• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Medical Heroin Works to Beat Opioid Addiction

ranunky

Bluelighter
Injectable diacetylmorphine, the active ingredient in heroin, was shown to be an effective alternative to oral methadone in treating opioid addiction that had not responded to previous treatment.

Compared with methadone in a phase III trial, diacetylmorphine led to significantly higher rates of reduced illegal activity and illicit drug use after one year of treatment (67% versus 47.7%, P=0.004), according to Martin Schechter, MD, PhD, of the University of British Columbia School of Population and Public Health in Vancouver, and colleagues.

Patients receiving diacetylmorphine also had higher rates of retention in addiction treatment programs at one year (87.8% versus 54.1%, P<0.001), the researchers reported in the Aug. 20 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. Explain to interested patients that the researchers said methadone should remain the standard treatment for opioid addiction, with diacetylmorphine reserved for patients who don’t respond.

The numbers needed to treat for both outcomes were very low, according to Schechter — 5 for the reduction of illegal activity and illicit drug use and 3 for retention.Schechter said methadone should remain the standard treatment for most patients with opioid dependence, with diacetylmorphine reserved for the 15% to 25% who don’t respond.

“Methadone remains a pretty good first-line treatment,” he said, “but either the switch to heroin or using heroin as an adjunct obviously has increased effectiveness for this difficult population.”

Joshua Lee, MD, of New York University, said the findings validate those from European studies — that medical heroin is a valid approach to treating addiction.

“Generally,” said Lee, who was not involved in the study, “it is a very positive development when a new treatment approach … brings drug users into a medicalized, therapeutic environment where further treatment can be established and related problems like cocaine use can begin to be addressed.”

Daniel Angres, MD, questioned the usefulness of both diacetylmorphine and methadone as treatment options when an alternative with less abuse potential — bupronorphine (marketed as Suboxone when combined with naloxone) — is available.

The drug is less likely to be abused, he said, because the naloxone would block the opiate effect of bupronorphine if the drug were injected.

To explore diacetylmorphine treatment in a North American population, Schechter and his colleagues initiated the North American Opiate Medication Initiative (NAOMI), an open-label, phase III trial conducted in Montreal and Vancouver.

The trial could not be conducted in the U.S. because of difficulty obtaining funding and regulatory permission to inject heroin, Schechter said.

Participants were long-term users of heroin — mean duration of 16.5 years — who had at least two failed treatment attempts, one of which had to be methadone. About three-quarters had participated in illegal activities other than drug use in the month before the study began.

The researchers assigned 111 participants to methadone and 115 to diacetylmorphine, which was self-administered up to three times daily with a maximum daily dose of 1,000 milligrams. Treatment lasted one year.

By the end of treatment, composite scores for drug use and illegal activities on the European Addiction Severity Index improved significantly in both groups (P<0.01).

Patients who received diacetylmorphine had significant improvements on six of the seven remaining subscales. Those who received methadone improved on two — economic status and employment satisfaction.

The gains in the diacetylmorphine group were greater than those in the methadone group for drug use, psychiatric status, employment satisfaction, and social relations (P?0.05 for all).

However, there were more serious adverse events in the diacetylmorphine group — 51 versus 18. None of the adverse events in the methadone group was attributed to the study treatment.

The most common serious adverse events with diacetylmorphine treatment were potentially life-threatening overdoses in 10 patients and seizures in six. None of the patients died.

“Our safety data suggest that diacetylmorphine should be delivered in settings where prompt medical intervention is available,” the researchers said.

Schechter added, however, that “we consider the results to show it’s very, very safe.”

Diacetylmorphine treatment is more expensive than methadone, Schechter said. A year of treatment costs about $6,300 to $7,300 for prescribed heroin and about $2,700 to $3,600 for methadone.

But, he said, given the cost of an untreated person with heroin addiction estimated at about $50,000 a year — including costs associated with medical care, imprisonment, and legal proceedings — both treatments appear highly cost-effective.

A formal cost-effectiveness analysis is ongoing, he said.

In an accompanying editorial, Virginia Berridge, PhD, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, pointed out that European countries that have conducted similar trials have had different responses to the results, partly because of the politics and controversial nature of the treatment.

For example, she said, Switzerland and the Netherlands have begun prescribing heroin as part of their medical system, whereas Germany and Spain have balked at the idea.

