• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extracting fentanyl from polymer-matrix patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried an extraction on approximately a quarter of a 75mcg/h patch yesterday to no avail, and was hoping I could get some help or suggestions as to why it didn’t work and what I should do differently to get better results.

Here is what I did:

Cut a quarter of a 75mcg/h patch in half (not sure exactly which brand as it was given to me with out original packaging, but it was not a gel version).

Put the two half’s into a standard cooker one would receive from the exchange and filled it almost to the top with 91% ipa.

Let sit for about 1.5 hours stirring the pieces occasionally.

Put a pot of water on the stove with a flat round pan on top (to create a double boiler type situation) and placed the cooker on top and turned the stove on low.

With the exhaust fan running I let the ipa evaporate and added a little more when about ¾ of the ipa was gone. It took about an hour or so stirring occasionally for 90% of the ipa to evaporate.

I removed it from the stove and placed it under a ceiling fan for another hour to evaporate the remaining ipa.

I then added 4 ml of water stirred it up and pulled about 30 units into a new rig. Added another 50 units of water to the rig and shook it up.

I tied off, registered, pulled the tie and slowly pushed about 20 units at a time waiting about 60 seconds or so between each push to make sure I was not overdoing it. After finishing all 80 units I didn’t feel anything. I repeated this process with the rest of the water in the cooker and never got the slightest feeling at all.

Now here is what I think went wrong. When all was said and done there was a bunch of glue like stuff along with the two plastic pieces of the patch left in the bottom of the cooker. I am guessing that when I soaked the pieces of the patch in the ipa the fent went into the ipa, but then when I evaporated all of the ipa the fent just re-infused back into the glue. Does this make since? I am thinking now that this is why the OP suggested removing the glue/backing before evaporating the ipa. Since according to what I have read here a very large percentage of the fent is extracted within an hour of soaking in the ipa the patch can and should be removed along with the glue before evaporating the ipa.

Does this make since? Can anyone tell me what they think may have gone wrong or give me any suggestions so that I do not waist any more?

Since the thead has been bumped can any one take a look at my procedure above and tell me what I might be doing wrong? I tried again using the same method except I just put the patch in the ipa left in in for an hour and pulled it out without messing with the adhesive layer at all. I also used a small amount of vodka along with water after the IPA evaporated but again had no luck. That was my last piece of patch but shoudl be getting more in the future and would like to be able to extract properly.

By the way thanks for the very usefull link andghosts, I didnt read the whole think but just from looking at their pic of the matrix patch it does seem to show that the fent is actually in the plastic and not in the adhesive backing. Maybe the key is removing the adhesive completely and trying the extraction that way as my problem seems to be that I am always left with a sticky residue which I am asuming is from the backing desolving in the ipa then being deposited when the ipa is gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

ONandOFF

Okay, save yourself the trouble in extracting and do as I do (for IV):

What you need:
Standard injection equipment (two syringes)
White vinegar

Cut yourself a suitable sized patch (I get 3-4 sized pieces from a 100mg patch)
Place your piece on your cooker (standard spoon, not those undersized aluminum dishes they fetch at the exchange)
Fill your spoon with 2 parts sterile water and 1 part white vinegar (make sure patch is covered - it will float, this is okay)
Place one of the syringes in your mouth (plunger-side in), hold the patch down in the spoon with the needle point
Cook (it will sizzle, hold it down significantly longer than your average cook to ensure the best yield)
Toss your cotton in, load up and enjoy (I leave the patch in while I do this - seconds may or may not be available depending on cook time)

Happy nodding.

Last edited:
Can you make this extraction easier for me?

Can you make this in a step by step thread? I'm a horrible reader when it comes to long directions! I just want to extract the patch for IV use safely

I don't think there is a safe way to IV fentanyl patches, you're taking a big risk every time.

can citric acid be used to extract fent from the mylan kind like it works with the duragesic kind? that alcohol method looks way involved.

