• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's a "hard drug"?

hydro and codeine both metabolize to morphine in your stomach?

Is that true?

I'm sure some drugs that are considered hard can have medical application. Heroin is a legitimate (if extremely controlled) painkiller in the UK, and meth can be prescribed as Desoxyn. The critical factors to consider are potential for addiction, and their impact on your health. Too many other criteria can be misleading, although in the end its pretty subjective.

Though by these criteria tobacco and alcohol should be considered hard drugs, which they generally aren't. Oh well.

(Also, I think hydrocodone converts into hydromorphone, while codeine converts into morphine. Both are prodrugs as I recall)

People in my drug circles refer to the 'hard drugs' as Meth, Heroin and Cocaine. I guess they mean the ones that are very addictive.

Drugs aren't hard. They are chemicals.

I've snorted methamp, shot/smoked cocaine, shot heroin, and I'm not much different now than from how I was before. I don't see what the demonisation is all about. People react differently to different things.

"hard drugs" is a very subjective term. to most i guess it would be a drug you fear or wouldnt want to take due to addiction, side effects, potency, etc; I dont think LSD is one at all. Id consider meth one and heroin as well. i will probably do coke so i dont think it is one. bottom line is if you feel comfortable with the substance and feel you can safely use it (study up) its not a "hard drug"

I don't even know what lortab is (it's either not available in my country, or it's called something else), but I'd consider a hard drug to be any substance that's highly addictive, damaging, and has no legitimate medical purpose. Meth, heroin, and so on. Usually the ones listed under Schedule I or II of the Controlled Substances Act in the USA (or under Class A of the Misuse of Drugs Act here in New Zealand)

I'd agree with you pretty much. A hard drug is extremely addictive, damaging and has little use medically. Even though Shambles is correct in saying heroin and meth have medical uses, there are alternatives that are less addictive and damaging (generally speaking).

I would avoid mentioning the Controlled Substance Act though. I have shit more legitimate documents. Consider Schedule I substances. The "worst of the worst". Heroin, LSD, Marijuana, all three on that list. Would anyone really argue "LSD, Weed, Heroin, meh, all the same"? Hell, tylenol is more dangerous than LSD or marijuana.

Meanwhile all the way down in Schedule IV, we have benzos like Xanax and Valium.

While on the subject, is DXM even on the list?

If it weren't so long (Controlled Sumstances Act) I'd suggest a script on the page that automatically replaces the word "stupid" with "Controlled Substances Act". It fits the definition of stupid better than the word itself.

I'd agree with you pretty much. A hard drug is extremely addictive, damaging and has little use medically. Even though Shambles is correct in saying heroin and meth have medical uses, there are alternatives that are less addictive and damaging (generally speaking).

I would avoid mentioning the Controlled Substance Act though. I have shit more legitimate documents. Consider Schedule I substances. The "worst of the worst". Heroin, LSD, Marijuana, all three on that list. Would anyone really argue "LSD, Weed, Heroin, meh, all the same"? Hell, tylenol is more dangerous than LSD or marijuana.

Meanwhile all the way down in Schedule IV, we have benzos like Xanax and Valium.

If it weren't so long (Controlled Sumstances Act) I'd suggest a script on the page that automatically replaces the word "stupid" with "Controlled Substances Act". It fits the definition of stupid better than the word itself.

dont be so dam controlled substance act man! jk, is that true about tylenol?

Not to mention the Arsenic (or was it Cyanide?) that somehow finds it way into the pills...

Not to mention the Arsenic (or was it Cyanide?) that somehow finds it way into the pills...

I assume you mean that psycho who killed those people years back? It was cyanide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

There was also strychnine found shortly thereafter I think.

At any rate, yeah, tylenol is bad enough for you, nevermind the whackjobs poisoning the pills. Stick with weed for headaches. You'll have a much lower chance of death (statistically), I assure you.

*in all serious though, it's not like the average person need live in fear of tylenol, lol. Just saying, objectively, it kills more people each year than either LSD or marijuana, and is in fact the leading cause of acute liver failure in the US, resulting in over three times as many cases as all other drugs combined (including alcohol).

I assume you mean that psycho who killed those people years back? It was cyanide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

There was also strychnine found shortly thereafter I think.

At any rate, yeah, tylenol is bad enough for you, nevermind the whackjobs poisoning the pills. Stick with weed for headaches. You'll have a much lower chance of death (statistically), I assure you.

*in all serious though, it's not like the average person need live in fear of tylenol, lol. Just saying, objectively, it kills more people each year than either LSD or marijuana, and is in fact the leading cause of acute liver failure in the US, resulting in over three times as many cases as all other drugs combined (including alcohol).

I live in fear of tylenol.. lol

Yeah, I was reading about the Controlled Substances Act on Wikipedia before I posted here, and it sounds pretty fucked up. I can't believe it rates weed on par with meth and heroin!

Personally, I think New Zealand's Misuse of Drugs Act is a lot more sensible (although ideally I'd like to see all drugs de-criminalized!). It places the most harmful drugs in the Class A category - LSD, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc. Then the slightly less risky drugs in the Class B category - morphine, hydromorphone, amphetamine, MDMA, etc. And finally the least damaging drugs in the Class C category - cannabis, barbiturates, and benzos. I'd argue that benzos and barbiturates are actually more damaging than other Class C drugs, but I suppose their medical purposes justify them being Class C.

Someone made the comment that they wanted to stay away from "hard drugs like opiates". I'm sure when you're doing something like shooting up heroin, or doing acid, that's "hard". Just wondering what else falls into that category, and what really makes something a 'hard' drug?

I'm asking because I just simply don't know what a 'hard drug' entails, but I hear that word a lot.

Lortab is an opiate, but it wouldn't be a 'hard' drug.. or would it?

hard drugs are any drugs that give you an intense euphoria for your first time trying them, and encourage you to do a little bit more each time you get a hold of it to reach that same euphoria, until the amount of your first dosing just seems ridiculous, but if it's all you have then you'll do it anyways, because you need it, because if you try to stop it will torture you with pain and misery until you find it again, any way you can, and if you can't get it any more, it doesn't mean you won't, because you will stop at nothing to get it again.

that's a hard drug. the drugs that have a reasonable scheduled control.

hydro and codeine both metabolize to morphine in your stomach?

Is that true?

im pretty sure that some of codeine converts to morphine. However, i dont think hydrocodone converts to morphine. It is metabolized to hydromorphone, exclusively i believe but dont quote it on me.

As said earlier in the thread, hard drug is not a definite term. It was created by anti-drug programs. Ive even seen drugs such as ecstasy and LSD labelled as hard drugs which anyone with knowledge or experience with them would know otherwise.

whether it is true or not, I've noticed that people consider hard drugs anything that has a shady culture with it. Rarely will it be a RX, marijuana, or psychedelics (possibly some might include acid as "hard"). Mostly it is coke, crack, heroin, meth.

im pretty sure that some of codeine converts to morphine. However, i dont think hydrocodone converts to morphine. It is metabolized to hydromorphone, exclusively i believe but dont quote it on me.

hydrocodone metabolizes into hydromorphone and norhydrocodone.

A 2-3 years old slate of hash is literally a hard drug. It makes you lose your teeth when trying to break it into smaller amounts. :D