• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does weed make anyone else feel more alert/hyper?

The qualities of my weed high have changed as I have matured. When I first started at a young age I would feel intense euphoria and laugh A LOT after smoking. Then as I grew I became introverted in general but especially when I would get high. There was a time in my life where I refused to smoke with others as I could only maintain a comfortable high while in solitude. More recently however (past 3 years or so) I have used my high as an advantage rather than a handicap. I rationalized that while I was high I felt less anxiety than without weed and should therefore take advantage of this temporary relief and say whatever came to mind. Since this became clear to me most of my weed highs start with a relaxation of my body and mind followed by chattiness and energy. I love dancing to jungle music while stoned and if there are any cannabinoids in my system and there is jungle music playing I can literally dance for hours straight. There was a block party locally about 4 months ago where rave music was being played and I had eaten two very potent edibles and had a few shots of alcohol. From the time the edibles kicked in to about 6 hours later I did not take more than a 5 minute break from jumping around dancing and teaching raver girls how to shuffle.

I'm pretty sure I read on erowid that cannabinoids have a mainly placebo high and that ultimately the effects are up to the users personality, I'm paraphrasing of course but this was the gist of what I had read.. Seems to be at least somewhat factual as I have experienced many people having very different effects from cannabis samples with the exact same cannabinoid profile.

I have a Jamaican mechanic friend in his 40s who has smoked more than anyone else I've come across. He claims that the ganja energizes him, enabling him to work harder and endure more. I've personally witnessed him smoking exotic from morning to afternoon while he works on complex jobs like transmission/engine. Smoking for him does have the opposite effect of what smoking does for me and everyone else I have known to smoke. Instead of making him tired or lethargic, it springs him into action like a man with a new-found purpose.

I like to get high before working out because it usually makes the workout a bit easier.

I too feel more awake after consumption.

while high im more "awake" and want to go do something like go for a walk or something. but when i come down...in bed and asleep haha

I never understood the idea of sleeping on weed when it works so poorly for this purpose every time I try it.

Yeah same here. People must be tokin some garbage if it's putting them to sleep. I never could understand anyone who tokes & then hits the sack. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. :|

when i first started smoking i was one of those who would pass out about 30 minutes after smoking. i noticed the more tolerance i had the more weed seemed to take on opposite effects, like how you mention becoming more hyper. if i smoke all day, and i typically do, i'll tend to feel kinda burnt and lethargic until i get a nice high going, then i feel ready to conquer the day. my boss knows i smoke and that i'm stoned at work but doesn't care because i can still be very productive when im high. its wierd though, on days that i don't smoke at all until later on in the evening i'll get a high more like when i first started. my guess is that its got a lot to do with tolerance. in small amounts, like just enough to feel a head change, it will make most people feel a little more alert/energetic for the first 30mins or hour, then the inevitable munchies and sleepies come along.

THe tobacco thing I'm not sure - they do it in India, Spain and portugal with hashish, but I'm not sure where it originated. It's a stupid idea - it makes the high rubbish compared to pure.

I've smoked only a few spliffs in my life and I have to agree, the effects of a spliff are different and less desirable IMO.

OT: I also usually get lots of energy from smoking usually. If I smoke early, I tend to burn out and so I only like to smoke in the evening where I can have a few active hours and then calm down for the night.

I was diagnosed with ADHD and weed doesnt have a stimulant effect on me so i dont *think* thats whats going on... but everyone reacts differently to everything!

If I am smoking a sativa, I can get some energ from it.

However, I primarily enjoy indica's, which are very sedating for me.

I normally enjoy staying awake on weed, but I have insomnia, so really good cannabis can hellp me get quality sleep. :)

Whenever I smoke when I first get up in the morning, weed seems to make me hyper. But that's the only time.

since iam smoking weed i feel dizzy, yeah probably depends on what type of community youre smoking alone or with friends yeah it do work with laugh n gags......... try alcohol with a pot if not a pot then with a weed cigar8 definitly you feel then tell me what you did slept or awake ??? and nice topic man

nice topic man......or else try weed till your eye veins are clearly visible

After 41 yrs of tokin, I find I need less & less to achieve complete wastoid-city. I was once a die-hard old-schooler who thought our 1970s weed [Michoacan, Oaxacan, Acapulco Gold, Thai-Sticks (which were numbing!!), Panama Red, Jamaican, etc.] was better than these new strains with all the wild-ass names.
Well, I know a few growers who are nice enough to comp me whatever they're presently growing & I gotta admit, all I need to hit the stratosphere is 2-3 good bongrips. I'm stoned-out for a good 3-4 hrs. So either my tolerance has done a 180 or the weed grown nowadays is way more potent.
I've been arguing with some other dudes at another site & they're trying to tell me that weed hasn't gotten more potent...it's just that there's more 'designer weed' to be had. BULLSHIT!! I remember how we used to be able to toke all day & evening & stay ripped. There's no way in hell that I could toke this weed all day [currently tokin AK-47 x Freezeland:?]. The growers now have so many different strains that weren't even available 35-40 yrs ago.
A tip of the hat to these modern-day growers who really know their shit. They are the new backbone for us daily tokers. I just need WAY less & lovin' it!! =D
Weed has become a lot more potent. Over here in Europe though, the hash really hasn't become much stronger. There's always been top notch hash and while there weren't ice-o-lator and honey bee extractors back in the days, these kinds of product don't represent the vast majority of hash that's available.