“We will now wait to see what political or professional factors will support or oppose the conclusions of this study in its home territory, and whether the historical legacy of heroin will matter,” she said.

Medical Heroin Works to Beat Opioid Addiction

Posted on February 3rd, 2010 TimB No comments

http://inef.ie/?p=2920

Last edited by a moderator:
There are more and more interesting, informative and positive studies that are going into this and I really do hope that this takes off word-wide :)
I'm extremely cynical about it happening but one can dream..... ^_^

It makes so much sense, but you'd feel as though you were smashing your head against a 15" thick Titanium plate talking to any politician about passing a law and making this possible :X:(:|

The idea is almost too simple, subsidize the junkies!

but really the idea of giving addicts a up to 1,000mgs of pharmaceutical grade smack to shoot up three times a day just seems enabling them at the highest level.

and i think they may have glossed over certain sections of study more then others;
"However, there were more serious adverse events in the diacetylmorphine group — 51 versus 18. None of the adverse events in the methadone group was attributed to the study treatment.

The most common serious adverse events with diacetylmorphine treatment were potentially life-threatening overdoses in 10 patients and seizures in six. None of the patients died."

--wait a minute-- out of 111 participants, 16 had potentially deadly side effects. which means in a one year study 14.5% of participants nearly killed themselves. it seems like this would only be good a good percentage when considered alongside something lie poly-IV drug use or whatnot.

“Our safety data suggest that diacetylmorphine should be delivered in settings where prompt medical intervention is available,” the researchers said."

ya think??

after reading that I can't say I dont envy these people on a certain level... geez some people just got it made 8)

"Schechter added, however, that “we consider the results to show it’s very, very safe.” ;)

There is simply no way anything like this will ever get passed into law. we already have a near impossible task trying to convince people that needle exchanges are a good idea, they think that is enabling. This would never happen, and honestly, in my opinion, shouldn't. giving addicts pharm. grade heroin to "beat" opioid addiction is a joke. of course they're not stealing and robbing people to get money for drugs, you're GIVING them up to a gram of pharm grade dope to shoot! if someone handed me three grams of dope and said, "here shoot up to a gram of it, three times a day" I'd probably shit my pants! I'd be too busy nodding out hardcore off of some primo shit to steal a damn thing!

I think it has potential but it won't ever get passed into law. At least as a maintenance drug. Methadone is cheaper and works good enough. As far as the general public is concerned methadone is already a dirty word, so I can't even imagine the public outrage.

I could maybe see this as a way to get people to 'detox', like I know more junkies would attempt to enter rehab if they received heroin for a 3-5 day detox and then were switched to methadone.

The whole point is to get people into treatment, not to keep them strung out on dope forever. And if my memory serves correct the majority of people on medical heroin maintenance eventually lower and stabilize their dose and switch to bupe or 'done. And there are tons of forgotten people in society who would never enter rehab or have given up on the traditional treatment options. So if it can help save lives do it up.

And these people should be taking their doses at a clinic so if they OD, a nurse or doctor can take the appropriate action. But IMO it should just be a detox thing, 5 days max and switch them to methadone. Treatment centers would be overflowing and even if only a small percentage of people actually get clean it'll still be worth it.

The whole point is to get people into treatment, not to keep them strung out on dope forever.
I think the whole point is to allow people to quit on their own terms, all while putting them in contact with the people that can help them along the way. The goal of methadone maintenance, and heroin maintenance, is to reduce the harm caused by an addiction to an illicit drug. And there are countless studies showing that both work, with heroin probably working better than methadone.

Providing it just for detox doesn't make sense from a pharmacological or psychological point of view. Simply put, its half-life is too short and it's too euphoric.

I'm a little surprised by how some people, here out of all places, are against it. I guess this is what needles exchanges, and methadone maintenance, were up against at first.

Anything closer to full legalisation is a good thing :).

What's that BS about intravenous Suboxone being ineffective :?.

That's just what Reckitt Benckiser tells everyone. ;)

i can not appreciate anyones concern about what i put in my body. that's part of what's wrong with the world. why would anyone ,especially bluelighters, agree to limiting our freedom to live as we want.