I noticed there was quite a few failed attempts at this extraction (and was almost dissuaded from trying the process). So for the sake of any curious fellow bluelighters thought I'd report my success with three used 75 mylans cooked in 91% ISP heated for roughly an hour. There doesn't seem to be any need for removal of the glue. In fact i figure that leaving it spread on the plastic as opposed to balled up in the solution increases the surface area:volume. I absorbed the final fentanyl salt into about 3ml of tequila (tastier for the nose holes?) and diluted with about 9ml of distilled water. Im not sure about the efficacy of my endeavor but my resulting glue after the trial was totally odorless and I got nice and dopey on my high tolerance with very little juice (~2.5ml?) without having a very offensive flavor.

Best of luck, be safe, and get high :).

Edit: btw people not getting results all seem to be trying to use only water for the absorption of the fent salt. Im fairly certain you need a solvent in order to effectively pick up the fent (ie. alcohol (dont shoot ISP alc its a necrotic and kills tissue), or vinegar, or... I think lemon juice?), it seems all the successful users have this step in there. Hope it helps.
Btw anybody got any details on just using a tiny cotton ball instead of OPs fancy micron filter or cotton filled barrel (whatever kinda crazy contraption that is). Also people keep saying one drop can be huge where another is piddly. Any evidence to say I can depend on the consistency of two separate injections from the same batch? Could my alch and water separate and gimmie a huge dose if Im not careful (should i just shoot straight liquor)?
Just trying to be safe and eliminate any fuckups somebody could make in the process.

Last edited:
Mylan extraction -BE CAREFUL!

Fentanyl can very easily kill a "chipper" or occasional opioid user - But can just as easily kill an experienced user who over estimates their tolerance or underestimates the power of this substance. Most fentanyl fatalities are probably not new to shooting dope. It only takes one mistake and you don't get another chance... IV fentanyl should only be considered by chronic, daily opiod users but that's not to say that people have not been killed via other routes of administration. Be extremely careful & never mix fentanyl with methadone and never-ever with xanex or similar drugs.
Another note on the powerful nature of fentanyl: this is the shit that the russians unleashed on a group of islamic terrorists holding 850 hostages in a theater wired with explosives. They pumped a gas containing fentanyl into the ventilation system, killing 129 hostages (all but a few were killed by the gas) and a bunch of terrorists.

Hello again -It's been a year or so since my last post regarding the Mylan patches. Had been getting the real duragesic (not the old gel type with nasty hydoxycellulous crap used to make paint thicken) but the flat patch. A simple acid base extraction with citric acid worked well. Then the pharmacy switched to Sandoz (exactly the same as Duragesic now, flat- non-gel patch) & was able to use the same method explained below. Now they are selling the Mylans around here -although I had to request them because they normally stock watson gels.
The Mylans work well with the acid base extraction too but have only 10mg rather than 15 in the name brand or Sandoz.

BEFORE THE MYLAN EXTRACTION METHOD, I MUST ADD THAT I KNOW OF TWO PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED FROOM FENTANYL. ONE WAS A CLOSE FRIEND WHO CHOSE TO MIX IV FENT WITH XANEX AND MORPHINE AND THE OTHER WAS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND. BOTH DEAD! FENTANYL IS 100X STRONGER THAN HEROIN OR MORPHINE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED WITHOUT EXTREME CAUTION AND A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF SIMPLE MATHEMATICS! (DILUTE 1MG=100MG OF MORPHINE) A 100MCG PER HR MYLAN PATCH CONTAINING 10MG OF FENTANY IS EQUAL TO ABOUT FOUR GRAMS OF STREET HERION @ 25%.
DON'T SHOOT MORE THAN 1/10TH OF A 100MCG/HR PATCH MAXIMUM TO START! THE ADVISE TO PUSH A LITTLE IN AND WAIT IS NOT A GOOD PLAN SINCE THE ONSET CAN BE 30 SECONDS OR MORE (YOU CAN GO SLOW AND STILL DIE).
LAST: DON'T DO IT ALONE!

