• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone vs Oxycodone

KayinGA

Bluelighter
I suck at math and I have no experience with meds, well other than consumtion of them...sooo anyway, going to doc today to discuss new course of pain management. Seeking longer acting care. If we go with Methadone, and yes I know the down side to that, does anyone know the comparison between a Percocet 10mg and a Methadone 10mg tab??

Example: one Methadone 10 like 2 Perc 10's or 3 or what? Thank you 8o

Make sure you don't take the methadone w/o the facts. I DO believe there is some awesome information on this site if you just use the search function, type in methadone and check out the megathread. Otherwise just search it in posts/threads. You'll find varied experiences/dosages.

It's strong, lasts a long time, and no..10mg methadone does not even close to equal 2 percs. If I didn't have to get ready for work now I'd get more specific. I hope you get the info you need to work out your situation.

well if you need longer acting pain meds why cany he put you on oxycontin and oxynorm for breakthrough pain? think that would be better option than methadone unless its a financial consideration as methadone is very cheap in terms of other opiods like oxy/opana etc

Percocet has a short half-life (2.5-3 hours) while Methadone has a very long half-life (24-36 hours). Methadone is a better choice for pain management because it does not have to be dosed repeatedly throughout the day and does not contain acetaminophen.

yeah...indeed.. Liver Failure is not on my list of things to do. Thanks for the info.:\

Cold water extraction.

It is a simple process of putting your opiate/acetaminophen drug of choice in room temp water and let them dissolve fully. Now get the water as close as you can to freezing, and strain your water through a coffee filter. The white sludge is the acetaminophen. The opiate that you extracted is in the water.

why dissolve in room temp water? ive always done cwe with cold water....

ok.. yeah I have heard of that but I have never tried it. I am glad that with the methadone I dont have to worry that. You know the whole time I was taking the other meds (percocet etc.) I was always worried about the liver damage, but not enough to stop I guess.

My ex hubby is battling 4th stage liver disease now and its an awful way to live and die. I am just glad that according to the last labs my doc did there are not any problems with liver function etc.

Methadone is at least twice as strong as Percocet when taken on a daily basis, since it has a long half-life and builds up in the body. In my experience, methadone was about 3x as strong as oxycodone. So if you took 120mg oxycodone per day, 40 mg methadone would be about the same.

If you google "opioid equivalency" you'll get a bunch of different charts & calculators that docs use. But there is a wide variability. One even said that 80mg oxy/day=12mg methadone/day, which I think is total bullshit. When I was in high school, tons of people with zero tolerance would take 1 or 2 methadone 10mg tabs, and at most get nauseous. 80mg oxy could've killed them.

Methadone is much more sedating though. If I had chronic pain, I'd much rather switch from Percocet to a longer-acting oxycodone (Oxycontin) with something as needed for breakthrough pain, like Megawolf said. Methadone is highly effective for pain, but it also has more side effects. Also, I don't know your situation as to whether you'll require pain meds for the rest of your life, but if not, I'd think about the withdrawal. Oxycodone withdrawal lasts about 7-10 days, Methadone withdrawal lasts about a month. Virtually everyone I've talked to that's gotten off Methadone (or tried to) has said the withdrawal is hell and worse than heroin...

why dissolve in room temp water? ive always done cwe with cold water....

You will still have to put the stuff in the freezer for a few.

Using room temp water is going to allow the tablets to dissolve way faster.
It is even faster with crushed tabs and room temp water.

All in all it doesn't matter, the sudden chill of the water is what does the work towards the end.

Sorry for bringing up a very old thread, but I had to chime in on here, because I have A LOT of experience with BOTH Oxycodone and Methadone.

Chronic Methadone, which means you dose methadone everyday, is 3-4x as potent as Oxycodone. So a 10mg Methadone pill would be equivalent to 30-40mg of Oxycodone.

Acute Methadone, which means you dose methadone as needed, NOT everyday, would be 2-3x potent as Oxycodone. So 10mg Methadone pill would be 20-30mg of Oxycodone.

Methadone is much more powerful than Oxycodone to sum it all up.

A person who is naïve to opiates, can EASILY OD on Methadone, even at low doses like 10-20mg.

Oxycodone, on the other hand, a opiate naïve person can def. still OD on Oxycodone, but the OD range would be 60mg+.
I've had a friend, who took 45mg of Oxycodone, his very first time taking ANY opiate, got him VERY sick, turned pale, couldn't stop puking, etc. If he took 10-15mg more, he could've OD'd.

Acute Methadone is more recreational than Chronic Methadone though, I know it sounds weird, but that's how it is. A person who doses Methadone daily, a chronic user, would just have him feeling normal with no W/D or Euphoria.
I say this by experience, when I very first started MMT, my dose was was 40mg. I got super high and euphoric the 1st 2 week to about a month. After that, I became a chronic methadone user, and it just had me feeling normal the rest of the day.

Oxycodone though, would always feel euphoric. But your tolerance WILL rise dramatically. Like every 2 weeks you would need an extra 10mg to feel the same desired effects.

I went to MMT because of my Oxycodone/Black tar H addiction. I would pop my Oxy, and smoke my dope. I was an addict of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and Heroin for 6+ years before I started MMT.
Yet, 40mg held me with absolutely no w/d.
THAT'S how strong Methadone is.

Methadone is a VERY potent opiate.
Oxycodone is also potent, compared to Hydrocodone and Codeine, but compared to Methadone, its like Father like son, Methadone is Oxycodone's daddy. haha