• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Benadryl for anxiety?

zombiesarepeaceful

Bluelighter
Been having massive panic attacks lately. Have no benzos. Anybody use benadryl for a prolonged or short period of time and have a good dosing schedule? I don't want to be delirious, but it takes 100mg at a time to make me feel human again from the panic attacks.

Benadryl is one of those drugs that causes tolerance, thus not working effectively after a while. If you have panic attacks that are severe, I would consult a doctor. If you chose to opt out of taking benzos, there are other medications available for anxiety.

100mg is probably the maximum amount of benadryl that a non-tolerant person should take before delirium kicks it.

ANy ideas how long tolerance takes to develop? I have consulted a doctor, I've been to the er recently and got shot with ativan, but they didn't give me a script for anything. Its hard to really get on benzos...even with the severity of my attacks.

ANy ideas how long tolerance takes to develop? I have consulted a doctor, I've been to the er recently and got shot with ativan, but they didn't give me a script for anything. Its hard to really get on benzos...even with the severity of my attacks.

About a week for me before i stop getting much out of 150 mgs.. but then i just take a break from it for a day or 2 and the tolerances goes away again almost completely.

Man this happened to me recently. Fuck the ER. Seriously. I was in a seriously uncomfortable state. They sent me for xrays, I got them, they looked for the wrong thing. Fixed one thing. Filled me up with mad bags of water, then

SHOT ME UP with benydryl and it made me goofy as balls and basically more uncomfortable. So then they shot me up with ativan too and I was so gone and I needed a cigarette so badly that I just said my hips felt like they were back in place and then left, woke up the next day barely remembering shit and my body was more out of place than before

Becareful on the dose!! if you weigh around 150lb dont take more than 75mg because it will make your heart race increase and more than that can cause hallucinations and delirium!

Try 50mg but dont take it everyday.

Diphenhydramine isn't that great for anxiety. I'd try taking hydroxyzine. It's a lot better.

Plus, I don't really think tolerance builds up to antihistamines, at least as long as you avoid every day/several times a day dosing.

If I took 12.5 to 25mg of hydroxyzine every night, I don't see how I would build up a tolerance to it. Next, I also would hate to take hydroxyzine every night.

Diphenhydramine isn't that great for anxiety. I'd try taking hydroxyzine. It's a lot better.

Plus, I don't really think tolerance builds up to antihistamines, at least as long as you avoid every day/several times a day dosing.

If I took 12.5 to 25mg of hydroxyzine every night, I don't see how I would build up a tolerance to it. Next, I also would hate to take hydroxyzine every night.

Tolerance builds quite quickly by takling benadryl. One person claimed he was taking 1000mg of it a night.

Tolerance builds quite quickly by takling benadryl. One person claimed he was taking 1000mg of it a night.

It depends on what effects you are going for. If you're trying to hallucinate/get high, then yes tolerance will build up. If you're using it to go to sleep, I've never needed more than a certain amount.

Do you have a link where that person was talking about taking 1G of diphenhydramine hcl?

It depends on what effects you are going for. If you're trying to hallucinate/get high, then yes tolerance will build up. If you're using it to go to sleep, I've never needed more than a certain amount.

Do you have a link where that person was talking about taking 1G of diphenhydramine hcl?

Nope, just because it would take too long to look. But if your interested in finding it, I think he posted it about 6 months ago.

Benadryl is an antihistamine, and it's pretty much a fact that tolerance builds. All effects that diphenhydramine produces with be effected by tolerance. My best advice, if you are truly interested, is to research the drug and other H1 histamine antagonists on wikipedia.

Nope, just because it would take too long to look. But if your interested in finding it, I think he posted it about 6 months ago.

Benadryl is an antihistamine, and it's pretty much a fact that tolerance builds. All effects that diphenhydramine produces with be effected by tolerance. My best advice, if you are truly interested, is to research the drug and other H1 histamine antagonists on wikipedia.

Nah, I believe you. I just don't understand why people would take it that frequently. It's not like benadryl is even euphoric or anything. Hydroxyzine is partially euphoric and is great for synergy with opiates. I would imagine taking Benadryl once a day (in ever-increasing amounts) would become dysphoric before it would become any degree of euphoric.

