• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction All veins collapsed. Shoot up PRO'S NEEDED.HELP!

BTH questions answered.

Hey all my fellow intravenous drug users! I cant help but scoff at the large amount of ignorant posts regarding heroin use, black tar specifically. However, I do agree with several of the posts by people who actually know what they are talking about. I have lived in Southern California for the past 3 years and have used dope practically the entire time... starting out with and being turned on by regular black tar and upgrading eventually to mexican red known locally as "the LA bomb shit"... everything has been good the past couple years but as of late (the start of 2010) I find myself spending as much as 2 hours pur issue attempting to register my shot... It has gotten to the point where I don't even prep or avoid doing it because I KNOW i will not be able to hit myself....you people think you have it bad? NOT until you have shot out: 1) both sides of my neck, 2) both arms (including fingertips, palms, wrists and upper arms), 3) both legs including calfs and feet all the way to toes....it has literally become so helpless that I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

I practically refuse to attempt to hit my pulmonary or femoral due to a bad experience putting an entire issue into my inner upper thigh believing to have registered it and actually just having hit a blood vessel or something of the like.

Anyone with questions or seeking advice, especially related to BTH or hard to find veins please post a response or contact me, I will try and help you to the best of my ability.

My best advice to those starting down the horrible path of total vein collapse, is to continue to exercise and workout, bicep and forearm exercises being the best... and for those scared to try and hit their neck, DONT BE! but it is easiest and best to learn by having someone else hit you (THAT IS KNOWLEDGEABLE NOT A NEWB) first.
Directions for hitting neck by your self:
1) find a mirror such as a bathroom or wall, not hand held, and make sure the room is well lit with a good source of light...something about those twitchy public bathroom fluorescent bulbs fucks with my eyesight when trying to hit.
2) after preparing your shot (for your neck it HAS to be NO bigger then a 29G you guys...unless you want to fuck your shit up and deal with some unnecessary pain...30G and 31G being ideal, but where I am from 29Gs are the only ones available so they work fine. Make sure to use an alcohol swab on both your neck AND the needle (ie: hold the alc swab in between your thumb and pointer finger fold it over the exposed needle and wipe it off insuring no gunk or foreign bodies are left from filtering with cotton or whatever)
3) Lean forward as close to the mirror as the sink or whatever in your way will allow and GET READY!
4) First step is to take several long and deep slow breaths (increasing your bloods oxygen levels so you don't pass out (seen it happen MULTIPLE times guys no joke)
5) Turning your head slightly to the OPPOSITE side that you are attempting to hit, but not too far that you can't see that side of the neck, take a DEEP breath and hold it...for lack of a better description you are trying to puff your neck out as if you were squeezing out a ridiculously large turd (when being hit by another person a lot of people hold their nose to aid with this)
6) Holding the needle in your dominant hand of the side you are trying to hit, use a finger to palpate (feel around for) a vein, they run RIGHT above your collar bone and up the side of your neck and if you haven't hit them before, they SHOULD be easily visible guys
7) insert needle with syringe completely parallel with your sholder/the ground and insert in direction of head (ideally you always want to inject in direction of heart which would be downward in this case but its just too hard to do it this way on your own and trust me there is so much blood coming down through these veins it doesnt matter which way you inject)
8) while still holding your breath this entire time, use your other hand to pull back the plunger a bit and look for the register, you might have to poke around a little bit usually a little shallower or deeper, once registered and STILL HOLDING BREATH, carefully inject the issue while BEING EXTREMELY careful to ANCHOR the syringe properely (for you newbs this means resting the point where the barrel turns into the needle in other words where metal turns into plastic on your skin so the needle doesnt move in or out while you are trying to hit)
9) DO NOT EXHALE YOUR BREATH/RELEASE YOUR BREATH UNTIL YOU ARE DONE INJECTING YOUR SHOT, ONCE DONE INJECTING PULL NEEDLE OUT CAREFULLY AFTER YOU HAVE RELEASED YOUR BREATH DOO NOOOOOT PULL IT OUT WHILE STILL HOLDING YOUR BREATH GUYS this is a mistake
10) YOU HAVE just hit your neck! Cool huh? and the RUSh from it is not beatable by any other spot on the body in my oppinion, hits you instantly and you understand why.