Start with about 15ml steril water in a vessel (a round bottom coffee scoop and mini tripod to hold it works really well)
Add a very small amount of citric acid -like 1/20th of a gram
bring to a boil and drop 1/4 of a 100mcg/hr patch (Mylan) on top with adhesive side down.
continue to boil moderately with a burner of your choice (a bunsen burner with methanol works well -denatured alcohol)
It's a good idea to use a kife or something to hold the patch in the water so it doesn't fold up, etc
Boil until only 1ml remains
Remove the patch
Add SMALL amounts of baking soda to bring the pH back up (until bubbles ALMOST stop but not more)
You will be left with 1ml containing 2.5mg of fentanyl. I'm not sure if the end result is fentanyl citrate (salt form) or still the base suspended in water but it works well. From what I understand, converting the base to citrate requires a 24hr reflux -this 5-minute boil causes the fent to leave the adhesive and become more water soluble (works every time).
CAREFULLY divide into three or four shots. Do NOT try more than this until you know your tolerance -even if you are an experienced junkie. The whole 2.5ml suspended in this 1ml solution is equal to a gram of average street dope or 250 mg of pure morphine and will easily render an experienced junkie unconscious (I know from experience). More than enough to kill an occasional shooter.
I have been hesitant to post this but do so in the hope of providing a safe extraction method, producing consistant results. Use your head & don't test your limits because one mistake can cost you your life!
This method has been repeated hundreds of times.
Don't forget to basify your solution with baking soda at the end or you will feel some extreme burning in your veins (or even worse if you miss!).

Works the same for Mylan and Sandoz, as well as the name brand Duragesic (non-gel type patches).

Use extreme caution -Don't OD!

Last edited:
opana extraction

Great. Now I'd like to see an oxymorphone extraction for Opana ER that allows you at least 70% BA. mg for mg oxymorphone is 14 times stronger than oxycodone. If oxycodone solution was made for injection, and you shot 14mg of it IV in a hospital setting, assuming 99% BA, you would only need 1mg of oxymorphone IV assuming 99% BA to get an equipotent dose.

It shouldn't be hard to break the timerx release, it's just xanthan and locust bean gum which can be "fractured" (thus lowering viscosity to almost 0) using citric acid, sodium percarbonate, ammonium persulfate, ferrous ammonium sulfate and EDTA (ethylene diamine tetracetic acid, found in lots of foods as a preservative). Simply suspend the opana ER in water to let it become a viscous gel, then add the oxidizers (sodium percarbonate, ammonium persulfate), and a bunch of citric acid to make sure the time it takes to completely "break" the viscosity of the gel isn't more than an hour, and then add the two catalysts (ferrous ammonium sulfate and EDTA), stir around and you should have successfully broken the opana ER cross-linked gum matrix time-release. Now I have no idea what you would have to do to get rid of all those excess chemicals, but that's up to you guys to figure out.

If you don't have citric acid, use acetic acid, if you don't have ferrous ammonium sulfate on hand, use any other soluble iron salt like ferrous chlorate, ferrous acetic, ferrous bromide, ferrous perchlorate, ferrous formate, ferrous iodide, ferrous nitrate and ferrous tartarate, and if you don't have a bunch of EDTA (a tertiary amine), use another one like triethanolamine, dimehylaminopropionitrile, phenanthroline, N-methylmorpholine, N,N dimethylbenzylamine or pyridine.

There's no reason the time release for opana ER shouldn't have been broken already. A quick search on fracturing aqueous solutions comprised of xanthan and locust bean gum reveals that it's very easy to change the viscosity of this gel and release all of the particulate matter that the gel is enveloping. People have been doing this in the drilling industry for many years.

simple bro- Toast/Bake them until the gel solidifies, then crush away....

Can you make this in a step by step thread? I'm a horrible reader when it comes to long directions! I just want to extract the patch for IV use safely

Are you serious? Perhaps you should post your number so the OP can walk you through the process step-by-step over the phone?

