• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids will lyrica help with opiate withdrawal?

ohhyaaa

Ex-Bluelighter
Well yaa so my question is pretty basic. I've never taken Lyrica but I have access to it. I'm going to start my detox today (2-5 bag a day). I don't know if Lyrica works on other receptors like Tramadol does or even if Lyrica is an opiate at all. One time I took a bunch of benadryl (can't remember how much exactly) to combat opiate withdrawals, that was a bad idea because it just threw me in a hazey hell hole that did more damage than good. If anyone is familiar with Lyrica tell me a good dose too, I mean I've read up on it here and 600mg sounds good???

Can you not try tapering your dose down a little before you detox.

When I realise its time to get back on subutex, I always go 3-4 days on just 1 - 1.5 bags a day. I find it seems to help quite a lot rather than just jumping off at 5 bags a day.

I don't think it's an opiate. However, I do believe it can make opiate withdrawal a bit more do-able. Kind of like a benzo would. In other words, it'll make you feel a little better and forget (not forget-as that's impossible, but loosen up a bit and tend not to focus as much on) about the w/d's. I think it's worth a shot trying.

It isn't an opiate. It will help some of the withdrawl though. I quite like Lyrica myself.

Thanks for the help guys. Ya I have been tapering last two days I've only done a bag just to scrape by.

Works on similar recptors to benzos so the anxiety will be lower. Physical WD will be the same though cause its not an opiate. Start low, like 25mg-50mg three times a day and taper up the lyrica as the WD gets worst. Try not to go over 300mg a day and space your doses every 4-6 hours but if they help you could probably push it up to 600mg a day. Make sure you taper down the lyrica when you start to feel better. Best of luck mate, hope you get through it.

I have access to a lot of lyrica, and have been trying to quit opioids for a while. I use Oxymorphone and morphine. I went from 200mgs im of morphine to nothing about 3 days ago. I have been taking 150mg of lyrica every 8 hours religously. I have not thrown up, had the chills or night sweats or that overall feeling of ickyness. I usually have really bad withdrawls from the stuff so i can say that the lyrica is definately working on me. Will have to see how it goes from here. I am just a little shakey, but i would be moreso without it!

wow, that's great to hear opana man! i'm sure anyone here addicted to opiates or potentially facing w/ds likes to hear encouraging experiences about using other meds to effectively decrease the symptoms.

Lyrica DOES help opioid withdrawals. It reduces the anxiety symptoms and even though it isn't an opiate, it does help with some of the pain. Also helps for insomnia. Doses like 450-600mg are helpful.

I Love Lyrica and yes it helps with the opiate withdrawals. Lyrica is a schedule V controlled substance. while it is not an opiate be careful with higher doses. This drug will put you in a blackout if you take enough. One note I would like to make that I feel is extremely important. Do not mix Lyrica with methadone. And do not mix Lyrica with Benzo's. These are deadly combinations. My wife died from mixing a relatively small dose of klonopine and lyrica. Methadone users are familiar with the paper you sign not to mix methadone with xanax right? Well I am a firm beliver that that same form should exist with Lyica and methadone. A deadly combination.

Yes lyrica is a miracle drug and helps with both opiate and benzo withdrawls, I would say it cures the dope sickm it is truely amazing, i was on a bundle a day and then about 20 percocets a day for 2 weeks and just quit because SWIM has a urine test coming up and i took about 600 mg of lyrica and i cant even tell im dope sick SWIM is not puking or shitting and in any pain.

I love taking Lyrica,but I find taking it 5 or so days in a row you build a tolerance very quick, for me it's one of those drugs that after a while you can't tell you are taking it,but you can sure tell if you miss a dose. I have a close friend who always says higher doses like 300 mgs and up help with his methadone withdrawels. I am rx'ed 900 mg's a day for nerve pain but do not take it everyday. I try to take it about once a week and have a "happy day". If I hurt and can't sleep I will take it but my nerve pain seems to be getting better on it's own. I also take methadone daily and am thinking of stock piling m lyrica if it really does help in case there ever comes a day I have to stop the methadone.I take 85 mg's of methadone a day.That may by why I don't have leg pains anymore too:) I am glad I found thid thread because my buddy has been telling me they help methadone w/d's forever!

Last edited:
Lyrica? I'll have to try this. What effects does it usually have? Are benzos still better?

Lyrica absolutely helps if not completely eliminates opiate withdrawal symptoms.. I kind of have a high tolerance to it so I take 1000-1200mgs at night to sleep and 500-600 mgs during the day.. But for first time users I'd think 300 mgs during the day and 700-800 mgd at night would be good...but keep I'm mind high doses of lyrica makes you very intoxicated feeling, you lose control of motor skills and get a deep body buzz..pretty damn cool actually .. As long as you have nothing to do lol

I forgot to add that it takes about 1 1/2 hours for the lyrica to start to kick in and it lasts a good 12 hours..

Be careful using Lyrica..... Especially if not tapering up. People have literally blacked out and fallen like a board onto the cement if they didnt taper up. Last time the dosage was 200mg's (The largest made single unit). The 135 pound guy literally was fine then BOOM.......

It works pretty good for opiate withdrawals. I was on 15-50mg of oxy ir for a long time, switching between hydrocodone whenever I couldn't get the oxys. I'm rx'ed 200mg of lyrica twice a day. I stopped a few times with the lyrica, but relapsed a few times. I stopped the oyxs on Friday, took 400 mg, because I have a tolerance, stopped all the withdrawal!! Today is Saturday night, and I took about 600mg today, and still feel fine, no physical withdrawal just some back pain, I do stretching and take some Advil, and Tylenol it helps. It really makes me tired, keep yawning all day, and feels "drunky" but much better than the withdrawal from the pills. Hopefully this is the final time I do this to myself, its gonna be rough but manageable with the lyrica!!

yes it works. It istn magic, is not going the WD to disappear, but it lows the WD, like if, from 0 to 10 you are on a 7 WD, after lyrica you may feel it like 4 or 5 . Catapresan also works, and Codeine also works even thats an oppie so a fast "coming down" with codeine is smart, unless you want your WD coming longer

but yeah, lyrica works with some of the WD symptons. I feel my anxiety comes down with lyrica, pe

Lyrica is amazing for opiate WDs in high doses, like 450-600mg +. Nearly makes all the symptoms disappear for me. But not so good for long WDs like methadone. The lyrica is addictive in itself and should not be used consequetively for more than a week. Also tolerance builds fast and the effect becomes less and less helpful each day.

Use for the worst of the WDs and discontinue use. Use benzos for a couple of days after and finish med regime.

I used lyrica too much to come off a Xanax binge. Now I am nearly at the end of a taper. I can tell you it is definately addictive physically,

I know this post is years old but my pain mgmt has me on oxy, opana, lyrica and xanax. I've never had a problem at all other than it does get me tired at ten pm but after working all I find that normal. That is just my experience so be carefull!
[email protected]