When having ANOTHER person hit your neck you can turn your neck farther to the side because you dont need to have a line of sight and have the person insert the needle downward (toward your heart) essentially parallel with our neck and head or perpendicular to the ground, this is A LOT easier to do then sounds believe me.

I enjoyed reading all of your posts, some of you are very informed dope users....one quote specifically had me ROFL laughing because of how true/accurate it was....some one mentioned that there are several different kinds of dope users they run into one of which BEING people that have HORRIBLE technique and SHOOT UP all the time and STILL have fucking ROPES all over their arms, I have a friend like this and it pisses me off to NO end i have seen him hit in a car while driving on the fucking highway, I often joke that he should let be borrow one of his : )

Happy hunting guys...all i gotta say is I hope you arent as far gone as I am....veins has become a non existant word for me as of late.

Please note...

I just wanted to say, please don't use your neck veins for IV. You must know what you're doing to IV in your neck. If you hit an artery in your neck I am sure you wouldn't survive.

There are better spots to IV in besides the neck. If the neck is all you have left, please take a break.

If you are going to use your neck veins, please be very careful and use SHORT TIPS. Make sure you are hydrated so you can tell the difference between your vein blood and artery blood.

I would never use my neck vein for IVing.

Then you must be a medical fucking miracle with NONDISSAPEARING veins dude but for people like me who have used for multiple years you hit what you can and you dont argue about it. You are completely overexagerating the dangers in hitting the neck arteries are deep veins are at the surface if you inject into an artery in your neck you dont know what your doing period. And if there are better places to IV that you know of and I dont...explain...where? how do you hit them? it is ridiculous to assume taking a "break" is an option for EVERYONE its called being a DRUG ADDICT dude this is heroin not marijuana were talking about.

Then you must be a medical fucking miracle with NONDISSAPEARING veins dude but for people like me who have used for multiple years you hit what you can and you dont argue about it. You are completely overexagerating the dangers in hitting the neck arteries are deep veins are at the surface if you inject into an artery in your neck you dont know what your doing period. And if there are better places to IV that you know of and I dont...explain...where? how do you hit them? it is ridiculous to assume taking a "break" is an option for EVERYONE its called being a DRUG ADDICT dude this is heroin not marijuana were talking about.

I just take care of myself, work out frequently, use smaller gauge needles, and am not compulsed to IV as frequnetly/as often/as much as I can. There's no need to be sarcastic about this.

I'm not arguing with you. Some people will lose their veins due to many factors, others don't. It is possible to go many years of your life without losing veins though. Not everyone will lose their veins. I'm not arguing with you on this point either, it's just a fact.

"Completely over-exaggerating..." - I don't think so. Please read the Case Studies thread to see what IVing can do to people. I'm not saying the neck is more dangerous than other areas of the body (using the femoral vein is the riskiest due to placement directly above the femoral artery), what I'm saying is it's tricky. It's not something many people can do, especially on their own. Many people in BL are injecting themselves, and struggle just to get a good shot on their arm veins.

Instead of editing a warning into your post, I just added in that some people may not want to turn to injecting in their necks. A lot of people will flame you for talking about such a thing on BL, I'm not flaming you. I'm not telling you not to IV in your neck. I'm just not advising you do so. You obviously can do this on your own, or however you do it, so I think you're OK.

I am not saying take a break from heroin either, no one will do that unless they want to quit/take a break. I'm saying take a break from IVing. Try another ROA. Heroin works well snorted (if it's powder) or smoked (if it's BTH). You can also water-line BTH, or smoke/vaporize powder heroin (a lot trickier/ineffective/a waste).

