• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight Bonsai Enthusiasts?

tylerwashere

Bluelighter
I have just recently, in the last 6 months, become very interested in the art of bonsai. It helps me with meditation and relaxation. In case some one doesn't know, bonsai is an ancient art, using trees as a medium. The main idea is to keep the tree dwarfed and make it looks like a tree you would find in nature. It has definitely added some time to my patience jar and given me a whole new perspective on nature. Ill post pics of some of mine as soon as I get this new camera working...

The only style I really like is the Forest Bonsai.

2846497441_8c85295060.jpg

Apart from this exception, I would rather see a tree grow to it's full potential in the ground.

Bonsai is the plant that attracts the most theft in nurseries by about 2000% more than anything else.

They can become very valuable.

i'm working on a bonsai avocado right now. dunno if that's possible, but i have it in a 8 ounce pot and i plan on keeping it in there for years. i love starting avocado seeds and giving them as gifts once they establish themselves. they make good house plants or people can plant them outside.

it's supposed to mean that the lounge is not a very serious place, and if you're looking for serious replies you should probably re-post this thread in Second Opinion

or I could just move it for you....

Obviously its the first picture that comes up on google when searching bonsai ;)

Been planning on giving bonsai a go in the not too distant future. A friend of mine recently started a couple and he's pretty into it. Might take a pic next time I'm around there.

it's supposed to mean that the lounge is not a very serious place, and if you're looking for serious replies you should probably re-post this thread in Second Opinion

or I could just move it for you....

a trash can? How is this a "serious" subject? It doesn't even have anything to do with drugs?

If you could move it to Second opinion for me thatd be great....

I've always had a fascination with Bonsai. A local botanical garden has an amazing display with some as old as 85-90 years old! Absolutely incredible!

They offer free classes in a cool outdoor "classroom" there in the spring and summer. I promised myself I will attend this year. Just one more reason for me to be on pins and needles awaiting the arrival of spring!

HC

I love Forest Style but I'm not really there yet. Been working on a tiny maple for about 10 years and it looks okay. But I really didn't know shit about Bonsai technique until the last couple years. So I just used regular pruning techniques and what-have-you. But the process is enjoyable.

I know what you mean, Klue, Bonsai is about controlling nature in quite an intensely concentrated way. And that turned me off for a while, but I've found the practice to be really rewarding do I've given myself a pass. And though I'm pretty damn good with house plants, I've learned a lot about trees and pruning from working with my small tree. I'll try to get a photo up soon.

Anyway, yeah, bring on the Bonsai thread...

Bonsai are amazing, but as most require careful overwintering I'm not able to keep them. I had a great serissa foetida maybe 8 years ago. Nearly killed it twice, but I was able to train it from broom style to an awesome literati/semi-windswept.

The neat thing was when it bloomed; it would just be covered in these tiny white star blossoms that smelled like rotting flesh. :) I'd love to do a maple, plum, and a few others, but just don't have the proper overwintering set up atm as I live in a highrise.

I had some Bansai seeds waiting to germinate or whatever that process is wherein the seeds are wrapped in a wet paper towel and refrigerated. Anyhow, we were moving to a new house during that week, and while cleaning out the fridge, my seeds got thrown away.

:(

I'd like to own a Japanese white pine bonsai. Most of them look like someone poked a skinny branch in a pot. This looks like one of those big huge, ancient, thousand year trees . . . mini-sized.

bonsai is awesome, and you can do amazing things with some trees/shrubs that you might not think of immediately (e.g. azaleas, rosemary). my dad was heavily into bonsai for a while and that's how i developed an interest in it. we traveled to nurseries up and down the west coast looking for exceptional trees and also dug up a few promising ones straight out of the ground occasionally. i remember when we found some 5-needle pines out in a forest and being all excited about it.

i love the root over rock style, although it takes a lot of time and patience to get everything to grow correctly and get the roots exposed right without killing the tree. i learned about all sorts of random horticultural stuff during that phase - root pruning, grafting, etc.

our deck was full of bonsai trees - various pines, junipers, maples, elm, boxwood, crabapple, wisteria... the list goes on. i like the grove style as well (what people are calling 'forest' in here) and i also think some cascades are really cool. i was also kind of a bark nerd and still think flaky, gnarly bark on a hundred year old tree that's like 18" high is really impressive. same thing with strong, fat trunks. jins are also awesome although i could never get the technique right.

the shimpaku (juniper) is a total classic and probably my all-time favorite tree:

shimpaku-juniper.jpg

(nice bleaching on that one too :))

sick trunk here, i think this is a trident maple (also a classic!) and check out how shallow the pot/root system is:

sscn3683.jpg

bonsai is an incredible art form and almost limitless. as long as you don't pronounce it "banzai" you're cool in my book.

Last edited: