• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Helpful Supplements For: Good Mood and Motivation

MatthewD

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I want to start taking some supplements for certain things such as mood stability and general motivation. I know there's no miracle pill, but I have a pretty bad diet (low hunger, no access to good food regularly). I know there's 100's of bodgy supplements (like Caffeine ones etc.), but I only want stuff that's more so scientifically proven to be beneficial. I don't want to just trick my body, I want to do it properly, how it would do it itself (a bit ironic I know).

My current ideas are:

Multi-Vitamin Tablets - I have an incomplete and probably not very nutritional diet, so I assume these would be useful. I will try to work on a better diet though.

5-HTP (or some sort of Seretonin supplement) - I've heard these are good for regulating mood, anxiety and motivation and may also reduce the harshness of some drug comedowns.

Dopamine Supplement's - I'm not sure if there's much in the way of these, but I understand that the Seretonin supplements may also increase Dopamine production. However, if there's anything I can take for this area, it would likely aid me in being a more motivated, concentrated person, right?

This is just a roughly thought up "plan" to sort of enhance my every day life. I figured these are all crutial chemicals to maintain mood, motivation etc., so by increasing my production/access to them, I'll probably function better and suffer less from comedowns on the odd occasions I take drugs. I guess either way I'm going to learn a lot from this thread...

First of all, people in the healthy living forum can probably help you more.

5-Htp definitely helps me, i take it regularly, and it has a noticable positive boost.

get some exercise, (ie aerobic for at least 20 min), its a natural mood lifter

definitely try to eat healthy and drink water regularly.

First of all, people in the healthy living forum can probably help you more.

5-Htp definitely helps me, i take it regularly, and it has a noticable positive boost.

get some exercise, (ie aerobic for at least 20 min), its a natural mood lifter

definitely try to eat healthy and drink water regularly.

Yeah, I plan to do a lot more exercize, and also make positive changes to my diet. What other supplements could I get/add? Something like St. Johns Wart maybe? Or would anything like that conflict?

I use Genkgo(sp?) to help me be more alert and have better focus in class. You may want to try that if you're having trouble focusing. For sedation I recommend Kava Kava; you get a relaxed and at large amounts you feel drunk along with some sedation. I found Kava Kava with ambien helps put me to sleep at night.

That's all I can tell you.. There's always Kratom too ;)

I use Genkgo(sp?) to help me be more alert and have better focus in class. You may want to try that if you're having trouble focusing. For sedation I recommend Kava Kava; you get a relaxed and at large amounts you feel drunk along with some sedation. I found Kava Kava with ambien helps put me to sleep at night.

That's all I can tell you.. There's always Kratom too ;)

I'll look into Kava Kava and Kratom, but I'm pretty sure they are banned here and I may not be able to get them. Here's a quick plan I made up, and I'm currently researching and developing it. I'll add and remove things as I go, and Im learning heaps researching everything. Anyway, all constructive criticism is welcome.

Supplements:

Serotonin:

• 5-HTP (Metabolized into Seretonin)
  • SAM-e (Increases Serotonin & Dopamine Neurotransmitters)

Dopamine:
  • D-Phenylalanine (Precursor to L-Tyrosine, stops breakdown of Enkephalin (Possibly mild Opiate-like buzz) AND/OR
  • L-Tyrosine (Precursor to L-DOPA) AND/OR
  • L-DOPA (Metabolized into Dopamine)

Health/Other:
  • Multi Vitamin & Minerals (What I lack in my diet/To stay healthy)
  • Omega 3 (Good for the brain & for Depression)
  • Protein (Muscle Development & Exercise/Increased Endorphins)
  • Dietry Fibre (Food digestion/Health)

Possible Drugs/Extracts/Supplements:
  • Ginkgo (Increases bloodflow and mental clarity/focus) (DON'T MIX WITH BLOOD THINNERS!)
  • Gingseng (Natural Stimulant/Can produce Euphoria/Reduces Stress)
  • St. John's Wort (Naturally acts as a MAOI inhibiter)

Diet/Lifestyle:
  • Workout/More Exercise (Increased Endorphins)
  • More Protein (Especially "Complete Protein")
  • More Fibre
  • More Vegetables

Last edited:

I had a reasonable read up on Gingseng and I'm still a bit unsure of how it would assist things. Wikipedia says "Euphoria" is side effect, but that's the only positive one I saw. Otherwise what else does this do?