A lot of old, no let me rephrase that, a lot of people who have been smoking for years or even decades experience this sort of 'inverted tolerance'/senzitation. I've been at it for about 12 years now (I can't remember exactly when I started, go figure) and all I really need is the twentieth part of a gram of weed to get me wasted. It doesn't really matter that much if it's some super potent hydroponically grown, hormon treated, genetically manipulated "medicinal" strain or some German outdoor shwag. I just toke a few times and I'm floored. I still can take huge amounts (been eyeballing this AM-2201 the past two days without any adverse reactions, I can eat .2g oil (heated, dissolved in fat) and feel heavenly), but I've become a lot more sensitive to the low dosage range.

Regarding the original post: I have a really hard time believing it, but after all I've seen, pot does seem to affect people differently. It induces anxiety in a lot of folks, too. Me, I just get flattened out you could say I guess. My hypomania just disappears and if I smoke too much, depression and slight social anxiety shows up on the next day. I also won't enjoy life as much as without pot, but everytime I quit I come back for more after a maximum of exactly 5 weeks. Not addictive my ass. Maybe it just tastes too damn good. It's really a love/hate relationship to me.

Wow just joined this forum. So glad to hear that that this is a common side effect for many ppl. Guess everyone is different! :)

The vast majority of people seem to be the opposite, claiming weed makes them tired. I've seen many of my friends smoke and then fall asleep. But when I smoke weed, It makes me feel more awake! Hyper even, sometimes, I want to dance and laugh and joke around. It doesn't matter what type of weed--both indicas & sativas have this effect on me, although sativa a little more. I've even smoked pot to help me stay awake before! After about two hours, I'll feel tired--but not tired enough to pass out, no different than coming down off a cup of coffee or something.

I don't understand why I'm like this, I've got no complaints about it--I'm just trying to figure out why I'm weird. There have got to be more people like this!

Thoughts that have occurred to me that might be connected--
I've been diagnosed with ADD before (i don't know if add/adhd is real or not, just pointing that out as maybe having something to do with why) and I find that smoking weed also helps me focus my thoughts a great deal. I don't know if this could be connected, but maybe?

Anyway....are there any others out there who find weed to be a stimulant for them???? I want to know I'm not alone here.

Definatly not, I don't even want to finish this sent

Weed has become a lot more potent. Over here in Europe though, the hash really hasn't become much stronger. There's always been top notch hash and while there weren't ice-o-lator and honey bee extractors back in the days, these kinds of product don't represent the vast majority of hash that's available.

A lot of old, no let me rephrase that, a lot of people who have been smoking for years or even decades experience this sort of 'inverted tolerance'/senzitation. I've been at it for about 12 years now (I can't remember exactly when I started, go figure) and all I really need is the twentieth part of a gram of weed to get me wasted. It doesn't really matter that much if it's some super potent hydroponically grown, hormon treated, genetically manipulated "medicinal" strain or some German outdoor shwag. I just toke a few times and I'm floored. I still can take huge amounts (been eyeballing this AM-2201 the past two days without any adverse reactions, I can eat .2g oil (heated, dissolved in fat) and feel heavenly), but I've become a lot more sensitive to the low dosage range.

Regarding the original post: I have a really hard time believing it, but after all I've seen, pot does seem to affect people differently. It induces anxiety in a lot of folks, too. Me, I just get flattened out you could say I guess. My hypomania just disappears and if I smoke too much, depression and slight social anxiety shows up on the next day. I also won't enjoy life as much as without pot, but everytime I quit I come back for more after a maximum of exactly 5 weeks. Not addictive my ass. Maybe it just tastes too damn good. It's really a love/hate relationship to me.

I agree with the 'inverted tolerance' explanation, as that's about the only thing I can think of. As much as people say that the present-day weed is much stronger (& a lot of it is), the dope we'd smoke in the late 1960s/early 1970s was nothing to shake a Thai-Stick at.
The Mexican weed 35-40 yrs ago wasn't this bricked schwag that everyone is scoring down by the border now. The Michoacán, Oaxacan, & of course, the A-Gold was some killer smoke. Plus the Jamaican we'd occasionally score was a non-stop laughfest. The imports back then, which I think were mainly sativas, were a load of fun. The Thai-Sticks (the little tight nugs wrapped around by hemp twine) was devastating!!
It's never made sense to me how 3-4 decades ago, all the weed was imported...travelling thousands of miles...getting by U.S. Customs...was about 1/10th the current price for weed. Now it travels a few miles...no smuggling involved...way less risk...& it's 10 times the price now. THAT I don't understand!!8o8(

1/10 adjusted for inflation?

its certainly more popular and potent, driving up demand and with it price

us growers have to make more of a profit as this is an expensive country to live in, driving up price