• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Medical Heroin Works to Beat Opioid Addiction

^ Fear of being dopesick is not motivation enough to get and stay clean. If so, then addicts wouldn't start using again after being clean just long enough to get past WD's. Plus, the program is specifically for those in methadone maintanence who don't have to worry about WD's, but use anyway. Try staying in MM 2+ years and not having cravings.

nobody ever said fear of being dopesick was the motivation. in my post I simply said that while dopesick I always took stock of my life and it motivated me to get better. I obviously hated being sick, but avoiding sickness was not a primary reason behind my recovery effort. I wanted to get better because I was sick and tired of living the dope life.

Also I never said I didn't have cravings either. I crave dope 24/7, I still have using dreams. It's a daily struggle to stay clean. part of getting better is becoming strong enough to work through that stuff and realizing that even though you want it so bad, it's just not worth the bullshit that comes with it. I know that if I use, even once, that within a month or two I'll be right back to square one. with a dope habit, my girl on the brink of leaving me, and feeling like shit about myself. It ain't worth it, that's what keeps me clean.

but this ain't a thread about how I stay clean, it's a thread about giving Heroin to people and telling them that they "beat" their addiction. and that's straight up bullshit.

I mus thave misinterperated your post.

I thought you were saying here that we should have heroin maintainance programmes but we have to accept that we never will.

sorry, what were you referring to here?

No im saying that we SHOULD be able to have people quit heroin and live without it but some never will so we should understand that programs like this is a necessary thing if you want to work with reality and not the ideal that will never exist.

FnB- Pethidine/Demerol: If you are going to be pedantic on drugs, Pethidine and Meperidine are the UK/US names. Demerol is a brand name

I knew I'd get that wrong (I always do!), but the basis of the arguement remains the same. Still a silly thing to do with approved pharmaceutical names though

Yeah. Pharmaceutical non-proprietary names should be the same internationally or at least nearly the same (amphetamine/amfetamine won't confuse you, but epinephrine/adrenaline or acetaminophen/paracetamol is not really helpful to anyone.)

For example, she said, Switzerland and the Netherlands have begun prescribing heroin as part of their medical system, whereas Germany and Spain have balked at the idea.

I just want to correct this. The German parliament last year has voted to allow the prescription of heroin to addicts who have not responded to other treatments. I dont know of any new clinics but the clinics that conducted the study for this law can operate further. And technically new patients could be supplied but i am not sure how many free slots there are right now.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/588/germany_approves_heroin_maintenance

I don't know about you guys, but giving me heroin would improve my life dramatically. I have to struggle and force myself to stay clean for the rest of my life because society wants me to? I don't know if I can without committing homicide on myself.

The concept of "staying clean" by being on heroin seems a bit backwards to most, but is the most logical solution at the same time. This paradox throws a lot of money around and Rickett Bensicker is getting a SUBstantial amount of it.

"Medical Heroin Works to Beat Opioid Addiction" ...say what? That's quite an oxymoron. There are tons of people who would benefit from a program like this, but IMO it will never happen in the US. The government certainly isn't going to pay for peoples' heroin. They would make people pay for it. Then what happens when addicts run out of money? Many will resort to criminal activity, and many will have a habit worse than they would on the street (at least in terms of amount; the habits will be much safer with medical H instead of street H). Some could even be more motivated to commit crimes for money, trying to get their daily doses of pure heroin.

Of course, these statements are not necessarily true...but these would be legit reasons to block legislation. Even if injections of pure heroin were offered, I would still recommend methadone or suboxone. The point is that addicts can go in the morning and get a dose that lasts all day. Then they can go to work and lead productive lives. Also, if an addict misses a day or two of methadone doses, perhaps for financial reasons, bad weather, or lack of transportation, they aren't going to go into instant terrible withdrawal like a 3X/day H user.

Still, it is true that many heroin addicts need heroin, not just something to occupy the receptors and prevent sickness. They need that familiar high that only their DOC can give. The US government is probably never going to have sympathy for these people...like someone else said, we don't really even have legal medical marijuana.

This heroin maintenance program is based in the sad reality, but its one we need to face. Some people aint gonna recover. some people is gonna shoot dope til they fuckin die. Some people dont know how to live no more, and even with the most devoted training and rehab and care and support will still go back out on to the street and shoot dope into their arms. Its just how life is. Some people cant be cured. but they CAN be helped. And we should all want nothin more than to do that. I am idealistic. but i am also realistic. I believe that everybody can be helped, that you can save people who seems too far gone to the rest of the world. And i will never stop workin towards that, but I also recognize how important it is to work with people in the ways that can help them, not the ways that "should" help them but wont work for watever reason.

I aint sayin we should take ppl who shoot dope for a year and have a lil problem and went to detox once and got back on dope and give them medical IV heroin all day. I aint sayin this should be some type of free for all. But for the long time balls to the wall never gonna quit, "hope i die with this next shot cuz i rather be dead than keep doing this but i just cant stop", this program could be a god send.

Seriously, there is awlays gonna be these people, the ones who is gonna OD and end up dead from their use, the ones who just cant seem to shake it. The "hopeless" ones. This program gives them a alternative to jails and death--And not only that but its the CHAOS of the lifestyle that keeps you down when you in it. when you remove that constant chaos, struggle, hustle, fear, and all that, it give you the time to actually deal with other parts of your life. Once you got the main problem, keepin frmo gettin sick, outta the way, then you free to pursue the real shit. but the problem with bein on a dope run is that you never get there cuz its a constant fight to stay well and stay from gettin locked up and all that.

So you give ppl this and eliminate all that crazyness and they gonna slowly start to recover, its a natural progression...And not only that, but alot of us can never seem to quit becuz its liike, just this one time...jus so i can get high real good one more time. just one last one, but it never works, the dope is bunk,. you couldnt afford enough to get real wasted and you keep chasing.

