• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Least Toxic, Most Effective, Most Concealable Alcohol?

So, not to be off topic, but based on what you said, nicotinic acid amide can be used for hangovers?

I don't know that anything is more than marginally effective for hangover. Even if there were such an antidote, and you wouldn't have to ration cellular respiration, clearance of the aldehyde is still going to be sluggish. So then the carbonyl lingers in large quantities and is prone to nucleophilic attack and can become covalently bonded to tissue. Also, it induces enzymes that generate reactive oxidative species as byproducts.

Not to mention the fact that CYP2E1 oxidizes ethanol in the brain. This is bad because the byproduct of this conversion is peroxide. Look at the figures at the end of this paper:

Mechanism of alcohol-induced oxidative stress and neuronal
injury

Jesus I can't believe how resourceful the human body is at staying alive from all these insaine polutants we use.

What made you say this?

Sorry, is that sarcasm because I made a speculation that had been automatically deemed redundant by all the other posters due to its obviousness, or is that genuine curiousity? I'm not trying to be an asshole I just can't discern the intent of your question...

Right, but it still appears to be a tertiary carbinol....

220px-Meparfynol.svg.png

If you get a hangover from alcohol then its obviously pretty damn toxic to you.
However if you dont get a hangover then its not too bad.

Yeah, it's only more toxic in terms of CNS depression.
I'm guessing since it is easier to O.D. on.

Emylcamate is still my pick to be one of the big new RC drugs. I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up as big as mephedrone. certainly safer.

Hi All,
Very interesting discussion! It’s motivated me to have a comparative look. Below is a list of 17 alcohols with an indicator of their toxicities, their LD50 oral, rat. 1 of these alcohols was taken from www.jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/115/2/230.abstract, some others from www.toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/49/1/133.pdf and the remainder, ones already in suggested in this thread and other similar alcohols on this board. Better of all would be some sort of index of intoxication, which is not only hard information to come by, but also a bit of a vague parameter. I’ll talk about this at the end. As a comparator, ethanol is around 7g/kg but some studies indicate around 10g/kg, methanol is listed as 5.6g/kg (I always thought methanol was 5 times as toxic as ethanol, go figure!)

1) 1-propanol 8g/kg
2) isopropanol 4.4g/kg
3) 1-butanol 4.3g/kg
4) 1-pentanol 2.2g/kg
5) 1-hexanol 0.72g/kg [another study says 3.1-4.9g/kg]
6) 1-heptanol 3.25g/kg
7) 1-octanol 3.2g/kg

8) 2-methyl 2-butanol 1g/kg
9) 3-methyl 3-pentanol 0.71g/kg
10)2-methyl 2-propanol 3.5g/kg (tert-butanol)

11)2-methyl 2-propen-1-ol no oral data
12)2-methyl 3-buten-2-ol 1.8g/kg
13)3-methyl 2-buten-1-ol 0.81g/kg
14)2-methylbut-3-yn-2-ol 1.95g/kg (3-methyl butynol)
15)3-methyl 1-pentyn-3-ol 0.3g/kg

16)1-ethynyl cyclohexanol 0.585g/kg
17)2-phenyl 2-butanol 1.4g/kg

Now the only data I can find regarding intoxication volume-for-volume parameters is roughly this:

1-propanol ~2-4 times
isopropanol ~2.5 times
1-butanol ~9 times
2-methyl 2-butanol ~17 times
1-ethynyl cyclohexanol ~50 times (based on bluelight reports)

which results in an intoxication-toxic (compared to ethanol 10g/kg) index of

2.4 for 1-propanol
1.1 for isopropanol
3.8 for 1-butanol
1.7 for 2-methyl 2-butanol
2.9 for 1-ethynyl cyclohexanol

making so far, 1-butanol, 1-propanol and 1-ethynyl cyclohexanol clearly more preferable than ethanol to consume. Whether or not the LD50 oral, rat is the best parameter against which to judge toxicity is a major question here. For instance, the ratio indicates that isopropanol is about equal to ethanol. Somehow that’s not convincing enough for me to make a regular switch. There needs to be some sort of consideration of long term non-fatal consumptive effects for this.

Access to intoxicative indicators [or membrane/buffer partition quotients] would be more available had I access to many journal articles. Please contact me with any information you can source and I will update the intoxicative parameters and intoxication-toxic ratios. Can anyone confirm the preferability of 1-propanol? It seems that 1-propanol is metabolized to propaldehyde -> proprionic acid, which looks like pretty nasty stuff to me. If you have a look at the second link I posted above, there’s quite a few measurements of liver activity and so forth linked to a lot of these alcohols that give you more of a picture as to what’s going on. Someone mentioned 1-pentanol as significantly stronger than 1-butanol, for instance, but check out the liver-enzyme stats for pentanol vs. butanol. I know which I'd prefer - pentanol seems to have strange effects on liver O2 consumption, something else quite different is going on here.

Last edited:
I must also point out that I have discovered 1-ethynylcyclohexanol to be an extremely powerful self-catalyzed "suicide" destructor of cytochrome p450, so you're in the absolute sh*t if you happen to be co-ingesting it with nearly anything else. Looking more and more nasty...so far 2M2B has my bets.

see http://www.pnas.org/content/76/2/746.full.pdf

I know this is obvious, but the OP might have the worst plan for maintenance medication ever conceived. . . ;)

ebola

At least it'll probably be better then ethanol.. though I highly doubt it will make a big difference

OT: Too bad I stopped using drugs because this stuff is mighty interesting. keep up the good work guys!..

I have found this great definition in (of course) the Oxford English Dictionary ;)

2-Methyl-2-Butanonol
2-Me-thyl-2-bu-ta-nol   [too-meh-thil-too-bew-tah-nohl]
–noun
Also called amylene hydrate, 2M2B, Dimethylethylcarbinol, to-mix-to-be-fuckedup, Liquid Panty Remover, supahbeer, secret sambuca. a colorless, limpid, volatile, flammable, water-miscible liquid, C5H12O, having a peppermint like odor and pungent, burning taste, the intoxicating principle of fermented liquors, produced by yeast fermentation of certain carbohydrates, for example grains or obtained synthetically: used chiefly in beverages by adventurous bluelighters, maintenance therapy for helpless drunks, organic synthesis, as an ice queen antifreeze, .Compare ethyl alcohol, methyl alcohol.

2M2B, the cause of, and solution to all life's problems.

Last edited: