• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

I don't get why you guys don't use .1's. Are they too tight or something?

I can't find a source for them. I would use 0.1 um micron filters, either after using a 0.22um, or alone. I have seen them online at one website, but the minimum order was like a 150 quantity. I don't have that much money sadly enough.

Most sites carry the 0.22um and 0.45um.

^Sure do CH!

Pall Acrodisc 13mm Sterile 0.2um Supor (PES) Membrane & Whatman Puradisc 13mm Sterile 0.2um PES Membrane filters are the ones I have the most experience with. I have used these for Pills, Dope & Coke many hundreds of times over the years and would not inject without one!

Do you like Pall or Whatman brand better?

I don't get why you guys don't use .1's. Are they too tight or something?

I have used 0.1um Wheel Filters before, they work just fine IMO.

They are usually quite abit more expensive then the 0.2um filters. The extra cost really isn't necessary due to the fact that the 0.2um's get the job done just fine.

Ok cool, because I really don't feel like paying $3 a pop and for a minimum of 1000.

I have used 0.1um Wheel Filters before, they work just fine IMO.

They are usually quite abit more expensive then the 0.2um filters. The extra cost really isn't necessary due to the fact that the 0.2um's get the job done just fine.

For most drugs, yes, 0.22um get the job done just fine. However, I think there would be added benefit with a 0.1um micron filter for Suboxone specifically.

Corn starch varies in size, however, ranges from 0.1um and up. I figure a 0.22um filter gets most of the corn starch out, but there's probably some finer bits left of it. I'd prefer to get all of it out.

Then again, I can't be sure if there are just different sized particles of cornstarch and whether or not all of the corn starch particles are smaller or larger than 0.22um.

Why was your suboxone solution still partially orange? Is that the die. Why isn't all of it filtered if it is. (Aside from the filter not being small enough).

Do you like Pall or Whatman brand better?

I like the Pall brand filters better, although some of this has to do with the fact that they are easily accessible to me. They are very high quality mind you.

I'm gonna post some info I posted at Opiophile in the "Wheel Filters" sticky thread in the Harm Reduction Forum below.

Why was your suboxone solution still partially orange? Is that the die. Why isn't all of it filtered if it is. (Aside from the filter not being small enough).

Because the coloring agent is fine enough to pass through the 0.22um filter, and still re-solidify after passing through, I kid you not.

I honestly don't care though, it being orange helps me distinguish it from other substances.

I like the Pall brand filters better, although some of this has to do with the fact that they are easily accessible to me. They are very high quality mind you.

I'm gonna post some info I posted at Opiophile in the "Wheel Filters" sticky thread in the Harm Reduction Forum below.

Cool! I'll have to look into it.

Do the Pall brand have 3 layers of filters like the Whatman brand?

I take it that the dye isn't really that bad for you? Versus I don't know, completely RADIO FUCKING ACTIVE dye used in scans?

To all my fellow Canadian IV users that cannot find a good source of quality Sterile Syringe Filters (Micron/Wheel Filters) to purchase, well look no further!

Pall Acrodisc Supor (PES membrane) Sterile 13mm 0.2 µm 75/pkg. Part# 4602
www.labfilters.pall.com/catalog/laboratory_19990.asp

I have been using these for over 6 years now and they are the easiest and quickest for me to get. This combined the quality make these filters my favourite.
These are distributed by:

VWR International Ltd. (Canada)
www.vwrcanlab.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=CA28143-309&inE=1&highlight=CA28143-309

Customer Service:
1-800-932-5000

Mississauga location:
1-877-897-6377

I order my filters directly from VWR's Mississauga warehouse and receive them in 2 business days. VWR has a few warehouses throughout Canada so shipping should be quick wherever you are.

What I like to do is prepare a few days worth of shots with these filters in a Sealed Sterile 10ml Vial then toss the filter. If I were preparing more then 10ml at once I would use a 25mm filter. Since I never prepare more then 10ml at a time, I prefer the 13mm filter due to the much lower solution hold-up volume.