Also, what's some Dopamine precusor supplements that are safe to use? I just finished reading big threads about how some of them release Dopamine to your whole brain, which is really bad, and how others give you a semi-Opiate buzz by inhibiting certain things...

A note on dopamine and serotonin... it's known that serotonin agonists depress dopamine production and vice versa (although not as much). I don't think you can boost both at the same time. I wouldn't take all your supplements at the same time, maybe try out them separately, and see if you get good benefits from one in particular.

Also be careful with Sam-e and st. johns wort, as they can have bad interactions with other stuff (especially since SJW is an MAOI)

I took phenylalanine and 5-htp at the same time and had no negative effects, but i had been taking 5-htp for a long time.

Again, the people in healthy living forum, or advanced drug discussion forum can help you more with what's safe/not safe.

A note on dopamine and serotonin... it's known that serotonin agonists depress dopamine production and vice versa (although not as much). I don't think you can boost both at the same time. I wouldn't take all your supplements at the same time, maybe try out them separately, and see if you get good benefits from one in particular.

Also be careful with Sam-e and st. johns wort, as they can have bad interactions with other stuff (especially since SJW is an MAOI)

I took phenylalanine and 5-htp at the same time and had no negative effects, but i had been taking 5-htp for a long time.

Again, the people in healthy living forum, or advanced drug discussion forum can help you more with what's safe/not safe.

I know with St. John's Wort that it can act as a MAOI, but I thought SAM-E only had the odd bad interaction. How often did you take Phenylanine? And did you notice anything from it? Otherwise, was 5-HTP useful? Can you actually notice obvious difference during the days/weeks/months using these supplements? I wont take all of those things, as I'll try get most of it from my diet. I still want Multi-Vitamin's and the Seretonin & Dopamine related stuff.

I would have put this in Advanced Discussion but I didn't think I am really of that calibur when it comes to this type of stuff. Maybe I'll post a seperate discussion on the topic of supplementing Dopamine and Seretonin at the same time, in Advanced Discussion this time. I'll probably get a lot of the answers I need from here, there... So we'll see!

A b12 complex is good for you..
Makes your skin look good and helps speed up your metabolism

Bananas=Tyrosine -->L-dopa --> Dopamine

We all like Dopamine so eat Bananas and take a b12 complex

A b12 complex is good for you..
Makes your skin look good and helps speed up your metabolism

Bananas=Tyrosine -->L-dopa --> Dopamine

We all like Dopamine so eat Bananas and take a b12 complex

I'll definitely try and eat plenty of Banana's, and I assume B12 will be in any high grade Multi-Vitamin/Mineral supplement. Still, a supplement for D-Phenylalanine would be equally effective, if not several times more, wouldn't it? Especially since I'm not always in the situation where I have access to good, healthy food.

Ya it should be in a good supplement from GNC or elsewhere.. Just make sure it says "complex" or has several types of B vitamins in it.. I took some stuff called solotron when i use to lift..

Ya its hard to eat good food specially if your in school.. Im just bout done with school.. be nice to have some skinny blond cooking meat and taters all day..

solution for dopamine & serotonin

Hey guys, I want to start taking some supplements for certain things such as mood stability and general motivation. I know there's no miracle pill, but I have a pretty bad diet (low hunger, no access to good food regularly). I know there's 100's of bodgy supplements (like Caffeine ones etc.), but I only want stuff that's more so scientifically proven to be beneficial. I don't want to just trick my body, I want to do it properly, how it would do it itself (a bit ironic I know).

My current ideas are:

Multi-Vitamin Tablets - I have an incomplete and probably not very nutritional diet, so I assume these would be useful. I will try to work on a better diet though.

5-HTP (or some sort of Seretonin supplement) - I've heard these are good for regulating mood, anxiety and motivation and may also reduce the harshness of some drug comedowns.

Dopamine Supplement's - I'm not sure if there's much in the way of these, but I understand that the Seretonin supplements may also increase Dopamine production. However, if there's anything I can take for this area, it would likely aid me in being a more motivated, concentrated person, right?

This is just a roughly thought up "plan" to sort of enhance my every day life. I figured these are all crutial chemicals to maintain mood, motivation etc., so by increasing my production/access to them, I'll probably function better and suffer less from comedowns on the odd occasions I take drugs. I guess either way I'm going to learn a lot from this thread...

Check my reply to your post at http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=9050646#post9050646

I am sure you won't be disappointed :)