• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl Megathread and FAQ

wearing the patches...

was just curious about the severity and whether one of the other (hydro or oxy) would ease the symptoms. I realize it's different for each person, ...I am prescribed both of those. I guess my ? could have been laid out more clearly :)

I can take either hc or oxy--so far the oxy has me feeling better. I feel sick on just the hc.

Have UA's otherwise I could take benzos or sleep aids..

expect acute, painful withdrawals for 3 days maximum. that should be all the physical side effects out of the way and then you'll be left with PAWS most likely - so try and have some hobbies going if you don't already - exercise, eating healthy, studying, etc

by taking the other opiates you'll alleviate some of the physical symptoms but you're only prolonging the wd in the end. try and take minimal doses at times when you only really need them to avoid dragging the affair on too long. maybe get some OTC aids and/or benzos to help with the anxieties.

merging

I would ask your doctor if you could drop to the 25mcg patch for a couple weeks and then the 12.5mcg patch for a couple weeks before coming off the fentanyl to help avoid any severe WD. Im suprised he isnt doing this in the first place. Thats assuming they've been prescribed.

The hydrocodone and oxycodone can help, but you should be careful to take a low dose everyday to avoid WD from them.

Thanks guys,

I had been prescribed the patches. There was a miscue between the prescription written, and the 'plan' to get off the patches. The prescription was short 5 patches, and I did not realize it till too late. I'm in day 2 of no patches, and feeling pretty squeeby. I haven't been able to sleep a whole lot, and every inch of my body aches and feels like I am being poked with needles. Other than that, I am GREAT! The oxy provides some relief, thank god...Those damn patches--I am steering clear of them from now on...

Thanks,

JT

Where is the best place to wear the patch? I have heard placement can determine how long it lasts depending on how much fat is in the area.

I know wearing it will not get me high, I'm not trying to get high. Just trying to get the best pain relief for the full 3 days per patch.

I am a skinny person, but not to the point where its unhealthy or I have no fat on my body.

Thanks.

The outside of the upper arm IMO, or on the ouside of the deltoid above the bicep on the outer arm where a short sleeve T-Shirt will cover it. I had problems with the patch sticking in most other areas. You need to pick an area where the skin doesnt move or stretch. it can be a pain in the ass, and no spot is perfect. Some patches are said to stick very well though.

it may also be a bit tough to get a full 3 days out of it. I remember the patch seemed to stay near its best for only about 48 hours. Also it may take until you start wearing the second patch to truly get some relief. Some will even say it takes longer, until a stable amount is in your blood or whatever. Of course it may not help your pain at all, it just depends, I didnt get much help from fentanyl.

Good luck.

Last edited:
the best place to wear the patch is on the head of your johnson. it's a mucous membrane, your dick head that is, not the patch, and that provides better transfer of the fent into you.

it's difficult getting the patch to stay but roll it in a tube with your dick inside and use some tape to hold it all.

added bonus is the patch is in a consistently (usually) warm place, in your pants

Thanks nikolai. Can I put duct tape over the patch to hold it in place? Or will that make it not work?

I just don't want the damn thing to come off and then become covered in dead skin so that I can't put it back on, then I will have to eat the gel like what happened last time...

Thanks nikolai. Can I put duct tape over the patch to hold it in place? Or will that make it not work?

I just don't want the damn thing to come off and then become covered in dead skin so that I can't put it back on, then I will have to eat the gel like what happened last time...

You can put tape over the edges of the patch to help hold it in place. Putting tape over the center of the patch holding the gel is supposed to be dangerous because the heat or tightness can cause a quicker release of the gel into the skin leading to potential overdose.

I know about the dead skin, once on they cannot be removed otherwise it is impossible to get them to stick again. I know wearing the patch can be a pain in the ass. Unfortunately experience is what will help best in figuring those things out, and your doctor doesnt give you 5 extra patchs to cover the 5 that fall off when you start.

my recemt experiences w/ fentanyl

I've recently started experimenting with fentanyl. I had had it sporadically in the past and remembered it as an alright narcotic-- particularly nice because of the duration that it could keep w/d at bay-- but not that great for recreational purposes.