Below are the other brands of Sterile Syringe Filters I have used:

Millipore Millex Durapore GV (PVDF membrane) Sterile 13mm 0.22 µm 100/pkg. Part# SLGV013SL
www.millipore.com/userguides.nsf/a7...c26ebd0f7988525751a0071a3f9/$FILE/pr02323.pdf

Whatman Puradisc 13 (PES membrane) Sterile 13mm 0.2 µm 50/pkg. Part# 6780-1302
www.whatman.com/PuradiscSyringeFilters.aspx

Whatman Puradisc 13 (Nylon membrane) Sterile 13mm 0.1 µm 50/pkg. Part# 6786-1301

Whatman Puradisc 4 (Nylon membrane) Sterile 4mm 0.2 µm 50/pkg. Part# 6786-0402

All of the filters listed above have worked quite well IMO. The 4mm Puradisc is only able to filter a maximum of 2ml of fluid, therefore I would use a new one for each shot.

Another Syringe Filter I use is:

Whatman GD/X 13 (PES membrane) Non-sterile 13mm 0.45 µm, 150/pkg. Part# 6876-1304
www.whatman.com/GDXSyringeFilters.aspx

I did not include this filter in the list because it is Non-sterile. The GD/X series have a unique 3 layer pre-filter stack of 10 µm, 1 µm & 0.7 µm pore size media. This is followed by the final membrane, which in this case is 0.45 µm. I use these for pre-filtering pills with alot of fillers such as Oxycontin & Opana before filtering through a Sterile 0.2 µm filter.

Some of the Whatman GD/X series are availible in Sterile form, but only in the 25mm size. This is just too large for my purpose due to the much larger Hold-up volume. If the 13mm size were availible in Sterile form, it would most definitey be my first choice overall.

There are many different types of membranes used in Syringe Filters. The 4 types listed below are HYDROPHILIC, and are most suitible for filtering water soluble drugs:

1. PES (Polyethersulfone) ~ Best
2. PVDF (Polyvinylidene difluoride) ~ Better
3. CA (Cellulose Acetate) ~ Good
4. Nylon ~ Fair

When filtering pills, ALWAYS pre-filter through tightly rolled dental cotton first to avoid clogging the filter. I use a 2ml glass eye dropper to draw the solution through a dental cotton, then backload the filter syringe with this. A 1cc fit with cottons stuffed in to the 20-30 unit mark works very well also.

Hopefully this information will been helpful to somebody here!

Last edited:
Those GD/Xs sound ideal for all "pre-filtering". If only they were smaller, seriously.

Those GD/Xs sound ideal for all "pre-filtering". If only they were smaller, seriously.

What do you mean by smaller?

The diameter of the filter or the pore size?

The Whatman Puradisc 4's that I spoke of in my post above are great for single shots.

I honestly don't see myself using anything bigger than .1um if what CH was saying about corn starch in certain pills (like suboxone) is true. Hell I'd especially use them for oxycontin.

This is a guide from an excellent organisation with years of experience teaching people how to use micron filters.

Wheel filters for injectors

Filters are a great way to reduce some of the less pleasant possibilities when injecting speed, heroin, benzos or other illicit drugs. They still let the drug through, but get rid of many impurities, fungi and bacteria for a cleaner shot.

Most pills like prescription opiates or benzos have things like chalk and wax in them, and illicit drugs like speed are usually cut with all sorts of stuff you don’t want in your veins. Keeping all the crap out of your blood will help avoid vein problems like collapsed veins abscesses, infections, dirty tastes, disease and septicemia.

wheel-filter-1-drugs.jpg

Wash your hands and work area. Draw 2ml of sterile water, then fit the filter on and push the water through to moisten the filter.

wheel-filter-2-drugs.jpg

Prepare your mix with 1ml of water per 1mg of substance. Leave to sit so the mix settles to the bottom, then draw up through a cotton filter using a large guage needle.

wheel-filter-3-drugs.jpg

Take the large gauge needle off, and place the wheel filter on. Dispose of that used needle properly!

wheel-filter-4-drugs.jpg

Push the mix through the filter into a clean spoon, or straight into another syringe (with a small tip on so you don’t lose your gear!)

wheel-filter-5-drugs.jpg

Do not reuse filters and make sure you only ‘pushed’ the mix through the filter. Dispose of everything after use. Now you are ready to inject!

wheel-filter-6-drugs.jpg

Enjoy! Using filters WILL lessen health risks, but remember snorting, shafting, swallowing or smoking will always be safer than injecting.

