The traktor logo totally looks like... (aka the EMD social thread)

I don't dislike EDM in the slightest, but i think what your meaning is anyone with time and a computer can create a catchy beat, compared to artists and bands who have skill (not saying EDM doesn't btw, just not on the same level) and a lot more effort into creating their music.
How quickly can you create a sound you hear in your head on a synthesizer? How quickly can you map and remember 12 parameters across 5 or 6 devices? How quickly can you access and control those in real time while keeping an eye on your channel levels and set flow? EDM is more than just looping samples and punching keys.

How quickly can you create a sound you hear in your head on a synthesizer? How quickly can you map and remember 12 parameters across 5 or 6 devices? How quickly can you access and control those in real time while keeping an eye on your channel levels and set flow? EDM is more than just looping samples and punching keys.

I can do that all in a couple hours. How quickly can you write a song then practice it til it's perfect?

I dunno, its probably harder for producers to make music that stays relevant instead of dying out in some terrible fashionsense. Prodigys Fat of the Land comes to mind.

compared to artists and bands who have skill (not saying EDM doesn't btw, just not on the same level) and a lot more effort into creating their music.

I dunno man, I cranked out some Daft Punk and Murder Was the Bass over the weekend with a midi controller and Fruity but it was nowhere near as good. It takes a vast amount of time and effort to make those tracks.

I mean fuck anyone can pick up a guitar and sing shitty songs. Bob Dylan proved that. :D

Hi guys + girls,

JJ is going to be on vacation for a few weeks. So it might take me a little longer to keep this forum spam-free/etc. Our lovely Smod (OverDone) and lovely admin (n3o) are going to be helping me out in the meantime.

-Levi

I don't dislike EDM in the slightest, but i think what your meaning is anyone with time and a computer can create a catchy beat, compared to artists and bands who have skill (not saying EDM doesn't btw, just not on the same level) and a lot more effort into creating their music. Like i love my raves, but you won't ever really find me listening to that unless I'm heading to party.

Electronic music production consists of 99.9% of everything we hear today. To say it takes no talent means you must listen to a lot of the Philly harmonic orchestra, or camp fire acoustic jam sessions.

There exists this strange false dichotomy between what people believe is electronic and non-electronic music. It even pervades this culture (and we should know better). Electronic instrumentation is the backbone of the entire music industry.

What's up with promoters putting Mim0sa on a bill with The M Machine? WTF is The M Machine anyway? It sounds like some manufactured shit created by a shadowy major label to sell records to all of Skrillex's, Tiesto's, and Oakenfold's fans at the same time.

Hi guys + girls!

As some of you might have noticed I just started a Best song of 2011 nominations thread. This year I would also like to do a best producer/DJ of 2011 contest. (as per StarOceanHouse's suggestion). The only thing is I am not exactly sure how we should structure this contest.

* Should we simply allow people to nominate artists with releases in 2011?
* How are people going to explain why they think nominated someone?
* What do we do about the whole DJ vs producer thing? Are we looks for productions or DJing (I am assuming productions)?

Any comments would be very welcome!

I think it should be based on productions and not djing. It would be too tedious to choose djs as we'd probably have to listening to live sets or mixes by them that were released this year. I think the format should be similar to best track of 2011. Now what we could have each person do is nominate 5 (or whatever you want the limit to be) producers and choose a maximum of 3 (it could be more but I think that's an ideal number) tracks for each producer to represent them. I don't think we need people to explain why they nominated someone. Posting their best tracks for this year should suffice.

EMD friends, I need your help making a tough decision. There are 3 shows on the same night. I haven't seen any of these artists live before and need to decide which show to attend. Choices are

A. Claude Von Stroke/J. Phlip
B. EOTO/Disco Biscuits
C. Big Gigantic

A all the way...theyve both been through NM multiple times, and every time has been fan-fucking-tastic