• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego Death. Who Has Experienced It And On What Drug?

Visionary_Kpsycho

Bluelighter
Ego Death. Who Has Experienced It and On What Drug? What was the experience like? Do you truly loose your identity? What do you recommended to achieve this state?

Yes, on various psychedelics.. but it was most profound on DMT.

Ketamine caused the most profound version of this. Psilocybe mushrooms have as well.

High dose of 2C-E with JWH-200 and loads of cannabis in the perfect, peaceful psytrance outdoor festival. ^_^

The vibrant waves of what is are amazing.

EDIT, add to one of the questions OP made: Yes, I did fully lose my identity. I don't know how long it was, but to me it felt like an instant moment (but I am sure it couldn't be since I was amiss more than 4 hours!) that had the most beautiful visuals of my lifetime. It started with all things on the ground starting to live. It was night, flowers were down; But they rose and bloomed and the air was filled with butterflies, that shot after them amazing white colored fractals that slowly fell to the ground; Next, my vision blurred and all I could really see anymore were these waves that moved in sync with the beating essence of universe. I think I fell down and no longer really felt anything - or felt it all, which would perhaps be more precise. It's an experience hard to describe, since it's so above the meaning.. that any shared word could hold. It's just such a perfect clarity.

After that I soon became vegetarian (well, I confess, still eating meat in university when the vegetarian side isn't open yet) and overall - I think - became much more caring person, who'd no longer purposfully act like an arsehole.

The experience really showed how everything and nothing are so close to each other, and how we all are really built of the same life force, heartbeat of cosmos.

Can't recommed anything since I've found the experience impossible to replicate on purpose. It's a rare moment that comes unexpected.

Last edited:
Salvia. It was frightening tbh.

I haven't experienced it on any of the classic psychs yet.

I've gone into more detail in the ego-death thread, but the drugs that have assisted me have been DMT, DPT, ayahuasca, salvia, mushrooms, ketamine and 2C-E. And yes, all was lost. And yes, it was wonderful.

It's a bit embarrassing to say so, but my most profound trip so far was when I was first making forays into using drugs. Two massive bottles of Robitussin.

I was feeling terribly sick wanting to throw up, but I knew that doing so always ruined my trip and kept me from reaching the 4th plateau. So, I forced myself to ignore it and I ended up falling asleep. When I awoke, my entire body was buzzing and I felt myself being lifted out of it and having an out of body experience. I remember floating up towards the ceiling and then the room disappeared and I was surrounded by stars. I felt like I was floating on the outer atmosphere of the Earth while gazing deep into space. At that point I completely lost everything about who I was and I felt opened up to the universe.

I just remember everything being washed away and my entire essence being opened up to this cosmic vastness that filled me with wonder, hope, and euphoria at the knowledge that everything was working according to a great design and that it was absolutely perfect.

Pyramedic is right though. It's hard to explain the unexplainable. When you completely lose your ego and are opened up to literally everything, it's just something words don't do justice.

Only LSD has taken me to what I would personally consider ego death - where I was capable of advanced symbolic thought (i.e., able to follow a more or less normal train of thought through to its conclusion rather than being totally overwhelmed) but temporarily lost the notion of an "I" that was active. I can remember the events in retrospect and they don't seem that... Weird, just me walking down a path thinking about ontology - but in the moment, it felt like my whole basic sense of self and other, internal and external, etc. had broken down, not in the sense of a visual OOB experience of anything, just conceptually. I found myself sort of rebuilding from scratch: "Okay, so I'm an I, a distinct subject... and I interact in this external world full of others... "I" is defined by that internal/external divide..." It took me probably a good half hour in this state before I was once again able to interact with the world more or less normally. Toward the end of the event as it was actually happening, the thought struck me that perhaps those who "don't come back the same" from a really intense trip go through something similar but... Screw up while rebuilding? Miss some fundamental piece of their ontology?

It was at once unsettling and immensely valuable as an experience, and while I have had many difficult-to-describe and intense trip peak experiences, none since has been quite like that one. That was on 8 tabs of supposedly 100mcg apiece (probably at least a little less, you know how it goes with tabs these days), so I was probably approaching saturation doses. High dose LSD is an insane but marvelous experience.

The most ego challenging experiences I've had with mushrooms include a trip characterised by physical misery and nausea where I briefly worried I might *actually* be dying and another much more positive peak experience that involved a long period of visuals I could not distinguish between open and closed eye... I can't remember what it looked like visually exactly, not much more than an amorphous blob from what I recall, but I spent probably close to an hour talking (well, mostly being talked to by) my own unconscious. This was very early in my readings of psychoanalysis and was one of the things that convinced me solidly of the theory that psychedelics achieve most of their meaningful content and 'weirdness' by exposing unconscious thoughts to conscious awareness - much like the theory about body sensations that basically says psychedelics cause the brain to read some internal nerve signal as external input, perhaps the same mechanical process is causing various pre-conscious elements of cognition to float to conscious attention when, for example, a peak experience seems to speak to your life events, traumas, current personal crises, etc. directly.

many times on LSD, shrooms, and K but one time I accidentally did a massive dose of DOC i am guessing in the 10mg range if not more.. and I experienced the most profound ego death in my experience.. I felt at one with my surrounding sorta like I was part of thew same fabric as everything material that surrounded me. Visually, it made no diff whether my eyes were open or closed and I saw what my own concept of beauty was which was very pleasant to behold .. at the same time, I had this sinister voice that sorta would pop out and push me to break down further but that drove me nuts cuz I couldn't break it down any further! It was crazy. Complete ego death. Intense shit.

I've experienced full ego death on psilocybin (Panaeolus tropicalis mushrooms specifically) and smoked DMT.

I've experienced partial ego death on LSD as well, and I've witnessed people going through full ego death on LSD.

I think ego death can be a feature of both a spiritual awakening experience and a mystical state. Sometimes they are used interchangeably but I think there is a difference.

Mushrooms have awakened me spiritually and are the most ego-crushing.
LSD has given me partial ego-deaths, mystical states, rebirth and NDE.

Yes I've had ego death on a high dose of LSD and I had ego fragmentation while on 2.0g of shrooms. I've written about the ego death wile on acid on here.

I have experienced it on high doses of LSD, high doses of mushrooms, K-hole levels of ketamine, the first time i did PCP and one extremely intense salvia trip.

oh yeah Salvia 40x extract was def complete ego death but sooo oh not fun.

same.

Last edited:
I may have experienced ego death with 5-MeO-DMT, but it's hard to label that sort of thing; I hardly knew what was going on and it was just too different to really say or integrate.

And I experienced ego loss with 4-AcO-DMT, but not actual EGO DEATH. I'd like to experience that sometime though with a longer-lasting psych than 5-MeO-DMT; somehow, I have reason to believe that it'd be rather helpful or consoling for me.