I don't think there are many other safer alternatives you have not already listed, so I don't want to say that there is a better option for you or anyone who really is left with their neck/femoral/etc. It's a call only you can make for yourself.

For the record I think it is good you advised people how to IV in their necks if they are going to do it anyways. That's why I didn't delete your post or edit it. I just think telling people to do this is best augmented with "Please use short tip needles when using this injection site." so that there's less of a chance someone accidentally hits an artery. Thank you for adding your experience to the board!

Castout, It must be that tar that screws up your veins so badly huh? I'm a long time eastcoaster who's only done powder dope (or chunks) and while yes my arms are done a long time ago due to speedballing, I've used a spot on my leg (inside calve) that's held up for many years and literally never misses. I don't even have to register because it sort of self registers all by it's lonesome. The key is NOT to miss, use good pins, and move around some. This spot is about 3" long so plenty to play with. Got to be the tar?

The neck is the most dangerous place to inject. It's more dangerous than the femoral. Hitting the artery is not the only risk with neck injecting. There are nerves that run close by the jugular, controlling the vocal chords and the mouth. Hitting these can cause permanent damage. Also, local infections in the neck (abscesses etc) can place pressure on nerves / arteries, and this can be highly dangerous.

Holding your breath while injecting into your neck can also increase risks of fainting. This is highly dangerous advice and no one should attempt it. And just because you've done it and aren't dead yet, doesn't make it safe.

The jugular takes blood away from your brain, shooting there (while also being stupid) will decrease the rush.

The jugular takes blood away from your brain, shooting there (while also being stupid) will decrease the rush.

Um...no?

When you shoot into a vein, the vein travels to the heart. Arteries travel to extremities, and veins travel back to the heart.

If you would KINDLY refer to my post FLEX you would see how I have instructed people to take several deep breaths before holding their breath and TO WATCH OUT FOR FEINTING bc i have seen it happen...and just because ive done it doesnt mean i would recomend it to people...but because i have seen COUNTLESS people do it and DO IT TO EACHOTHER on a regular basis...i put up a faq. for those of us with no veins we HIT WHAT WE CAN AND DONT ARGUE about it.. but think what you want.

little help

i know what u mean,i've been in the same situation as u,i've used all my veins 2,my arms veins all all collapsed,also my neck veins 2 so i sesorted 2 using my foot veins and ocasionally since i've been on methadon for 4 months now,when i feel like shooting methadone i usually from time 2 time i shoot in my femural arthery(i know it's not same and need i mention 2 u guys i'me on 22 methadone pills of 2.5 mg,that is all the romenian clinics in bucharest have unlike the american methad clinics that use the 5 or 10 mg/pill),but 2 b on on topic u should start shooting in your foot(the bottom of the foot and a little tip,in my case when those veins collapsed as well i used 2 take a very hot shower and after that the veins that i couldn't see used 2 pop out under the hot water)
it really sucks when the veins collapse and their so damn hard 2 fing,talking from my own experience,so with all that said hope things will get beter,and another tip,u can find in the drug store a cream that helps regenerate the collapse veins,well there should b around u some drug store that has this that when u squezz the tube it comes in a form of a gel,i know it worked 4 me and btw i like in Romania,so u shouldn't be a problem finding this gel where u live
hope 2 hear some progress in your "activity":D
i wish u nothing but the best
regards,Gabriel:D

P.S.
i'm talking from my expericence since i've been a heroin addict for 2 years now and 4 months on methadone and dispide all the controversy surrounding methadone it had a very good result in my case since i've started the program i've didn't touch the H in about 4 months even though it cross my mind more then a few times now but i've managed to "resist the temptation" cuz Bucharest is a city that u can find all kinds of drugs especially H(black tar and white powder) and hopefully i hope for the best,and didn't start by saying i will never touch H again in my life,i knwo pple who havn't touch H in 4 yrs up 2 6-8 yrs and relapsed,it all depends what your priorities are in life and what u choose is the best solution 4 u
hopefully i've managed 2 give u a little info on the situation
regards,Gabriel:D