Dirty hits

You may like the drug, but a dirty hit can make you very sick. Take it from someone who’s been there...

“I’ve had a dirty hit that made me feel like my brain and skin were on fire, and that my head was going to explode. Dirty hits are dangerous and very frightening, so always use a new filter every time... your life may depend on it!” J.O.

Even reusing a filter four hours later is enough time for bacteria and fungi to appear and cause a dirty hit. Also, some think another hit can sort a dirty one out, but it will probably only make things worse.

Wheel filters fit between the syringe and needle tip and come in a range of sizes to suit your use. They are available for a small charge at all QuIHN NSPs. Staff can show you how to use them too. Remember viruses are too small to be filtered so filters are no excuse to reuse syringes or drop the hygiene standards! Hep C and HIV laugh in the face of even the finest wheel filter.

A few tips on using wheel filters

Bigger syringes a lots of water will make the job easier, say 5ml or 10ml. You should not heat your mix up when using a filter. Always prime the filter with sterile water so it is less likely to clog (see below). Don’t rush the filter, but use a gentle consistent pressure. You can get any dregs out by pushing a little sterile water through the filter, but always the same direction as you put the original mix through. Wheel filters are made to be used once only, and in one direction only.

Which filter?

There are quite a few different sizes around. These sizes are a guide only and will depend on whether what any needle and syringe outlets in your area stock, if any.

0.2 micron wheel filter

The only filter that removes bacteria! Good filter for bake or homebake, crystal amphetamine (white speed), methadone liquid or cocaine.

0.8 micron wheel filter

Suitable for most substances, including MS-Contin, Subutex, Kapanol, Oxy-contin and amphetamine sulphate (brown or discoloured speed).

5.0 micron wheel filter

This is a big mother intended to get rid of the chalk from prescription tablets like benzos, dexamphetamines, physeptone and other recreational drugs like ecstasy. Proceed to the smaller filter after this one.

I don’t have a wheel filter!

If you can’t get a wheel filter from a needle and sryinge outlet in your area, use the filters they can provide. Alternatives such as cigarette filters, cotton wool or tampons involve the risks of injecting small particles that break off as you filter the mix.

I honestly don't see myself using anything bigger than .1um if what CH was saying about corn starch in certain pills (like suboxone) is true. Hell I'd especially use them for oxycontin.

I think they use corn starch primarily in pills that are for sublingual use. Maybe I'm wrong. 0.22um is fine for talc based pills I think, since talc will be completely removed with a 0.22um.

I think OC's are talc based, I'd have to check if they use corn starch in it.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost.php?p=7946639&postcount=25

Did you read the first page? ;)
I was actually looking for that post I didn't remember it was in this thread.

But I was thinking. Is it possible to dissolve the H into some alcohol, run it through the micron filter and put it in a dish and let the alcohol evaporate for some purer H?

I was actually looking for that post I didn't remember it was in this thread.

But I was thinking. Is it possible to dissolve the H into some alcohol, run it through the micron filter and put it in a dish and let the alcohol evaporate for some purer H?

That is probably the easiest way to do it yeah. You would be right.

You would need pure isopropyl alcohol. Regular rubbing alcohol has water in it, and that's enough to hydrolyze the H I am sure. If it wouldn't hydrolyze it that much you could use it, but it might be easier just to get 99%-100% isopropyl alcohol.

BTW if you do that and notice a much smaller quantity don't be alarmed. :)