• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extracting fentanyl from polymer-matrix patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
i posted information like this also awhile ago and deleted/asked for it to be closed. i agree with six. this kind of information should be given out on a person by person basis. you have no idea what kind of 14 yr old idiot is reading this

Well that is just positively no fun! Though I pretty much agree with what you are saying and looking back; this probably should be something where it would be given out on a PM request basis if necessary I suppose if a thread proliferates about including fentanyl in the OP and discussion takes off I guess, but I have never seen any of those that has been suitable for a frontpage-ing and are exclusive to fentanyl that wasn't just a simple open-answer-close type dealing with simple questions that usually are best in basic drug discussion compared to OD. Hopefully the mods wont slam down on you with something akin to how I mentioned how laughable that this could even be close to harm reduction for the vast majority of people that pop in and go "fentanyl.... for real, I can have it all at once without a gel system! JEE WIS!" and then 2 days later you have another account closed by someone that notifies bluelight about the status and how could we possibly tell him/her how to maximize the way to use drugs in a safe way! I can see where this goes, hopefully someone has an open mind. :!

Right on, well written Oxymorphone.

Seconded (for the second time) because I can and its so awsome for someone like me who would have been much better off with something like this about 3 years ago before my opiate tolerance went sky-high and dependency set in. Oh my.... miss those first couple glowing experiences like a lost limb. vOv No way to grab it now!

Last edited:
i posted information like this also awhile ago and deleted/asked for it to be closed. i agree with six. this kind of information should be given out on a person by person basis. you have no idea what kind of 14 yr old idiot is reading this

If the 14 year old idiot has access to fentanyl patches and is reading this thread, chances are he has already decided to use them. At least with this information available there is a chance he will do it in the safest possible way. I understand everyone's concern about encouraging people to use an opiate that has killed a lot of people. OTOH, I doubt very much that anyone with two functioning brain cells to rub together is going to read this and think "Gee, I never considered shooting fentanyl before - but now that I've seen this I'm going to run down to the drugstore and pick up some syringes!"

Gel patch extraction thoughts and ideas...

^Thank you to everyone who appreciates this thread and for the compliments! I'm really glad my time developing this method more importantly typing everything out here is not in vain and can help others.

I have a decent idea of how a similar extraction could be done with the gel patches. I read over that journal article abstract again and found some interesting stuff. I'm just going to post the entire abstract since it is all interesting and underline the key points of where I see potential for gel patch extraction. I recommend reading it all.

Abstract

The method development and validation characteristics are described of a simple gas chromatographic–mass spectrometric (GC–MS) analytical procedure to determine residual fentanyl in used Durogesic® reservoir patches and Durogesic® D-Trans® matrix technology based systems to estimate the actual rate of transdermal fentanyl delivered in individual patients. The sample preparation protocol constituting a saline based extraction of sets of new patches of each nominal dose available, resulted in fentanyl extraction recoveries to increase steadily as a function of increasing extraction time. For the reservoir type transdermal therapeutic system (TTS), fentanyl extraction efficiencies at equilibrium (16 h) ranged from approximately 60% (100-μg/h TTS) to 95% (25-μg/h TTS), whereas for the matrix type system considerable lower recoveries were demonstrated for the highest nominal dose rates (35%–52%), while reaching 90% for the 25-μg/h system. For the latter type of fentanyl TTS, an optimized methanol based extraction protocol yielded virtually quantitative fentanyl recoveries for each matrix patch nominal dose level at substantially shorter extraction periods (15 min). The GC–MS analytical method using selected ion monitoring (SIM) and deuterated fentanyl as internal standard was shown to be adequately selective with regard to the presence of other compounds in the Durogesic® patches. It was further demonstrated that the developed analytical protocols provided highly reproducible and accurate estimates of the initial fentanyl content of each patch type at all available nominal doses, with coefficients of variation and relative errors generally below 10%. These advantageous assay validation characteristics can be further transposed to the application of residual fentanyl level estimates in used patches, provided that with each batch of samples also a set of new TTSs with equal dose is assayed to perfectly mimic extraction phenomena. Finally, the presented GC–MS analytical protocol was successfully applied for the determination of residual fentanyl in a subset of 57 reservoir type patches obtained from four palliative patients.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic of how to potentially extract fentanyl from gel reservoir patches using a similar technique as above

Disclaimer: The following is all educated conjecture about how fentanyl could be extracted from gel patches. I have not done it and if you attempt this use more caution than ever and please do it for experimentation purposes to find a safe procedure for extraction that yields an accurate solution for dosing fentanyl. Attempt this in the name of harm reduction and the future benefit of everyone and please don't hurt yourself. Do not attempt any gel extraction methods if you are just looking for a quick way to recklessly get high and abuse some patches you have sitting around. This has not been attempted or verified safe yet. Onwards...

