• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

Here's a tip you might want to try/include in the writeup. For a solid pre filter to get all the junk out that would clog the micron simply stuff a cotton ball or two down the barrel of the large syringe that is connected to the micron. The cotton will take care of all the big particles (and you would be surprised how great this is on its own for some pills- colored pill solutions come out clear) and the micron will do the fine detailing.

Here's a tip you might want to try/include in the writeup. For a solid pre filter to get all the junk out that would clog the micron simply stuff a cotton ball or two down the barrel of the large syringe that is connected to the micron. The cotton will take care of all the big particles (and you would be surprised how great this is on its own for some pills- colored pill solutions come out clear) and the micron will do the fine detailing.

Yeah I actually think this is a great idea. Never thought of that actually. Saves time and cost of additional filters. Awesome!! :) The only concern I have is keeping the cotton ball fixed at the end of the barrel if you are using a large diameter syringe. If the solution requires a bit of agitation (for uncrushed pills) the cotton ball can dislodge and get mixed into the suspension. It wouldn't do much harm, but would be kinda annoying if it happened. Nonetheless, good benefit/risk factor! :D

I think ^^ that was VERY good post with alot of very good information. Thanks for all your tips ED50of0.

Thanks for the feedback, jamesBrown. I am really glad you found the ideas helpful! :)

Having read just over half of the posts today, I realised captain already mentioned the inverted filtering method a few times near the beginning of the thread (my apologies). One caveat though, make sure the recipient vial has negative pressure maintained in it before injecting the final solution into it. Since by having the stopper upside down, any positive pressure MAY push out your hard-earned solution from where the needle punctures the stopper (this is especially true for larger volumes). The easiest way to ensure this doesn't happen is to:

1. If you are starting with an empty vial, inject the total volume of solvent you want in the end product into the vial first.
2. Equalize the pressure by detaching the syringe from the needle, which will let air out of the vial through the needle.
3. Attach a wheel filter to your syringe containing the pills.
4. Then attach this setup to the needle still stuck inside the recipient vial.
5. Draw your solution (slowly) from the vial into your syringe which will double to wet your filter and backwash any residue that be stuck to the inner side of it during production. If your solvent is sterile and contains no other percipitants, I don't think this will affect your filter. (can anyone confirm that filters can handle blackflushing with just solvent without affecting performance?)
6. Finally, carefully mix your suspension, let settle, and filter. Keeping the needle inside the vial to maintain pressure.

Alternatively, if you have a relatively short vial and have a long clean needle handy, you can skip most of the steps above and just stick a second syringe-less needle that's long enough to reach the end of the vial to let the air out when injecting your final product. I will have to draw a quick diagram to illustrate what I'm suggesting.
NSFW:
filtration.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I actually think this is a great idea. Never thought of that actually. Saves time and cost of additional filters. Awesome!! :) The only concern I have is keeping the cotton ball fixed at the end of the barrel if you are using a large diameter syringe. If the solution requires a bit of agitation (for uncrushed pills) the cotton ball can dislodge and get mixed into the suspension. It wouldn't do much harm, but would be kinda annoying if it happened. Nonetheless, good benefit/risk factor! :D.

Well my best answer is to crush the pills first then mix and throw in the syringe, Cold shaking only works for sublingual pills unless there is some other magical pill that dissolves fast.

I know Opana 10mgs dissolve very well while generic hydromorphone 4mgs take a lot of effort to crush. For hard to crush pills throw them in a clean shot glass and pound them with the back of a clean screwdriver to make an awesome little mortar and pestle.,

In my experience, this doesn't seem to be a problem. You can let the air get back into the syringe as you are filtering. If there is any extra air from the filtration process, you can stick a luer lock needle into the vial by itself, and then screw on the syringe to remove the liquid.

Does anyone have any suggestions on filtration techniques on heroin because I'd love to be safer in my use, but micron filters aren't a realistic option as I'd have to filter each shot individually since heroin can't sit in a solution for very long without hydrolyzing into morphine. Using a new filter each time isn't financially feasible for me and re-using them is contrary to what I'm trying to achieve here. I try to use new cottons each time that I get from a q-tip unless I'm out and I don't have a fresh one on me since I don't really have the self control to wait until I get home to use.....

To sum my question up, is there anything better beyond using cotton from a q-tip or the cottons they give out at exchanges to filter my shots with since using new microns every time isn't possible for me and storing a solution isn't either?

Using compacted cotton, or coffee filters, is the best route to go for filtering heroin.

If you can micron filter each shot, that's great, but I certainly couldn't afford doing that, and it sounds like it isn't practical for you either.

Thanks a lot for the info C.H. Do you have any tips on filtering pills when lacking a micron filter? All I have is 1/2CC rigs so stuffing a large syringe with cotton and backloading isn't a possibility, though I will see if the exchange has anything helpful in that regard when I go there. I don't usually do any pills, but if I happen to come across something like Dilaudid, it's tough for me to refuse them. If I ever have extra money laying around, I'll definitely invest in a few luer lock syringe and some microns, but having extra money is an even that rarely occurs when you're unemployed.

^^
If you're gonna bang pills you're gonna need a bigger fit then 1/2cc bro. Get yourself some 1cc insulin and 3cc Luer-Lok syringes with 29-31g tips.

I don't usually do it, it's a very rare occasion that it happens. Though I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggested next time I had a little extra cash to do so. I just wanted a few tips in case I happen to have some sort of pill in the future.

Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't shoot pills without micron filters.

Compacted cotton/coffee filters are a must if you are still going to do it though.

Amazing guide.

Captain, I just had to say, even though its been years since I posted, I read this site almost everyday, and harm reduction, etc. is something I'm very passionate about. (I was the junkie that started my own underground needle exchange/handout here on the NC coast).