This past week, oxies and roxies have been in short supply and fent has be the dope de jur. I'm still underwhelmed and I've found that the stories of its scary potency to be somewhat over-exaggerated. For the opiate naive, the warnings are certainly necessary, sure. But from what i've been reading, the conversion chart that is floating around this site, and my own personal experience, its not really that deadly strong when taken sublinguilly/transbuscally/worn as directed.

IIRC, the dosing equivalency for someone booting 120mg of oxy a day would be a 75mcg/hr patch worn as directed for the same analgesic relief (but I do realize that analgesia vs euphoria is an argument unto its own).

I even vaped a bit of the gel one night and didn't find it to be all that intense. A friend and I split a 25mcg/hr patch over the course of a few hours and while we both got high, it was nothing at all like I'd expected (this was my first exposure to fentanyl this year and my first time to ever freebase it). My friend seemed to get quite the high from the same amount of fent; she was actually cautioning me to slow down bc she was quite high and assumed that I must have been too. (FWIW, I did heed her advice and waited twenty minutes or so, but my initial feeling was correct, I was not getting high).

I freely admit that my freebasing technique is not the best and this probably contributed to my lack of "wow" on the experience. Pupils constricted and the w/d symptoms abated so it did work, it just lacked any real euphoria. I also am willing to note that this possibly jacked my tolerance (but subsequent shots of IV oxycodone seem to discredit that theory).

In the interest of harm reduction, I understand why such dire warnings preceed so many fent posts, but for the moderate to deeply addicted opiophile, isn't it just another powerful narcotic? so long as its not being IV'd in essentially unknown quantities, is it really any more dangerous than oxymorphone, hydromorphone, etc? (yes, I understand that it is an order of magnitude more powerful on a mcg per mcg basis, but thats why fent is sold in preparations on the mcg level and opana/dilaudid/oxycodone/morphine in preparations at the mg level)

I have been slamming anywhere from 80-240mg of oxycodone daily (well, on good days, anyway) for the past several months to catch a good buzz (i took a one week break in april, other than that, i've been doing opiates daily all year). BUT a single 30mg roxi is still enough to knock the sickness off for a few hours. An OC 80 can still be enough to keep me well all day if used 'responsibly' w/ some forethought and restraint. 120-150mgs of oxy in a single shot is enough for me to catch very nice buzz, even get a solid rush sometimes. This is by no means a monsterous habit or dicksizing or whatever, only providing a point of reference.

I did eventually get an alright buzz that first night once I applied a healthy dollop of the gel transbuscally after smoking roughly 1/3 of the 25mcg/hr patch, but it was just sort of heavy and sedating. No real euphoria to speak of at all.

I shot my usual pay-day pick me up of 120mg oxycodone around 2:30pm thursday (which still provided a decent rush and nice high), then I put a 75mcg/hr mylan patch on my upper left bicep thur afternoon at 5pm and, while i have felt no sickness at all today, it never really provided much of a buzz (I understand when wearing the patch it really takes about 12 hours to start getting the full effect, correct?).

In fact, I still "felt" a shot of ~40mg oxycodone around 1pm this afternoon (fri). After 30 hours wearing the original patch, I have titrated my dose by an additional 25mcg/hr patch (worn transdermally on my chest) in the hopes of catching something resembling an opiate high. Roughly three hours later, this seems to be working.

Is this normal? Is fent just not for some people? It is great at providing long-term w/d free work days, but I can't seem to find much recreational value out of it. I would presume that I am totally wrecking my tolerance, except that I still felt a shot of 40mg of oxy whilst wearing a 75mcg/hr patch. Not a huge rush or anything of that nature, but I felt the oxy taste and buzz and my pupils even constricted a tad (another weird thing, my pupils have not been pinned by any stretch today, prior to the shot of oxy. Smaller than normal, yes, but nothing that would indicate even a moderate opiate high).