True... oh so true..., if only the people could see through the stigma and stop wasting time and come to realize that this is just the way it is and always has been and always will be when it comes to this drug.

There are tons of people who would benefit from a program like this, but IMO it will never happen in the US. The government certainly isn't going to pay for peoples' heroin. They would make people pay for it. Then what happens when addicts run out of money?

God bless the NHS despite all it's faults. In the UK we've had an effective 'free at source'* healthcare system for 60 years where running out of money isn't a consideration (& the NHS has always used medical diamorphine, so no knee jerk 'no medical heroin' legislation to overcome)

* - well we pay for it in income tax and national insurance - the part of my tax bill I don't begrudge paying (unlike the tax money that went to buy Trident!)

Anything closer to full legalisation is a good thing :).

What's that BS about intravenous Suboxone being ineffective :?.

I have been on soboxone for years, If one injects soboxone the naloxone in it goes to work,its an opiate blocker and will and does block the buprenorphine so if injected you get very little or nothing. If you take the pill as prescribed the buprenorphine is absorbed and little or none of the naloxone is absorbed see how it workes ? I am all for the legal heroin but just the word makes ignorant people cringe. In time it will happen, if we as a race dont finish ourselves off first.

I have had severe depression for years and some of the opiates help so much but doctors cannot prescribe it for this reason. I have tried so many so called antidepressants and found some of them are very addictive. Paxel (peraxotine) and effexor and to me when I stopped them I went through bad withdrawal. To me it seems some antidepressants are very addictive so please tell me what is the difference ? So what if methadone or oxycodone or heroin is addictive, so are the damn antidepressants, If I were prescribed heroin or even methadone my life would be so much better, it is a fact that a small percentage of the population truly only feel rite,while on an opiate,it is so sad that for so many depressed people there is help and we cant get it because of pure ignorance. I feel like charleton Heston looking at the statue of liberty at the end of movie planet of the apes, damn you all to hell !

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic - ^ Naloxone blocking bupe sounds very believable and its great in theory, however it does not work that way in practice. I've shot sub many times and I'm not proud of it or anything, nor am I trying to bust your balls, but I can say for certain that this theory is a myth.

On topic - Yeah giving heroin to heroin addicts isn't actually a cure, but it definitely curbs if not eliminates all bad aspects of addiction. People don't go broke buying it so they don't resort to crime. They don't spend all day trying to get high and wondering where their next hit is coming from so they can spend all day securing and working a job and being a productive member of society(yay society). They know what their exact dose is which lowers the possibility of overdose greatly not to mention they have proper medical assistance on hand when they do their dose so the threat of overdose is almost 0. So all in all its not a cure to addiction, but it is a cure to having a shitty life and after all doesn't my duty to society only call for a 9-5. I mean as long as we got that covered why do they even care if we shoot a little(a lot) of heroin anyways? Thats the reason they give out methadone and suboxone why not just give out heroin. I'm tired of tip toeing around these lines that are so thin they're nearly invisible if one was to actually look at them non metaphorically.

but really the idea of giving addicts a up to 1,000mgs of pharmaceutical grade smack to shoot up three times a day just seems enabling them at the highest level.
they're not going to quit till they're ready anyway, it costs us and them less to have them use medical heroin while not ready to quit, and when they are inducted into the medical agencies they become ready to quit much sooner and recieve support/counseling/therapy and have other medical needs addressed

i don't care if they are "enabled". it's the right thing to do for these people and for the rest of the country

Can you people please stop saying: "Yea sure this would work BUT THE GOVERNMENT would NEVER let this happen.....ect" Last time I checked we own the government, the goverment doesn't own us. We put the government in power and we give them power. WE do. We relinquish some of our rights for the greater good, and then still those laws can't superceed the Bill of Rights. We make the world what it is, the world doesn't make us. You guys talk like this shit is on auto-pilot. I hate to break it to you but the world is your will. So say yes.

Good post Ms. K

Last edited:
Injectable diacetylmorphine, the active ingredient in heroin

Is it accurate to say that diacetylmorphine is the active ingredient of heroin? Diacetylmorphine is just the original name for heroin.

No shit, methadone wd's blow and I feel there isn't enough know about bupe to prescribe it im on 32mgs a day and hate it but it does keep those withdrawals away. i'm 100 percent convinced i could kick using a regimen diacetylmorphine i find the wd's from dope some of the easiest to deal with and easiest to wean off but by no means is the entire process EASY in ITSELF, I'd never touch another substance again if theyd ween me off with that. I'd sign a binding contract.

If this study is the NAOMI project than it included yours truly. I was going to uni at Mcgill and had acquired first a pod habit, which slowly turned to heroin (montreal is great that way) The Heroin became speed balls along with a mental breakdown and me almost dropping out of school for the second time. Getting in to the NAOMI project is a long process and arduous task. It consisted of at least three months of repeated questions and urine analysis. Then It was like they were calling out lottery winners. Those who had a yellow card got Methadone for free for 18 months.
There I was The blue card in hand. I thought I had won the lottery, I might as well have because this was the best treatment method of the 4 detox facilities I had already visisted. I have not and will not buy street opiates every again. Once you experiences pharmaceutical grade Dia-morph. Of course the bring you up and done in dose very slowly that you are so used to it,. By the time you achieve 300mg or .3 per shot three times per day max.
Anyways this was so successful in both cities the results of Heroin compared to Methadone for treating addiction was gagged by our prime minister who hates the idea of it
Great program I am open to questions there were a lot of rules and you had to hang arounfth office

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol, just kidding man. That's awesome, how much did they give you a day, how many times, what method did you inject it? Are they branching out the program to become a legitimate part of regular maintinance? What's going on with it?