You can't be bothered reading what detailed instructions posters have been kind enough to take the time and effort to post on this message board for the sole benefit of people like you.......instructions which could very well save your life if you follow them? I'm at a loss for words. Truly fucking speechless at just how lazy some people can truly be.

Im having slight difficulty understanding the method. You are heating the patch for a couple minutes and then removing the glue from the solution? From my knowledge the fentanyl is mixed into the glue in the mylans and that there is no fentanyl in the plastic backing to it. So wouldnt you want to keep boiling the glue as well? I NEED CLARITY POR FAVOR.

So is anyone able to clarify oxy's comment about removing the glue during his extraction method? It seems that most people who tried his method and removed the glue were not successful... When oxy originally posted his method he stated it worked only for the polymer-matrix patches. I was under the assumption that the polymer-matrix patches were the same as drug-in-adhesive patches... that all non-reservoir patches were, in essence, the the same - Am I incorrect in this assumption?

It would be great to hear of any recent experiences with this!

great post on smokeing it Mrglass ty but just to make sure u say the fished product is a white liquid thats what i got so all good there but do u then leave this to fully evap and smoke the residue or hold a lighter under and inhale the evaporating liquid just to clarify thanks

I have some questions about Fentanyl unrelated to tampering with it. I have a pretty painful back sprain, and was given a Watson 75 mcg/h Fentanyl patch and was told that I could cut it into quarters so it wouldn't be too strong and I could just wear it for 3 days normally. However, mine is this gel-filled patch, of which I obviously can't cut open without the stuff leaking everywhere. I don't have much of a tolerance these days, just been taking some 5mg Vicoden for pain. Will I be ill from sticking this puppy on my back? I actually tried stick it on for 30 minutes, then pulling it off. Didn't feel anything, and effectively made the patch un-sticky. Just curious. I'm happy to throw it away and go back to motrin, but some relief would be nice.

I have a sandoz 25mcg/hr patch.. put it in 4ml of isopropyl alcohol, heated it on the coffee pot hotplate for 2 hours til it evaporated. no vodka or liquor around, so i dumped some vinegar in, and it turned into a sticky booger type gel. Any idea if i just wasted this one or what? Really not sure what to do with it at this point. Just stick it in my lip for a bit? idk.. sketchy situations can always wait. better off alive.

I have some questions about Fentanyl unrelated to tampering with it. I have a pretty painful back sprain, and was given a Watson 75 mcg/h Fentanyl patch and was told that I could cut it into quarters so it wouldn't be too strong and I could just wear it for 3 days normally. However, mine is this gel-filled patch, of which I obviously can't cut open without the stuff leaking everywhere. I don't have much of a tolerance these days, just been taking some 5mg Vicoden for pain. Will I be ill from sticking this puppy on my back? I actually tried stick it on for 30 minutes, then pulling it off. Didn't feel anything, and effectively made the patch un-sticky. Just curious. I'm happy to throw it away and go back to motrin, but some relief would be nice.

ladybugkiller, yes a 75mcg/hr patch would be way too much for you. According to the conversion chart I looked at, if one were taking 50mg of hydrocodone per day, ie ten of the 5/500 Vicodin per day, they would only need 13.89mcg/hr of Fentanyl.

To use the 75mcg/hr patch you would need to be taking at least 300mg of hydrocodone per day, ie sixty of the 5/500 Vicodin per day, everyday. Since you said you just been taking "some" 5mg Vicodin I think it is safe to assume you are not taking sixty per day, therefore the 75mcg/hr patch is way too much.

This is the conversion chart I used:
http://www.globalrph.com/opioidconverter2.htm

I'm not a doctor and these conversion charts are not always accurate but given the huge difference in strength between hydro and fent, I think it's very safe to say the 75mcg/hr patch is WAY too much for someone who just takes Vicodin.

