• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego Death. Who Has Experienced It And On What Drug?

The meaning of "ego death" probably differs from person to person. I've experienced something similar after smoking salvia 25x extract. I was no longer aware of my body, and my thoughts were completely seperated from it. I was in my bedroom, but my thoughts seemed to come from the next room rather than my mind! It was a very weird experience.

That seems to work more with the definition of out of body experience. For salvia that doesn't seem to uncommon. A lot of people include it under the dissociative class, which is very known for inducing OBE.

I'd say for it to be ego death you must not be aware of yourself at all, in or out of your body. Just my belief though.

Bhanga 50% b. capi + 50% clear, white dmt crystal. Total loss of self. No me, nor i.

That seems to work more with the definition of out of body experience. For salvia that doesn't seem to uncommon. A lot of people include it under the dissociative class, which is very known for inducing OBE.

I'd say for it to be ego death you must not be aware of yourself at all, in or out of your body. Just my belief though.

Very good point... I actually agree. I tend to place salvia under the dissociative class more than the psychedelic class, because those are the kind of effects that I usually experience.

My first ego death experience was on a trip consisting of 100mg of 4-ho-met and a capsule of nitrous oxide at the peak. My second and far more shattering ego death experience was with 300 µg LSD-25 and also a capsule of nitrous oxide at the peak. The tricky thing about ego death is that you first realize that you´ve been "dead" exactly in the moment you come back to life. It´s not a blackout it´s just a moment of presence where neither past nor future exist. When I recognized that I´ve been "dead" I breathed in total panic because I thought I´ll never come back to life because probably not just my ego has died but also my body because I didn´t feel anything of myself.

Last edited:
Out of countless trips, I can say that I have only experienced ego death once. It occurred while on LSD.

Mushrooms - the best experience of my life. I cannot begin to imagine what a Salvia induced ego death would be like! Doubt my ego would like it at all :\

The only time I think I really have ever reached ego death is when combining psychedelics with MAOIs, I've gotten there on pharmahuasca and mescaline + MAOI but beyond that I always remain intact, however distant.

IM dissociatives, LSD, and smoked DMT have gotten me close, but never to the experiences I've had on the above.

I have seen the end of the rainbow on LSD and Bromo-Dragonfly. 2CE got me close to that experienc a few times.

I experienced it tonight. I took 1.5 tabs of LSD with my friend and we ended up sitting on my porch just listening to music from a premade list and I lost my ego almost 100%. I became whatever was around me. There was no me, I was able to transcend time and space by staring into the dark sky and dreaming my own existence. I'm still minorly tripping now but the peak effects ended by 12 or so and I was unfortunately hit with my body again in a slowly revealing manner from hour 5 onward. The 2 or 3 hour peak (who knows, there was no time) where I spent the majority of my time being existence itself has changed how I view a lot of things, but really just confirmed what I was already thinking. I saw the interconnectedness of the universe, I am that and so are all of us. Greatest experience of my life.

1/8 of psilocybin mushrooms. wasn't expecting it, wasn't ready for it. horrible set and setting. i was sitting in an apartment i'd lived in for two years with a friend i'd known for ages and had no idea where i was, who the person was that i was with, didn't know who i was, language made almost no sense. it was incredibly confusing and terrifying, but i felt like a million bucks when i came down.

Everyone mentioning Salvia seem to have been scared by it compared to other substances. Is it the complete takeover and loss of your own control?

Salvia was the closest I have ever come to this and as soon as I had a slight realisation of me again I came running back as fast as I could. When I think back to past experiences, for someone who's so unfond of the real world I seem to have clung onto it pretty hard and "wasted" a large percentage of trips.

Salvia is a fun experience but it is also very "deep" and can also leave someone feeling very confused and bewildered in respect to their life.

It definitely isn't for everyone.

I find salvia to be extremly disphoric. I still do it occaisionally because it's just so incredably weird it's worth it to me because it's 5 minute of hell for quite a bit of cool shit to ponder. I've only had ego death on salvia a few times, generally it leave my ego completly intact (I usually think "man I hate this, when will it end?" over and over for about 1/5-1/1 of the experience).

I think ego death is defined as not knowing who you are, and as Terence McKenna put it (paraphrased), not even being able to know who was asking the question or what they're talking about. I consider it to be when "you" cease to exist and all things become one. You can't tell the difference between the pain in your toe and the distance from the sun to the earth and a tree and the ground you're on. It feels strange, for me it's usually happened suddenly. If you're able to recognize it as ego death while it's happening then it's not really ego death I think.

1/8 of psilocybin mushrooms. wasn't expecting it, wasn't ready for it. horrible set and setting. i was sitting in an apartment i'd lived in for two years with a friend i'd known for ages and had no idea where i was, who the person was that i was with, didn't know who i was, language made almost no sense. it was incredibly confusing and terrifying, but i felt like a million bucks when i came down.

Sounds like when I ate 5g of all caps!

Very common top level mushroom experience. Glad to hear you felt better when you came down. :)

If you're able to recognize it as ego death while it's happening then it's not really ego death I think.

No, you can identify it as ego death while you're experiencing it. I just think you'd have to identify with a previous ego death experience. The first time you experience ego death, you are right, you have no idea what it is/what it's all about. You're just trying to hold onto your mind as hard as you can.

CaptainHeroin said:
No, you can identify it as ego death while you're experiencing it. I just think you'd have to identify with a previous ego death experience. The first time you experience ego death, you are right, you have no idea what it is/what it's all about. You're just trying to hold onto your mind as hard as you can.
Yeah, not being aware of the ego at all is more like delirium. The term "ego death" is problematic because the two words that comprise it are so loaded with differing interpretations. My experience of ego death has always been the same despite what drug I use to experience it. It is a sense of disengagement with the self-structure as the source and locus of control of experience, and it's marked by a shocking lucidity, rather than senselessness (even though "senselessness" could conceivably fit the terms as well). The first time it happened I heard myself saying "This is it!" "That was it!" but my internal monologue seemed broadcast from an external source, a mere pattern inseparable from the rest of my perceptions. "I" was intact and operational, but not engaged in awareness. There are other states that can easily be construed as ego death because of the broad meanings of the terms, but the experience called "ego death" that is the most consistent between trips and between users is the one described below.

From the interesting and slightly quirky site, egodeath.com:
Ego is not entirely false. To say that "ego dies" really means, more precisely, that the cognitive structure labelled 'ego', and the egoic mental model of the world, are systematically re-conceived, just like the components of Newtonian physics were systematically re-conceived to form the new system of Einsteinian physics. Ego death means that the mind no longer centrally identifies with the ego. The locus of control or origin of control is no longer seriously taken to be the ego.

Last edited:
i have experienced ego death on shrooms every time i took a high dose (3-4g+). i also experienced ego death my first two times taking acid. thankfully i was blessed to have amazing acid for my first times. the world would just burst into infinite everything. infinite time, infinite depth, infinite color, my senses were crossed for hours. all of my thoughts and senses were expressed in visuals, so everything i touched, smelled, tasted, thought of, created intense visuals. this was all off half a hit of some fire. the tabs had little condom guys on it. pretty similar to the ones on erowid. for me when i experience ego death, its usually only for a short amount of time, but i lose my sense of self, have no idea who i am, where i am, why i am, how i am, what i am. its fuckin nuts... 8o

it is really a brilliant experience for those who's seeking that state. ego death is not for everyone, it is unique and sometimes frightening. just pure perception, loss of self and getting in a whole state with all the existence... a night to remember for all my life. i was on 3 mg of DOC. it was my first time with DOC =)