• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extracting fentanyl from polymer-matrix patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big work Oxymorphone but is not simpler to buy a fent or fent analogue in a safe source instead using money in patches and then to have to perform the extraction too?

Buzz is probably talking about simply boiling a patch in a spoon with water and sucking it up.

Admitted I didn't read the whole thread, but i extraction really that important for oral/sublingual? I got the 50mcg/h patches last week and eat a whole one (cut up in little pieces so I hope it won't cling in my stomach) but nothing happened. That's a good 8mg of fent for a tiny girl with only a few months of opi use, I expected a whole patch would be fatal.

Admitted I didn't read the whole thread, but i extraction really that important for oral/sublingual? I got the 50mcg/h patches last week and eat a whole one (cut up in little pieces so I hope it won't cling in my stomach) but nothing happened. That's a good 8mg of fent for a tiny girl with only a few months of opi use, I expected a whole patch would be fatal.

If you're suicidal please talk to someone and maybe check out The Dark Side http://bluelight.org/vb/forums/47-The-Dark-Side

Fentanyl Transdermal - High tolerance, first time

Hi all,

long time lurker, first time poster. Will start off by thanking all of you for years of solid advice, BL is always my first choice for research and I will be donating accordingly.

There are a lot of threads regarding the transdermal fent patches but I couldn't find anything regarding breakthrough pain.

I am prescribed 400mg oral ER morhpine (over 24 hrs) Mon - Fri, and 300mg IR Oxycodon capsules Sat + Sun. In reality I take 3-4x 120mg doses of the Oxy daily on weekends as I buy additional outside of my script (360mg - 480mg total). I have been on this schedule for approx. 3 months, prior to that I have been on higher doses of morphine ER only (started at 580mg/24hrs) and have been working downwards for around 4 months and prior to that using approx. 200-300mg oxycodon for 3 months.

I managed to get my hands on 4x 50mcg/hr plastic matrix fentanyl patches (non gel) outside of my doctors prescription. I intend to use them exactly as designed, transdermally. There is a lot of info surrounding dosing, for which the general consensus would be to start on 25mcg/hr and work upwards - however I have done multiple conversions basis my daily dosages of morhpine/oxycodon and they came up with a starting dose of 100mcg - 150mcg/hr. I therefore assume it is safe to start on a 50mcg/hr patch, any thoughts here?

My second question is regarding dosing oxycodon until the patch kicks in. Again, general consensus from searching here is that it takes 8-12hrs before the proper effects of the patch can be felt. I wanted to start the patch in the early morning today (around 7am) but after 2 hours of it on I realised my WD was going to be too rough till I got to this mark (especially as from the conversions it looks like I will have work up to min 100mcg/hr), I have therefore taken off the patch and dosed 100mg Oxy. I have read many places that fent patches are usually prescribed in tandem with short acting meds for breakthrough pain, I want to know if it is basically safe for me to put the patch back in the same place after the oxy dose I have just taken (which is 20mg less than my usual).

obviously I know everyone's body reacts differently, I am just looking for a conservative safe standard. Also I am aware that the fent patch will be far less euphoric than my oxy doses however I can save a whole weekends medication by performing the above - it is in my case essentially intended to be used as a maintenance for 3 days to save my script.

sorry for the long text, just wanted to give a clear picture with all the background info.

sorry to push, I know it is poor form, but I only have a limited window whereby I can still perform this safely today (I don't want to be sleeping prior to the effects fully kicking in).

1) would 50mcg/hr would be safe given the tolerance I have outlined.
2) would it be safe to take oxy upon putting the patch on. Hopefully a decent dose there should just about keep me from WD until the 8 hour mark.

You'll be fine,

I was on 5 60mgs oxycontin a day with 6 20mgs oxycodone for breakthrough.
I was on 100mcg patch and 2 oxycontin, 1 every 12 hr and the oxycodone for breakthrough in place of the 5 60mgs oxycontin a day with 6 20mgs oxycodone. If you feel its to much rip off the patch, this is what the doctor told me.

thanks, i anyhow put it on 1 hr ago. i did hear that basically it would be too late to rip it off when it feels too much due to the way the patch works, however looking at a dosage calculator it is clear i should be ok with 50mcg/hr or more likely that i wont even feel it.

quick update, not that many people seem interested but perhaps it can serve as a reference to someone searching in the future.

I woke up at 5:45am to slap the patch on my chest, I thought I would have to dose oxy when I woke up (around 8am usually) to avoid morning WD however this was not the case, It is 4hrs later and whilst I don't feel opiated the patch is definitely working to keep the WD at bay - which was what I intended it to do. I have a slight background feeling that the patch is growing in stature - I will update later.