Last edited:
Wasted 4 grams plus yesterday and spent 2 hours trying to hit a piece...got half of one in and thats it...muscled the rest out of desperation...im fucking hopeless. and for all you people dissing on my technique i am a pro.....its just because of that ive hit every vein a million times...and they got mad at me and were like PEACE the fuck OUT.

im not goin to post the place i go ..............pm me ill explaine.........this is harm redution sight ....this ante yor firs rorio if there colapsed pm me

with all do respect i think you shold quit, or start plugging it thats effective also

Take off the needle and squirt it up your ass. It's the nearest you'll feel to IV again, unless you find some more veins.

Dont wanna say this. But. Most people who run out of veins use the femoral, btw. It lasts a lot longer. You will need a bigger needle though.

Hi, just wanted to check what you were saying was right. I was told that by someone and just had to do it. I can't get a vein and then it started to congeal! It does work then? What to do if congeals?

Laura :\

Most people switch to the groin or neck when they run out veins - though believe me, this can result in really horrible things happening. (I had a large needle snap off in my groin last time I did it - in hospital for 4 or 5 days, and am permenantly scarred as a result of the operation to remove it).

I completely refuser to veleive that you have no veins as a rsult of shooting for just 8 MONTHS.

Jesus, I was shooting around 12 times a day for 8 YEARS before I had to switch to my groin.

If this really is the case, then your technique must be HORRIBLE - and switching to such dangerous locations as the neck/groin would probably end in disaster.

My local needle exchange has a nurse on hand, to help you find new veins - maybe thats worth a shot (pun intended)?

If you have no veins left for fuck sake seek treatment to stop pumping chems into your blood! You've obviously gone too far.

that has been said..
and what has also been said is not to say that. It's up to the OP if they want to continue using and not seek help. they know they have a problem, if they choose to keep using.. that's there prerogative.

If you have no veins left for fuck sake seek treatment to stop pumping chems into your blood! You've obviously gone too far.

Who are you to tell people to stop using?

Anyway, lets face it - if you are using smack that much, then its going to take more than some random internet bloke saying "err stop!!1" to make them actually quit.

A heroin/opiate addict will only quit when THEY want to not a SINGLE SECOND before.

If that means they need to shoot into their groin and/or neck - then they WILL do so. Thats the power of the drug.

I don't understand situations like these. I've been IVing for almost 2 1/2 years. For the first 2 months I IV'd once to twice a day, and almost every day since then have been IV'ing at least 3 times a day but as much as 6 or 7 times a day on binges. I have only ever used my arms, and namely the antecubital middle vein on my left arm. It looks bad and it pretty scarred up but I can always hit it. I mostly used 29g insulin syringes, but have at times used as large as 25g. Also, I use the same needle for about a month at a time.

Only thing I can suggest is to get some tiny needles and try to hit veins you think are gone. Do you use a tourniquet? Try that, and that same advice everyone else gives, take a hot shower, hang your arm below your heart for 10 minutes.

Also, I didn't read the whole thread, and I know this is kind of sketchy, but if you're a guy, have you tried getting an erection and shooting in a vein on your penis?

Last edited:
have you tried getting an erection and shooting in a vein on your penis?

Are you serious?

From what I have seen with my own eyes - shooting in the groin would be better:\

I've had several using-mates, that have tried this, and each of them ended up with pitch-black bruised dicks.

The vein in your dick is almost certainly going to blow-out when you shoot. And the results are fucking hidieous. Especially if have a sex life (which yeah, is rare for a smackhead) - what the FUCK are you going to say to your girl when she looks at your cock and thinks its going to fall off??