• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B) "Vodka"

flacky

Bluelighter
Been thinking about something. 2-methyl-2-butanol (herein, 2M2B) is more potent than ethanol, has a longer duration, less negative side effects, etc. So, creating a 2M2B solution equipotent to a typical 40% ABV vodka could be very beneficial.

So, here's what I'm thinking calculations-wise:
1 L 40% ABV Vodka => 400 mL EtOH, which should be about 315.6 g EtOH.

Seeing how 2M2B is about 20x more potent by weight (wiki), this would take 15.78 g of 2M2B or 19.36 mL of the stuff. So, with 19.36 mL 2M2B, you have enough stock material to make about a liter of decent and longer-lasting vodka.

Ideas? Criticisms?

Been thinking about something. 2-methyl-2-butanol (herein, 2M2B) is more potent than ethanol, has a longer duration, less negative side effects, etc. So, creating a 2M2B solution equipotent to a typical 40% ABV vodka could be very beneficial.

So, here's what I'm thinking calculations-wise:
1 L 40% ABV Vodka => 400 mL EtOH, which should be about 315.6 g EtOH.

Seeing how 2M2B is about 20x more potent by weight (wiki), this would take 15.78 g of 2M2B or 19.36 mL of the stuff. So, with 19.36 mL 2M2B, you have enough stock material to make about a liter of decent and longer-lasting vodka.

Ideas? Criticisms?

I have been extremely interested in 2M2B since the tryptamine dreamer threads, and I have found a few sources, some of which are incredibly cheap...I'm probably going to try this in the near future.

Has anyone else given this a shot?

EDIT: Given 2M2B is reported to have a not-so-unpleasant minty flavor, making a solution equipotent to 40% ethanol (2% 2M2B?) would probably allow for some dramatic flavor improvement over current mixed drinks...you could make some incredible mint-iced tea type stuff with this I'm sure...

I had a spit of reagent-grade 2M2B yesterday and it burned the hell out of my esophagous (I had to swig it quick). I recommend cocktailing it with something to neutralize the irritant property.

I have been extremely interested in 2M2B since the tryptamine dreamer threads, and I have found a few sources, some of which are incredibly cheap...I'm probably going to try this in the near future.

The idea of making your own was brought up and I think it's a good one if you have the gear. Even better, concoct some 1-ethynylcyclohexanol.

Last edited:
this sounds like a great idea,
a flask could hold enough to get a small crowd wasted!

any links to the metabolites?

Last edited:
I had a spit of reagent-grade 2M2B yesterday and it burned the hell out of my esophagous (I had to swig it quick). I recommend cocktailing it with something to neutralize the irritant property.

The idea of making your own was brought up and I think it's a good one if you have the gear. Even better, concoct some 1-ethynylcyclohexanol.

Ya know, I recently botched a sandmeyer rxn, I think I'm a little less experienced than I should be to pull something like this off...>_<

But can you give us a 2M2B exp. report? How was it? Was the irritation so bad because you had it straight, or was it bad even after being diluted? :D

this sounds like a great idea,
a flask could hold enough to get a small crowd wasted!

any links to the metabolites?

Yup.

Exactly what I was thinking down to the last little detail of it being a mint iced tea. Great minds think alike.
=D

It used to be the active ingedient of OTC travel sickness tablets for dogs (actually they were liquid filled capsules). It was very nice, but as expected, the pet shops caught on to this mini craze and the company removed all the 2-methyl-2-butanol (I believe it was also called amylene hydrate)

As an isomer of a legal drug, is synthesis discussion of this allowed?

Wouldn't it be possible to make fat liquid caps of this substance? 2 shots of ever-clear should be equal to 1/10th of a shot of this, it could fit in a fat liquid cap, and two would get you (me at least) plastered.

But can you give us a 2M2B exp. report? How was it? Was the irritation so bad because you had it straight, or was it bad even after being diluted? :D

In hindsight I really can't tell. We were using it as a substrate in a multistep thingy and I downed less than mL, very quickly, on a dare. As for the effects: the substance merits further investigation.

Remember for your calculations that t-amyl alcohol has roughly twice the molar mass of ethanol. I don't know if this was taken into account by whomever posted that 20 multiplier to the wiki.

Remember for your calculations that t-amyl alcohol has roughly twice the molar mass of ethanol. I don't know if this was taken into account by whomever posted that 20 multiplier to the wiki.

Should be. Potency is usually measured by weight, not by mole...

I took a look at the primary source that they cite for that figure, though, and the 20x figure might be a bit shaky. The article says that it can take around 100 g of EtOH to put someone to sleep, with an equipotent amount of 2M2B falling between 2 g and 4 g. This would actually put the figure between 25x and 50x.

The source says that the increase in potency is due to the hypnotic effect of the alcohol being more pronounced among the family of tertiary alcohols.......

I'm starting to wonder where the original poster on wikipedia got that 20x figure, then.

I'm starting to wonder where the original poster on wikipedia got that 20x figure, then.

The book the endnote links to gives 2-4 grams as the standard hypnotic dose for tert-amyl. Assume a tolerant person's dose is 5 grams tert-amyl at bedtime. I assume the author divided the 100 grams ethanol the book mentioned by that.

Molecule for molecule, that same ratio is roughly 38 to 1.

Well, I'm obviously not a tolerant user, so it sounds like the 37.5x is more accurate.

Well then, would synthesis be hard?

Please, no specifics on any synthesis instructions but; is it chloral hydrate synthesis easy, or would it require some more advanced equipment and knowledge?

it is commercially available and pretty cheap like most of the similar fusel oils, (13 usd per litre)
why would anybody bothering synthesizing it???

What are the likely and potential health risks compared to Ethanol? In general, better or worse?

The tertiary alcohol can't be metabolized into a toxic aledhyde. That's a plus. Also, I remember a study being linked to saying that 2M2B is excreted as the gluconidrate. Liver damage is still possible, tho.

Synthesis is easy anyway, industrially. But I'm not going to elaborate. The big problem will be if the governments of the world start controlling it like GHB and friends.

You know, with these drugs, there's a really easy way to stop people from overdosing on them: simply dilute the chemical with water until you're roughly where a 5%-10% alcoholic beverage is and no more. Try to make it palatable and just sip. This will help stop you from consuming insane amounts in one sitting. If you're not an idiot about things, there's no reason to overdose. GHB was simply too potent to be safely used, and the deaths were what led to the scheduling.

And hey, it's all fun and games until someone dies, right?