The traktor logo totally looks like... (aka the EMD social thread)

someone told me one of my new tracks sounded 'dated' today, and he might have been impressed if it was 2001. wtf?! the vocal sample was from 1995, but still!

I think that means you have to post it here so we can take a look at it ;)

honestly, I don't even know what it meant. Was that supposed to be a criticism? it sure sounded like one. personally, I have never been on of those people who only plays track from the last 6 months/year (like SO many DJs do). I really don't care about when the track was released. a winner's a winner.

http://soundcloud.com/toa-t/how-high-bootleg

there's the tune. stills needs a few more bells and whistles/mastering, but you get the idea.

toa$t that's a bitchin track!!!!!!

I can kinda understand where your friend is coming from though, as techno/breaks were all the rage during the late 90's/early millennium. I dont really see it as an insult though as that was the golden age of EDM. I guess it's just how you interpret it though....

Real quality track though man, cheers!

Last edited:
thx guys. the response has been 'mixed' thus far (aka not great). it really works on a dancefloor though.

I can kinda understand where your friend is coming from though, as techno/breaks were all the rage during the late 90's/early millennium. I dont really see it as an insult though as that was the golden age of EDM. I guess it's just how you interpret it though....

yeah, that's kind of how I looked at it. It really got me thinking about the whole 'that sound is dated,' and why that is so widely considered to be a criticism.

yeah, that's kind of how I looked at it. It really got me thinking about the whole 'that sound is dated,' and why that is so widely considered to be a criticism.

I think everyone is too obsessed with "the new". Everyone wants the newest, hippest, most out there sound that they cant take time to appreciate classic sounds.

It's the hipster movement, what can I say :|

dude, I am totally guilty of this too. I also use too many howevers in my real writing.

haha, its why thesaurus.com is bookmarked on my browser. =D

i've been thinking about getting myself a pair of tapered jeans and an asymmetrical hair cut one of these days. maybe some converse. and starting to playing indie dance. only.

haha, like, more than one scarf. maybe I'll have to get a scarf rack.

and this hat:
340241775v26-350x350-front-color-blackwhite.jpg

(which I am actually starting to think is kind of cool)

oh no, the hipster disease has already gotten you!!!!!!

make sure you start smoking at least two packs of Natural Spirits per day. (Although I must admit, when I smoked Natural Spirits were my brand haha)

terrible producer, good DJ. saw him at this really weird party in San Francisco like a year ago. he went on at 1 and was still playing when I left at 7. he went through phases of playing slower melodic stuff, which kind of sucked, but the first 3ish hours were awesome.

terrible producer, great DJ. saw him at this really weird party in San Francisco like a year ago. he went on at 1 and was still playing when I left at 7. he went through phases of playing slower melodic stuff, which rocked, but the first 3ish hours were awesome.

Fixed that for you :)

As a producer, most of his tracks are pretty average, and anyway, they're all 'co-produced' by a 'studio partner' (I'm always cynical whenever a big-name DJ starts releasing tracks that are made in conjunction with an 'engineer', a 'studio partner', or a 'co-producer' :) )

However, he's released 2 tracks that imo are absolutely phenomenal - 'Maladjusted' is an epic breaks track from the late-90s - it sounds like Hybrid. And 'Why Are All The Pretty Ones Insane' is a tech-house track from around 2004 - it's got a thumping rhythm and a massive bassline, and I reckon you'd really like it - check it out on Beatport if you haven't heard it already :)

pretty ones is ok. I wish it didn't have all that tweaky shit going on though. it's too spastic. I don't know the other track.

I take any criticism about my EDM tracks with a grain of salt. Most people who aren't EDM producers, including many DJ's and almost all clubgoers, barely speak sine language. I sometimes think that EDM is one of the most misunderstood genres in music. Commercial electronic music is so terrible it has biased the casual listener's attitude toward what is good.

...and forget about taking criticism from people that rarely or do not normally listen to EDM. You know, those ones who say it isn't real music b/c it isn't played with instruments, as if an ARP 2600 or Moog Voyager were less complex than six strings and a fretboard.

pretty ones is ok. I wish it didn't have all that tweaky shit going on though. it's too spastic.

I used to hate all that tweaky shit too, but after about a year of listening to it on Hybrid's 'Y4K' CD, I began to realise that the tweaky shit is really just in the background. The track is all about those beats and that bassline.