In the interest of Harm Reduction - I feel it necessary to point out a SERIOUS flaw in the OP's math that is likely to hurt people - OP states that a 50 mcg/h patch that contains 5.0mg of Fentanyl extracts into 4mL water and that 10 Units is equal to 1 hours worth of medication (50 mcg/h). These patches are rated at 72 hours not 40 hours - and even at 72 hours the fentanyl is not completely depleted. At 10 Units of a 4mL extraction of a 50mcg/h patch, you are actually ingesting/injecting 125mcg of fentanyl, not 50mcg. 50mcg = 0.05mg; 500mcg = 0.5mg; 5.0mg / 10 = 0.5mg. To achieve a per-hour equivalent at 10 units you would need to use 10mL of liquid for the final mixture for a single patch.
The OP needs to edit his post to reflect this as he's currently misleading people into believing that 10 units is one hours' worth of medication when in reality it is several times that amount. This is why listening to people on the internet is dangerous.

Last edited:
Ladybugkiller - Your doctor should start you on 12.5mcg/h patches if you are a low-tolerance opiate user who uses opiates regularly (meaning daily) and in moderate amounts (e.g. no more than 6 or so of those Vicodin a day). Sticking it on for 30 minutes isn't going to do much for you - it takes 20 hours for the patch to reach peak efficacy. Be forewarned, for many people, Fentanyl will not make you "feel" the same as other opiates - I've been IVed with it at the hospital for a procedure at 200mcg's when my normal patches are 25mcg/h and I felt no different other than my breathing was slowed more than usual - I did not feel an opiate "high" as I would have with Oxycodone, Hydromorphone, Hydrocodone, Morphine, etc. This is one of the reasons chasing a high with Fentanyl can be so dangerous, because people can feel nothing from it and assume that means they should do more. You should find a new pain management doctor and ditch that doctor with a quickness if he's bumping you from occasional Vicodin usage to 75mcg/h Fentanyl, unless you've been untruthful with him about your opiate usage in order to gain larger quantities of medication (yeah... it happens ;)) If you're only interested in pain relief you could ask your Dr. about Nucynta - it doesn't work for everyone but I went from about 80mg Oxycodone a day plus a 25mcg/h Fentanyl patch to just one 50mg Nucynta every other day or so with much better pain management - the caveat is that Nucynta does not get you high and is nearly impossible to abuse with any success for all the trouble it takes to do so (trust me I got bored one day and tried lol), but for me, it has done wonders for the quality of my life so it's something you should talk to your doctor about if your genuine interest in pain medicine is to get rid of the pain. Quite frankly I was with the same pain management practice for 4+ years and they just kept loading me up on meds that helped the pain a little but for the most part just got me high to the point that I really didn't care about the pain as much. It wasn't until my last Dr. left and I got placed with a new doctor within the practice whom I didn't get along with at all that I migrated to a different pain management practice with a different doctor that I even became aware of the existence of Nucynta. My new Dr. prescribes it with Soma (a muscle relaxer) and Mobic (an NSAID - think high-dose Alleve/Advil) and I have gone from massive amounts of pain to very little pain though I still have breakthrough on occasion. Furthermore, traditional opiates can trick your body into creating significantly more pain when you are on them long term and it has been a while since your last dose - early stage withdrawal is the reasoning for this because your body has become physically dependent on the opiates so your brain will create a worsening of the pain subconsciously to coerce you to ingest more opiates. While the Nucynta is a Schedule 2 drug it is a synthetic compound that acts on the mu-opiod receptors in your body without all the negative side effects generally associated with traditional opiates e.g. constipation, loss of sex drive, impaired breathing, altered state of consciousness (being high or doped out), memory loss, and (drumroll) dependency! It's very easy to come off the Nucynta without a serious withdrawal. Granted it doesn't work for everyone and gives some people migraines and it is also a more expensive drug than most traditional opiates, but as anyone living with chronic pain will tell you, anything is worth a try.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.