Ideally I wanted to put the patch on at like 2am in order for it to be working well when I woke up and also that I would be OK for the subsequent nights sleep (some say you can't really assess the patch until the 24hr mark). I was too scared to do this however as I was not sure how my body would react and didn't want to be asleep whilst it started to take ahold. I will only be able to save a small amount of my weekend medicine as i put it on on Sunday morning, however this will serve as an experiment for the subsequent weekend whereby I will try and save all my oxy (I still have 2 patches left - I wasted one being a pussy on Saturday morning and ripping it off).

It looks like one 50mcg/hr patch will be enough (hopefully not TOO MUCH) for its desired purpose at this point. My GF will be with me as of the T+12-13hr mark today whom I will task with watching me. Just as I said this, I realised she is going to want to cuddle before we go to bed = heat = accelerated absorption. hmmmnnn.... need to find a way around this unless I want more out of the patch at that stage.

If you remove a patch, do not throw it away, it can be reattached and continue to work.

Yes "heat accelerated absorption" but cuddling will have no effect so cuddle away.

im getting nothing out of it except not getting any real WD, although I just got the sort of hot flushing sensation that is usually the start of withdrawal for me over the last few hours.

I am going to go at it with a hairdryer now and then attach half or both halves of the patch I took off but but in a jar the other night in the early hours of the morning.

Back to my original question, sort of, given my current effects (i.e. nothing other than not full blown WDing) can I dose oxy as a patient would for breakthrough pain. I was thinking around 80mg IR - I usually take 120mg.

EDIT... FYI it has been 12 hours since I put it on.

Last edited:
If you remove a patch, do not throw it away, it can be reattached and continue to work.

Even if it no longer sticks? I use the gel patches but have a really hard time getting them to stick even with tape or Targamet patches because of constant perspiration.

I always wondered if the glue makes it 'work'.

Has anyone consumed it orally and added anything to poentiate it? Like grapefruit?

Hi all,

long time lurker, first time poster. Will start off by thanking all of you for years of solid advice, BL is always my first choice for research and I will be donating accordingly.

There are a lot of threads regarding the transdermal fent patches but I couldn't find anything regarding breakthrough pain.

I am prescribed 400mg oral ER morhpine (over 24 hrs) Mon - Fri, and 300mg IR Oxycodon capsules Sat + Sun. In reality I take 3-4x 120mg doses of the Oxy daily on weekends as I buy additional outside of my script (360mg - 480mg total). I have been on this schedule for approx. 3 months, prior to that I have been on higher doses of morphine ER only (started at 580mg/24hrs) and have been working downwards for around 4 months and prior to that using approx. 200-300mg oxycodon for 3 months.

I managed to get my hands on 4x 50mcg/hr plastic matrix fentanyl patches (non gel) outside of my doctors prescription. I intend to use them exactly as designed, transdermally. There is a lot of info surrounding dosing, for which the general consensus would be to start on 25mcg/hr and work upwards - however I have done multiple conversions basis my daily dosages of morhpine/oxycodon and they came up with a starting dose of 100mcg - 150mcg/hr. I therefore assume it is safe to start on a 50mcg/hr patch, any thoughts here?

My second question is regarding dosing oxycodon until the patch kicks in. Again, general consensus from searching here is that it takes 8-12hrs before the proper effects of the patch can be felt. I wanted to start the patch in the early morning today (around 7am) but after 2 hours of it on I realised my WD was going to be too rough till I got to this mark (especially as from the conversions it looks like I will have work up to min 100mcg/hr), I have therefore taken off the patch and dosed 100mg Oxy. I have read many places that fent patches are usually prescribed in tandem with short acting meds for breakthrough pain, I want to know if it is basically safe for me to put the patch back in the same place after the oxy dose I have just taken (which is 20mg less than my usual).

obviously I know everyone's body reacts differently, I am just looking for a conservative safe standard. Also I am aware that the fent patch will be far less euphoric than my oxy doses however I can save a whole weekends medication by performing the above - it is in my case essentially intended to be used as a maintenance for 3 days to save my script.

sorry for the long text, just wanted to give a clear picture with all the background info.

A 50mcg patch is equivalent to 120mg oral morphine so I assume with what you're already on you could start with that....just sont take the morphine on top of wearing the patch.

So i have a question and dont know how to start a thread so ill ask here. Ive been sucking on the fentanyl patches and want to know if i take one out and the lettering and numbers can still be seen i assumong that means there still some left on the patch. What i need to know if so can i take it out and store and suck on it the next day and it still be food or does it go bad and if i can whats the best way to store unril the next day. Thanks

So i have a question and dont know how to start a thread so ill ask here. Ive been sucking on the fentanyl patches and want to know if i take one out and the lettering and numbers can still be seen i assumong that means there still some left on the patch. What i need to know if so can i take it out and store and suck on it the next day and it still be food or does it go bad and if i can whats the best way to store unril the next day. Thanks
are you kidding? I know so many people that died from doing that,, it's no joke

Status
Not open for further replies.