• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Beer Snobs Unite! 100+ IBU or GTFO

that brooklyn black chocolate stout is my goto. even though it's seasonal, a shop close stocks up to have year round.

i just got rye rebellion by full pint brewing, a whiskey barrel aged imperial stout. it's been a while since i've had it, but i think kentucky bourbon barrel stout is my favorite -- holy shit, it's been so long that they rebranded; good to know i'm not looking for the right label. the whiskey instead of bourbon is very noticeable. i don't think i prefer it, but i like it.

i'm takin a 40 ounce piss of OE on all this beer snob shit

Not 100+ IBU, sorry mate. ;)
-bronson

Last edited by a moderator:
that brooklyn black chocolate stout is my goto. even though it's seasonal, a shop close stocks up to have year round.

Yeah, I've had that Brooklyn plenty of times but the bottle I got is from 2009 so I'm excited to try an aged version. I'll probably wait til I have a "fresh" one to do a side by side.

it's been a while since i've had it, but i think kentucky bourbon barrel stout is my favorite

Have you tried the regular Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale? One or my favorites. Lots of vanilla and oak flavors, really smooth and delicious and 10%ABV.

Isn't 100 IBU near the theoretical saturation point for bitterness conferred by alpha-acids?

ebola

I'll probably wait til I have a "fresh" one to do a side by side.
i'd be interested to hear once you do. it's in season right now. meaning the '13-'14 bottles are currently on shelves.

Have you tried the regular Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale? One or my favorites. Lots of vanilla and oak flavors, really smooth and delicious and 10%ABV.
i have. is quite common on tap where i live. it's much, much more popular than the stout. i love them both, but really the ale makes me wish i had a glass of the stout.

Max Power said:
Aren't zebras just white horses with black stripes?

me:
9gS1L.gif

ebola

ebola killed this thread.

I posted this in the Lounge but figured I would cross post this here seeing as I spent the time to take the pics, need to get some mileage out of it. Also, BUMP.

(for those who care, that's a port Black Tuesday. Kinda hard to read. Thinking about getting the set with rum, madeira, and reserve but that will take some time.)

AXlDIp1.jpg

And these. That's a 120 bottle Sam Calagione signed for me. Beer geeked out. Also, the Parageusia 4 label is kinda hidden. Tired Hands, ftw.

XYTZla4.jpg

The eight beers on the right will be shipped off shortly. So there will be some new beers to add to the cellar. Stay tuned; I hear they are pulling in some gems.

fBvI7Sm.jpg

And then these are just beers I need to drink soon/are for bottle shares/whatever.

QlQswIe.jpg

Not pictured are the everyday beers, mostly IPAs, like Jai Alai, Heady, PseudoSue, Zombie Dust, etc etc. Who wants to see those, anyway.

Also not pictured are the 6-8 de Garde beers that are supposed to land Wednesday and a Side Project box with even more de Garde. So just pretend they are in there.

Smell ya later.

I fully endorse revival of this thread. Now that my employment situation is decent, I can actually afford passable beer...but I'm having trouble allowing myself purchase of anything fancier than Lagunitas (awesome budget microbrewery...is it 'budget' elsewhere in the country? I'm ~30 miles from their main brewery, and bombers are like four bucks).

ebola
(that chart should have had "you" and "me" reversed)

Y'all have a beer snob thread too? Oh goodie. Heres a pic of a share I was a part of on Friday:

w9ZNgA0.jpg

The Armand 4'Zommer was the best gueuze I've ever had the pleasure of trying. I couldn't believe one of the people there didn't want any and poured her glass into mine. It was like christmas.

I fully endorse revival of this thread. Now that my employment situation is decent, I can actually afford passable beer...but I'm having trouble allowing myself purchase of anything fancier than Lagunitas (awesome budget microbrewery...is it 'budget' elsewhere in the country? I'm ~30 miles from their main brewery, and bombers are like four bucks).

ebola
(that chart should have had "you" and "me" reversed)

Lagunitas has great pricing.

I've always liked Wildcat, made by Labatt. I wish i could find it everywhere, it's my favorite beer.

wildcat-6.jpg

Today i was drinking some Victory Summer Love at 5.2%abv. It's not bad at all and gives a nice buzz

I used to drink "Vermonster" brewed by Rock Art Brewery in Morrisville, Vermont when I lived in that state. 10% ABV and 100 IBU. One 22 oz bottle would leave me with a pretty healthy buzz.

hydroazuanacaine said:

OMG that stuff is soooo yummy.

I fucking love beer. Unfortunately I had to quit consuming gluten because it's helping my psoriasis go away and it was starting to get into my joints and I'm a musician. :( So no more beer for me unless it's had the gluten removed.

I really like Elysian Space Dust (Elysian is the company)

My favorite beer was St. Pauli's Special Dark. Very skunky in scent and taste, always reminded me of cannabis.

Anheuser-Busch bought them out about 6 months after I turned 21. They never made the Special Dark again since. It really bums me out when I see their plain lager now...

Now I just drink Miller Lites if I'm feeling cheap, and Pacifico if it's summer. Maybe some of the local microbrews, there's some good summer pilsners here. I have a sweet spot for plain ol' Guinness as well but it's not something I like to binge drink, and to be honest, I drink to get drunk.