• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight Bonsai Enthusiasts?

^ I referred to my Bonsai book and it talks about 'group plantings' rather than any specific term.

Maples and Conifers don't do too well in Australia, at least where I live. They might do okay in the temperate regions though. The most hard an reliable plant as a bonsai here is any of the Ficus species.

451319289_e470175018.jpg

This one is Ficus macrophilla, or the strangler fig. I see them a lot growing on rocks and brick walls here, they are tough as old boots.

I got a Bonsai for my birthday today, I always wanted one but I never had enough money to go out and buy one for the fear that I don't live in the right climate to take care of one.

Either way, I have a Hawaiian Umbrella Tree. The leaflet it came with said it's one of the easier bonsai's to take care of. I hope I can keep it indoors for the most part, because the Mojave desert does not treat rain forest plants very well.

Pics? :)

I've not heard of that kind of tree being a bonsai, but I'd imagine that since it's tropical there wouldn't be a huge requirement for overwintering. Just keep it well-watered and in a moist environment, and I'd bet that it would stay pretty happy.

That species of pot plant has been a popular house plant here for decades.

They are tough, you probably should have some luck! :)

hi guys/gals... glad to see there are other bonsai people on here... I'm fairly new to bonsai but am starting to have some luck. I've killed quite a few trees but am starting to get this thing down. I have a few little ficus that i will be bonsai'ing soon, a pistachio that i thought i killed (lost all leaves) but 3-4 months later it grew all its leaves back and looks better than ever. I have a few umbrella trees that are going to be grown root over rock eventually (like my pistachio) as well as a mimosa (silk tree) that i found in my mom's backyard. The only one that is a true bonsai so far is the pistachio, but other will be potted/ trimmed soon enough. I also have a 55gal. terrarium that is full of tropical plants, and a large exo-terra tank filled with plants. My house is starting to look like a jungle. I love it. I'll get some pics in the next day or so!

here's a pic of my pistachio. (hopefully the pic shows up, if not i'll put it on photobucket or similar tomorrow

Attachments

• smallerbonsai.jpg
    smallerbonsai.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 151
seems to be working on my end, you gotta click to see it larger but that's not a big deal to me. Not sure if people on this forum prefer this way or larger img directly in post

Oh yeah, I'm liking those.

Good bump :)

mine died.. i'm shit with plants :(

I would love to have bonsai & I know I would look after them & nurture, the whole lot. The same could not be said for my wife though. She is the most awful plant serial killer known to humankind, so I cannot trust her to be in the same house, never mind the same room as them. :|

^Please refer to the Second Opinion Forum Guidelines that all members are asked to read before posting.

I know it was posted in jest, but we don't allow drug talk or anything associated within Second Opinion. I thank you in advance for understanding :)

I have two, or possibly three at the moment. I had a gorgeous Chinese Elm that was about 35 years old that I was given, by my dad, for a birthday present. The style is one that I rarely see for that species - tall and slender, almost imitating a young tree. We got it from a Chelsea Gold-winning bonsai nursery. I had that for a couple of years but, after a visit to Turkey this summer in which time the UK had a ridiculous heatwave, it crisped. I'm hoping it will make a comeback.

I also have an Acer that naturally turned itself Bonsai in a relative's garden. It's currently overwintering and I hope it will recover come the spring.

The other one, still definitely alive, is a small tree I gathered wild that is in training. The way I recommend getting into Bonsai is like this. Gathering a native tree to your area and keeping it outside. With annual pruning it will develop into a Bonsai of your design after a period of time. I guess mine will take another 5 years before I'm completely happy - but then again, I'm patient.

Last edited:
Thats a cool hobby that I was trying to get into about 9 years ago when I was first trying to get clean. Instead of bonzai-ing, I went back to using for a few more months unfortunately........

Then, I bought my 1st home a couple years later and started growing lots of plants, vines, trees, fruits, berries, etc. I like growing unusual things or growing plants from seeds that I got from a fruit or seed pod. Like a Pomegranate I have growing indoors right now that Ive had for about 4 years.........

I also grew a garden this past year.

But i have not gotten back into bonzai yet, but I will have to at some point, cause it looks cool.

Good luck........

Josh those look fantastic!!

Fanks n3o:)

I think there due for a clipping and a training session soon, I wanna try and push them forward into the "informal upright" position, but I'm pretty sure Junipers aren't ideal for that :\

^^ Worth a shot though, right?

Then, I bought my 1st home a couple years later and started growing lots of plants, vines, trees, fruits, berries, etc. I like growing unusual things or growing plants from seeds that I got from a fruit or seed pod. Like a Pomegranate I have growing indoors right now that Ive had for about 4 years.........

Yep, me too man. I've got an outdoor pomegranate tree! You should check out the garden thread. I've got a few photos of my plants in there somewhere :)

Hey guys, I'd like to help my girlfriend kickstart her bonsai growing hobby (apart from just having one random ready bought plant) when it is her upcoming birthday... :) <3
Could you help me out with some literature for myself or her so that I got a good picture of a nice hands-on starter kit?
Get her a pre-bonsai, aluminum wiring, the clippers and a pot? How does one practice? With a few pre-bonsai to spare that can be 'tortured' pruned ?

I like the idea of pistache, for one day... but what are nice bonsai or pre-bonsai species for starters (I think indoors, should one want that?), ones that let themselves be handled without heavy bitching / species that cooperate in getting that miniaturized look..?