Not wishing to be pedantic (if you believe that you'll believe anything!) but diacetylmorphine is heroin (whether injectable ir not) rather than the 'active ingredient'

A bit like saying alphamethylphenethylamine is the active ingredient in amphetamine... THEY'RE JUST DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME THING

was shown to be an effective alternative to oral methadone in treating opioid addiction

DIAMORPHINE IS THE CAUSE OF MOST OPIATE ADDICTION, NOT AN EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT

God save us from journo attempts at 'the appliance of science'

Last edited:
DIAMORPHINE IS THE CAUSE OF MOST OPIATE ADDICTION, NOT AN EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT

I don't think they ever said it waasn't. And it can be both... In fact it has been prroven as an effective alternative to methadone, hence this article. I think your 'bad journospeak radar' is set a little too high.

Last edited:
Not wishing to be pedantic (if you believe that you'll believe anything!) but diacetylmorphine is heroin (whether injectable ir not) rather than the 'active ingredient'

A bit like saying alphamethylphenethylamine is the active ingredient in amphetamine... THEY'RE JUST DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME THING
'

Technically heroin is what you buy on the street praying to jeebus it is diamorphine and only diamorphine. Not many people go into the hood and cop pure skag lol.

I don't know why they don't just use injections or transdermal delivery of derivatives that take a long time to metabolize to morphine like divalerylmorphine... Essential just time release morphine, which would probably treat the addiction better than methadone but not have abuse/overdose potential.

Technically heroin is what you buy on the street praying to jeebus it is diamorphine and only diamorphine. Not many people go into the hood and cop pure skag lol.

Yes, that's the distinction. Heroin is what's sold on the street, which often has other adulterants and inactive ingredients. From what I've heard from people who have had both, heroin and diamorphine, some actually prefer the heroin over the pure diamorphine. Take that for what it's worth though, hearsay anecdotal evidence. :D

FnB said:
So you disagree with the results of the various peer reviewed (and replicated) studies on this? Can't say I'd see that coming from someone being so pedantic. ;)

I don't know why they don't just use injections or transdermal delivery of derivatives that take a long time to metabolize to morphine like divalerylmorphine... Essential just time release morphine, which would probably treat the addiction better than methadone but not have abuse/overdose potential.

if it didn't have abuse potential, it would not treat the patient's desire to get high as a kite.

Face it, some people simply need a shit load of hardcore tranquilizers to be tranquil. I don't see how that's hard to understand. It's not about whether you agree with it, it's about cutting down crime, disease and death. It's not an end game either. The scrizophrenia still exists. This honestly doesn't suprise me, especially from Vanc. If you want to surprise me, show me a fucking alcohol maintinance program. How about an alcohol transdermal patch?

The entire lifestyle surrounding opioids is way more dangerous than the opioids themselves. Keep the junkies off the street. I would have been 10 times more productive as a junkie if you simply took waiting around for like 3 hours for my connects to come through while I was sick as a fucking AIDS patient away. Now if you can allow me the peace of mind to know that my drugs are going to come through no matter what, without ever having to scour a bad area for drugs or get arrested, and allow me absolute control and knowledge of the dose I am taking then there would be no reason I could not be a 100% functioning member of society.

Morphine doesn't "beat" heroin or opioid addiction!
What kind of bullshit study is this!

I don't see why more research isn't being put towards Ibogaine and Salvia.

My main arguement for Salvia is that it is an Incredibly Potent κ-opioid agonist.

If you know anything about k-opioid receptor agonist.

Now Salvia is active at Microgram Levels. Imagine Being a Heroin Addict and inside a Clinic, where at the first sign of "withdrawl" symptoms from the opiate you are heavily addicted to. You are given a 500ug shot of Salvinorin A. I imagine that if you don't figure out how to ignore your addiction after the first shot....

I mean seriously why isn't there more research being put into this.

If it is such a Potent opioid receptor agonist why the fuck are we still dealing with
Methadone, and now turning the tables back to morphine??!

Kids just stay the fuck away from opiates, they never did anyone anygood, can't handle the pain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people probably won't agree with this, but I think if they're gonna give out H at clinics, they honestly might as well let you take it home too. I think there should also be some sort of hotline that you call right before your shot so in case anything happens and you OD they can send an ambulance. I say this cause a junkie just sometimes NEEDS to have that shot right before going to bed