edit 24 AUG 2010 - knocked "Repeat Offense" from 2 pts to 1 pt, eliminated 3 pt "Major Violation" since it was never clearly defined. All infractions are now 1 pt.

Last edited:
Background

I would also like to point out our current practice, since some have suggested a more graduated system of discipline before someone lands on the BoS list. Please note, I am using permaban='this account is dead, try a new one' and BoS='no more accounts for you'.

* Troll earns some edits, maybe public replies, maybe some PMs.

* Troll continues, and earns more edits, PMs, and perhaps Warnings or Infractions.

* Troll continues, and earns more Warnings or Infractions, and finally a Temp Ban. First Temp Ban is typically 3 days, with a warning that registering any alias accounts will result in both accounts being permabanned.

* Troll returns and continues, earns more warnings, and eventually a second Temp Ban (typically 7 days, with the same alias=permaban warning).

* Troll returns and continues, and earns a permaban.

* Troll registers a second account. Please note, there is no current time frame set before the person can register again. They can choose at this point to be a 'new person' or resume old habits.

* Troll resumes old habits, earns edits, Warnings, and another temp ban. Now typically, because they KNOW better, they earn the warnings and temp ban more quickly (less leniency) but there is no rigid code of what this takes or how quick they earn it.

* Troll gets back from temp ban, earns another one or goes straight to permaban again.

* Troll registers a new account...rinse, repeat. Now, there is also no set guideline on how many times we allow them to come back and earn another permaban before reaching BoS status. However, putting someone on BoS generally requires all the admin to agree that it has come to this.

Keep in mind, most of you know how hard it is for someone to earn a ban, even a temporary one. But you can see above, there are multiple opportunities to fly right given the original account, that multiple account attempts are given, and anywhere along the way the person can learn to play nice before we have to go further. You can also see, given the number of chances someone gets as well as the time frames for the temp bans, it is pretty damn hard to earn a BoS based on a drug fueled rampage over a night, a few days, or even a few weeks. BoS requires a sustained abuse of the site and-or staff.

There is some record keeping in the staff forums, but it has proven spotty and not well collected for newer mods who join staff in that they don't know the history of why someone has earned so many bans - it ends up relying heavily on the memory of those who suffered the trolling, and that's not a good way to operate. We will be implementing some better tools inside the staff area to help keep better records on persons who cause the site significant problems. However, it also leads to a desire to keep the public informed as well - since transparency leads to both an open answer to the many questions remaining members have when someone gets banned as well as creating a window to the behaviour members need to avoid to keep themselves in good standing with the site. The problem then becomes balancing that troll's privacy with public information, in that should they choose to behave well after a temp ban, they still have an effective scarlet letter pinned to them, something we're not keen on perpetuating either :\ This is why we'll be looking into what, and how, to share information with the public related to these heavier bans.

Over the course of a few years, he trolled the shit out of AusDD staff, compromised a few accounts including one that got him access back into the staff forum after he'd been removed from staff so he could collect personal information and threaten the site and staff with (forged) incriminating information, and generally being a total dick. :)

Over the course of a few years, he trolled the shit out of AusDD staff, compromised a few accounts including one that got him access back into the staff forum after he'd been removed from staff so he could collect personal information and threaten the site and staff with (forged) incriminating information, and generally being a total dick. :)
LOL... I changed my MSN because of that douchebag.

DOUCHEBAG, DOUCHEBAG, DOUCHEBAG!!!

Family20Guy20-20Douchebag.gif

Good rule changes BTW. Long needed - particularly the temp bans.

EDIT: LOL, maybe not.

Last edited:
I think you're being overly generous to Splatt in letting him ever come back, but other than that, I like - the greater clarity is a good idea :).

including handing over private staff contact details to the Police and/or media.

including handing over private staff contact details to the Police and/or media.

Did he actually do that, or just claim he did it?

Incidentally, when Google Buzz installed I got Splatt in my recommended contacts. One good reason to uninstall that piece of shit :D

Did he actually do that, or just claim he did it?
threatened to, possibly did, possibly got fucked off due to lack of interest. i don't remember.

anyway, sorry to propagate this talk of individuals, i don't think it's really very appropriate. :eek:

let's get back to the policy discussion. :)

Aye, kill the last few posts if ye want, getting too off-topic.

(Even if the on-topic posts are just everyone saying: "great idea TLB" :))

I am kinda glad I'm not a mod; the last change made my head spiiiin. I'd ending up banning myself, and somehow converting TLB-bot into a human.

@IJ: Do you remember the shit-list he published? I laughed as my DOC is legal and (relatively) socially acceptable, but I'm sure a lot of people found it less amusing. At present, though, we're giving him the attention he craves. DNFTT and whatnot. ;)

I have another question, if I may ask.

TLB/any other admin in the know: what sort of conduct on the part of a member could/would result in a ban such as Splatt received? Repeated disruption and registration of alts seems to have a bit less impact than it did when I was on staff. Where, if anywhere, is the line formally drawn? It appears that while such matters are approached on a case-by-case basis, in order for this approach to be ultimately feasible, uniformity is needed.

Its nice to know that BL is finally implementing some type of uniform disciplinary system.

Just to bring up a point of clarification regarding members on these extended temp bans.

If they fuck up upon return, even registering one infraction point, their temp ban is then doubled. So, if these people who have been infinitely troublesome to the site come back and *still* can't play nice, if they fuck up, they're gone for longer. Also, if we find that they have registered an alt account during their temp ban time, the temp ban doubles, and the alt-account is permanently banned. So, these extremely troublesome users are on the shortest of short leashes, and with most of them, I'm pretty sure that they will fuck up real quick and be back off the site again, for longer.

As i expressed in the mod thread:

if they act up after the 6 month ban, they should get a 1 year ban. after the one year they sshould recieve the 5 year/perma

what is the value to the community of letting users, who have shown repeatedly that they can not or will not abide by the rules, back to the site ever?

i'm talking about the users listed above under the 6-month heading e.g. recons, tally, slay, etc.

alasdair

some of them have come back without our knowing and have behaved just fine and been productive members. Only later for us to findout it was actually them.

People can and do change, and i dont see why they dont deserve another chance. especially if they are willing to wait such a time to come back to a community that means something to them.

but where do you draw the line? you seem to be suggesting there should never be a line?

some of those people had 4, 5, 6, 7 chances and showed time and time again, even after the most (in retrospect laughably) 'sincere' apologies, that they could not or would not change their ways. at what point do you finally realise they have no desire whatsoever to contribute to the community?

alasdair