In the study they basically first extracted the gel reservoir patches by letting them sit in a saline solution and the longer they were in the solution the more fentanyl was recovered. It also goes on to say saline wasn't effective for the matrix patches whereas an alcohol extraction yielded nearly complete extraction of fentanyl hence the process I described.

Now first let me say I have never seen a gel patch in person let alone used one or attempted extraction. My main concern and potential problem I see is isolating and not getting any of the gel into the final extraction. From what i read above it sounds like they just dropped unaltered gel patches in saline solution and were able to extract a significant amount of fentanyl. It doesn't say if anything else from the gel leaked into the extraction or if it was purely the fentanyl. I would think that if you don't alter the transdermal delivery mechanism or alter the patch at all then by letting it sit in the saline the fentanyl would be extracted leaving the inert gel with minimal leftover fentanyl inside the reservoir just as it works when you wear them.

I can't be sure if and what else would be extracted from the gel in the saline from this method. For that reason I would not advise any IV use from gel patches until there is more information, research, and experimenting from experienced bluelighters about what else actually gets extracted and if it is harmful and can be filtered out through a micron or other methods.

So basically you would soak a non tampered with patch (aside from removing any protective film) in saline solution and let it sit. After letting it sit for several hours I would expect there could be 80% or more fentanyl extraction, perhaps 90%+ which would make it easy to adapt the matrix solution prepping/dosing method for gel patches. After soaking it for a while you would remove the patch and evaporate the saline. This would leave behind some salt that probably can't be filtered out but it shouldn't be a major problem. I would not apply any heat while soaking the patches in saline since I wouldn't want to increase the chance of other/more stuff from the gel being extracted.

Now evaporate the saline solution. After you have the fentanyl, salt, and whatever else came out of the patch residue, follow the same procedure I outlined for creating an accurate dosing solution. If the extraction can get up to 90%+ efficient then dosing should be nearly the same, perhaps the actual dose is slightly lower here but as always it is safer to overestimate.. I would strongly advocate more filtering with the gel patches and using a micron since there is the potential for there to be a lot more crap than with the polymer patches. It also might not be as big of a concern since I would definitely advise not attempting to IV the extraction from these but it can never hurt to have a more pure solution. With plugging, intranasal, and sublingual methods it should be less of an issue. That's it for now. :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a related topic I've been thinking about. the only part of my original process for preparing the end solution I think could be changed is using vodka and the amount of vodka. I am thinking you could use 2 ml or 1ml of vodka then 2 or 3ml of sterile water to get a final 4ml solution without losing any of the benefits of ethanol keeping the solution sterile at 20% or 10%. It would definitely be more pleasant to take with all ROAs and require less dilution. I will probably edit this into my original post.

I should also mention it is important to keep the solution in a small sealed container so nothing evaporates which would change the concentration of the solution potentially making it more concentrated over time leading to higher than expected dosing which could be dangerous. That is why I really like and recommend the small 4-5ml sealed vials with rubber tops for inserting needles while still keeping everything sealed.

Last edited:
look i understand where a bunch of you guys are coming from. yes a bunch of people are on here could handle themselves with a extraction method. yes you guys do deserve to know the most effective/cost effective way to abuse whatever you want safely. the information is out there. you can findd it with some digging/asking around.

i just dont feel this kind of information should be blasted across the front page/given to everyone. i cant imagine the amount of stupid uneducated kids read this forum. the countless "am i going to be ok?" and "is it ok if i take _____, _____, and ______?" threads we get every day just proves that. look at how many guests view this forum guys. it really concerns me

sorry if i rained on yalls party. i just dont want to see people get burnt.

yes you guys do deserve to know the most effective/cost effective way to abuse whatever you want safely.