Am I doing something wrong? I've use both the gel and matrix patches this week, smoked them, worn them, stuck them to my cheek/gums... thoughts?

Last edited:
I know about the dead skin, once on they cannot be removed otherwise it is impossible to get them to stick again.

I just had a patch fall off of my chest. It seems to be sticking fine after re-applying it (it had been there for about 3 hours only). Should it be functioning, even if not at optimal rates? Or is it fucked/should I just start chewing it/doing the transbucal thing?

Thanks...

Shit, the most recent 25mcg patch that I put on my upper chest (even shaved a little spot for it) fell off! I have re-applied it and it seems to be sticking alright, but I believe I read that once a transdermal patch comes off the "pores" if you will are blocked and worthless. It is a mylan brand non-gel style. Is it worthless? Should I take it off and chew it?

fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck fuck... any and all help appreciated!

Last edited:
So I obtained 1 50mc patch and wanted to check the best way to use it. I've been taking 100+ mg of ocycontin a day for probably 9 months or so. Is it safe for me to put on the patch? If I want to feel it in the morning shoudl I put it on at night since it takes awhile to work?

How soon after I havethe patch on can I dose suboxone?

Smoking fent gel (when they are fresh and not worn for three days) is an amazing high, almost like a shot.

Smoking like chasing the dragon with them? And do you mean with the gel patches? I haven't tried it but I thought there'd be quite a bit difference between chasing with one and an IV shot from one.

Also, I only just found out that they do Fent lollipops. It's not something I want to try as I'm really prone to mouth ulcers but if they make lollipops and Buccal tabs, does this mean that Fentanyl is absorbed better through the mouth/gums than when swallowed and absorbed through the GI tract?
Just wondering if the gel would be better rubbed into gums then or whether it'd have the exact same affect as swallowing?

Again, not actually gunna try it but just curious.

i had fentanyl patches prescribed to me when i got done my first surgery, its a good painkiller but i didnt really care for it. So for acute pain they give me morphine pills now, and for everyday pain 10mg percs

So I obtained 1 50mc patch and wanted to check the best way to use it. I've been taking 100+ mg of ocycontin a day for probably 9 months or so. Is it safe for me to put on the patch? If I want to feel it in the morning shoudl I put it on at night since it takes awhile to work?

How soon after I havethe patch on can I dose suboxone?

anyone wanna help me out? I'm planning on putting it on tomorrow

also, if you have the patch on for a few hours, then take it off for a day or so. will it still work when you put it back on?

so I usuall take oxy and haven't had any 20 hours, but I've had the fent patch on for 8 hours and don't feel anything....I'm actually experiecning opiate withdrawal :\

The fent patch takes about 10 hours, and honestly I wouldnt expect anything like the feeling you get from oxycodone. It should help the WD, buit with me, no euphoria, not much pain relief.

Do not take the fent patch off if you want to wear it later. It will not stick tightly with the skin after being removed and will be a giant pain in the ass.

I think the 50mcg patch will be safe for you to wear, but to be sure I would look for a fentanyl equivalency chart somewhere. Fent can be very dangerous if misused.

The fent patch takes about 10 hours, and honestly I wouldnt expect anything like the feeling you get from oxycodone. It should help the WD, buit with me, no euphoria, not much pain relief.

Do not take the fent patch off if you want to wear it later. It will not stick tightly with the skin after being removed and will be a giant pain in the ass.

I think the 50mcg patch will be safe for you to wear, but to be sure I would look for a fentanyl equivalency chart somewhere. Fent can be very dangerous if misused.

Its been about 12 hours since I put on patch and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms. No euphoria at all since I put it on. I thought it would at least have no withdrawals. Very disaapointed