Anyways, I just had to say what an amazing thing your guides and activity on bluelight is doing for not just this VB, but the Internet, and people worldwide.

In the world of chem/pharm use, legal or otherwise, information can mean the difference between life and death. As my town's resident drug geek, I just wanted to give you this heartfelt (and long-winded) thanks for what you're doing. Keep it up!

-Custom

PMed you CH about ordering some micron filters and all the needed supplies from you, get back to me if you're still doing that and don't mind shipping to Canada...thanks.

Captain, I just had to say, even though its been years since I posted, I read this site almost everyday, and harm reduction, etc. is something I'm very passionate about. (I was the junkie that started my own underground needle exchange/handout here on the NC coast).

Anyways, I just had to say what an amazing thing your guides and activity on bluelight is doing for not just this VB, but the Internet, and people worldwide.

In the world of chem/pharm use, legal or otherwise, information can mean the difference between life and death. As my town's resident drug geek, I just wanted to give you this heartfelt (and long-winded) thanks for what you're doing. Keep it up!

-Custom

Thank you!

To keep everyone posted, I am in the middle of creating an Inactive Ingredients database, mostly for people who are interested in snorting/shooting pills. It lists inactive ingredient's water solubility and particle size (if I could even find that...) and then also lists each commonly injected tablet/capsule's inactive ingredients, so you can know what exactly you are injecting with each shot.

I have long micron filtered various PEAs and tryptamines for I.M. administration but am curious as to the efficacy of such concerning pills, namely subutex. I vastly prefer buprenorphine administered via I.M. injection over other ROAs and I am wondering as to others thoughts and experiences concerning the safety of this as a regular thing. I have a stock of .22 micron whatmans.....will this filter out enough binders and fillers in subutex to make it safe for multiple times daily I.M. injection?
I.V. is one thing, but the talc particles < .22 microns sitting in my muscle tissue might give me reason for concern....

Thanks. And great guide CH, bluelight has needed such for a long time.

cheers.

Last edited:
I have long micron filtered various PEAs and tryptamines for I.M. administration but am curious as to the efficacy of such concerning pills, namely subutex. I vastly prefer buprenorphine administered via I.M. injection over other ROAs and I am wondering as to others thoughts and experiences concerning the safety of this as a regular thing. I have a stock of .22 micron whatmans.....will this filter out enough binders and fillers in subutex to make it safe for multiple times daily I.M. injection?
I.V. is one thing, but the talc particles < .22 microns sitting in my muscle tissue might give me reason for concern....

Thanks. And great guide CH, bluelight has needed such for a long time.

cheers.

Subutex (brand name) does not have talc, and the corn starch will be filtered out by a 0.22um micron filter.

I am not 100% sure, but I have thought about IM administration of micron filtered Subutex myself, and I think it's safe. I would do it personally but I don't want to say that it's safe for everybody as I'm not 100% sure.

If you filter properly, use sterile technique when injecting, a new needle every time, I can see it working out all right.

PMed you CH about ordering some micron filters and all the needed supplies from you, get back to me if you're still doing that and don't mind shipping to Canada...thanks.

Hey kurrupt... If your looking for micron filters, I would check these out bro:

Pall Acrodisc Supor (PES) 0.2 µm, 13 mm Sterile 75/pkg. Part#4602
www.vwrcanlab.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=CA28143-309&inE=1&highlight=CA28143-309

VWR International Ltd. (Canada)
www.vwrcanlab.com

Customer Service:
1-800-932-5000

Mississauga location:
1-877-897-6377

A package of 75 filters cost about $180 CAD.

This is the model of filter that I use and I highly recommend them. They are of very high quality and are availible in 25mm & 32mm as well.

Hey kurrupt... If your looking for micron filters, I would check these out bro:

Pall Acrodisc Supor (PES) 0.2 µm, 13 mm Sterile 75/pkg. Part#4602
www.vwrcanlab.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=CA28143-309&inE=1&highlight=CA28143-309

VWR International Ltd. (Canada)
www.vwrcanlab.com

Customer Service:
1-800-932-5000

Mississauga location:
1-877-897-6377

A package of 75 filters cost about $180 CAD.

This is the model of filter that I use and I highly recommend them. They are of very high quality and are availible in 25mm & 32mm as well.

I want to get these my next go-around.

At the moment, $0.9801 USD = $1 CAD. I might wait until the price of the CAD drops, though, that might not happen knowing how weak the US $ is.

Subutex (brand name) does not have talc, and the corn starch will be filtered out by a 0.22um micron filter.

I am not 100% sure, but I have thought about IM administration of micron filtered Subutex myself, and I think it's safe. I would do it personally but I don't want to say that it's safe for everybody as I'm not 100% sure.

If you filter properly, use sterile technique when injecting, a new needle every time, I can see it working out all right.

hey, I didnt notice your reply until now. Thanks. Yeah, my fears were moreso regarding the corn starch, I wasnt aware of the no talc but the corn starch, being organic, was what concerned me more. I kind of reached the same conclusion, strictly conjecture, and went ahead and tried it for a few days. No harm yet;)

hey, I didnt notice your reply until now. Thanks. Yeah, my fears were moreso regarding the corn starch, I wasnt aware of the no talc but the corn starch, being organic, was what concerned me more. I kind of reached the same conclusion, strictly conjecture, and went ahead and tried it for a few days. No harm yet;)

The corn starch swells up in water, causing it to grow in particle size, so it will be filtered out by a micron filter.

I was initially concerned by it too (since, before entering water, corn starch can be smaller than 0.22um), but someone explained to me how that works.