Redacted down to a format I would call "just the fav's" ....and those people are about 80% of us looking at this and at all willing to break it down and work it out to fruition.

At least I hope so; bluelighters are great when they need to give advice, not so great about taking it themselves!

look i understand where a bunch of you guys are coming from. yes a bunch of people are on here could handle themselves with a extraction method. yes you guys do deserve to know the most effective/cost effective way to abuse whatever you want safely. the information is out there. you can findd it with some digging/asking around.

i just dont feel this kind of information should be blasted across the front page/given to everyone. i cant imagine the amount of stupid uneducated kids read this forum. the countless "am i going to be ok?" and "is it ok if i take _____, _____, and ______?" threads we get every day just proves that. look at how many guests view this forum guys. it really concerns me

sorry if i rained on yalls party. i just dont want to see people get burnt.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as 100% Harm Reduction. Any time you post something that helps 10 people use fentanyl safely you run the risk of an 11th person using the information and dying from it. If you post info about micron filters, you might convince someone he's finally found a safe way to shoot up OxyContin, and lead him to doing something he might not have done otherwise.

Since I'm a writer by trade, I tend to err on the direction of making too much information available. But you can definitely make a case for avoiding some topics altogether. I've seen threads on inhalant abuse locked, for example, because the mods decided there was no safer way to abuse paint, glue, etc. and figured it was better to stop the discussion than give someone the idea there was. A lot of people might argue there's no safer way to use fentanyl or crystal meth, and they wouldn't be entirely wrong.

SmokeTrails- I see your concern and hope most of it is answered/eased through our PM convo. If more people have the same feelings it might be helpful to post some of my responses to you since it breaks it down well but shouldn't be necessary. Cloud 9 and Kenaz said it pretty well.

we have two completely different schools of thought on the subject. we can agree to disagree on this. i just had to voice my opinion on it is all. you kids have fun and be safe ;)

^Thanks for sharing, it's good that you're so concerned about harm reduction. This is a tricky subject, for sure.

Let's get this thread back on topic. :) Thanks for posting, oxy.

Oxymorphone, can you please clear up the conflict between these two parts:
In this thread I will outline in detail methods to extract fentanyl from the newer more popular polymer matrix patches to create a solution that allows for accurate dosing for use with multiple ROAs which are all safer than traditional methods of fentanyl consumption.
...and this:
The safest way to use any fentanyl patch is to wear it transdermally as indicated. You can apply heat or take a hot bath to speed up the release if desired. You still need to be careful and opiate tolerant when using fentanyl in any way.

This thread is good for those who are debating extracting the fentanyl from these patches, but we don't want it to appear that we are saying that extracting the fentanyl is the safest way to use the patches recreationally. You addressed this in the second part I quoted, but the first part should clarify this distinction as well.
Thanks.

Last edited:
^Sorry if that's unclear. By traditional methods I meant the most common ways people abuse fentanyl other than transdermally. I meant it is safer than smoking, eating, or injecting unknown amounts of gel.

^Yes, absolutely. Thanks for clearing it up, can you please reflect that in your original post?

ok... so now that i know this is not going to get locked... which i dont agree with...

http://www.tmci.org/opioid/sept06docs/BIANCHI.pdf

there are a bunch of other studies if anyone actually bothered to look for them... but you probably will not.

heat is not needed. after an hour at room temp your basicly going to get everything you can. anything past that is spliting hairs... hell anything past 30 min is basicly spliting hairs.

god save me. *post*

^interesting, tells us basically what we already know from the other article. At room temp with iso or liquor there is a significant enough difference where two hours is worth it. If you bother to get and use methanol then a half hour would be perfect but it isn't commonly available. As for the curve with iso, the extra time is definitely worth it and by adding heat you can get the 85% range closer to 99%, plus it is very easy if you are going to use a double boiler anyway to evaporate it that there's really no reason not to heat.

I would still like to see a good method for efficient gel patch extraction. That clearly shows alcohol is ineffective on them while the first study indicated saline solution was very effective at room temp and I would like to see more statistics and info on that so a similar method can be developed.

how long do you think it would take for 90% alcohol and heat to start to dissolve the plastic part of the patch? is that even a possibility? i think it would be but im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.