It's not too hard to imagine someone without any other drugs using it though, especially not on this site.

Genereic hydroxyzine caused me an adverse reaction.
Don't know if it's generic in the US, but try Atarax.
I second Captain.Heroin, it's a good med.

they usually prescribe it as vistaril (hydroxyzine pamoate) instead on the HCL (atarax) for anxiety.. i know cuz i was on 50mg 2X daily. and it was the capsules, they seem to work better because they kick in quicker.

BUT its not over the counter you need a script for it.

So for OTC i recomend doxylamine. its used as an anti anxiety in some cases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxylamine

Benadryl can really fuck with your head if you take it regularly. I find there to be a small hangover which can include depression, and even increased jumpiness (anxiety for you maybe). Try herbal remedies if you have a few $s to spend. Valerian Root, Passionflower, Melatonin for sleeping.

Good luck man.

they usually prescribe it as vistaril (hydroxyzine pamoate) instead on the HCL (atarax) for anxiety.. i know cuz i was on 50mg 2X daily. and it was the capsules, they seem to work better because they kick in quicker.

BUT its not over the counter you need a script for it.

So for OTC i recomend doxylamine. its used as an anti anxiety in some cases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxylamine

I got Atarax for sleep, not Vistaril. However Vistaril has been around longer (my grandma saw my meds - she knew hydroxyzine was Vistaril, but she saw my Suboxone and was like "I don't know what this is for - this is new" - HAHAHA %))

You got 50mg 2x day? I'd be asleep all fucking day for quite some time (if I ever gained tolerance to the effects) if I took it according to that regimine!

If you need to pass out for 8+ hours, doxylamine succinate is an excellent OTC alternative. It also probably has anxiolytic properties but it's so strong that even when I snort < 1/4th of a small tablet, I'm "drooling on myself" passed out in minutes. That's why I have only done it like twice when I badly needed sleep.

Really? Was it something that was only in the generic pills? Do you know why you had an adverse reaction?

Thanks, I do think Atarax is a great med.

Benadryl can really fuck with your head if you take it regularly. I find there to be a small hangover which can include depression, and even increased jumpiness (anxiety for you maybe). Try herbal remedies if you have a few $s to spend. Valerian Root, Passionflower, Melatonin for sleeping.

Good luck man.

Yeah diphenhydramine hcl gives me a 'hangover' - which is why I hated using it. If you use a small amount I didn't get any negative effects, but it wasn't enough of an effect to pass out. I never really thought diphenhydramine was good for anxiety for me personally but I can see why others think it has potential for sure, it is very relaxing if you can't relax at the right dose. I just heavily prefer hydroxyzine, or doxylamine.

50mg 2X daily of hydroxyzine isnt really that high of a dose. In some cases it can be used 100mg 4X daily. But it does REALLY potentiate opiates tho.. i have 240 pills saved up from when I used to be scripted them just in case i ever need them for w/d's cuz they help with that also.

Edit: but enough side talk.. back on subject.

If you need to pass out for 8+ hours, doxylamine succinate is an excellent OTC alternative. It also probably has anxiolytic properties but it's so strong that even when I snort < 1/4th of a small tablet, I'm "drooling on myself" passed out in minutes. That's why I have only done it like twice when I badly needed sleep.

Do you notice RLS from snorting/eating doxy? I get severe RLS from kicking and eating moderate amounts/snorting small amount of Diphenhydramine HCL.

If doxy gives RLS in a mechanism similar to Diphen, I can't see it helping me, but if it doesn't I would love to give it a try, as I'm in quite a pinch right now...

Do you notice RLS from snorting/eating doxy? I get severe RLS from kicking and eating moderate amounts/snorting small amount of Diphenhydramine HCL.

If doxy gives RLS in a mechanism similar to Diphen, I can't see it helping me, but if it doesn't I would love to give it a try, as I'm in quite a pinch right now...
Nah, no RLS here. Other people might be able to chime in with their experiences.

I've never gotten RLS from it neither.. and im very prone to RLS because im on a high dose of Zyprexa and that alone can cause RLS but even with the addition of doxylamine still no RLS. But than again i didnt take it multiple nights in a row. so i dont know if it's something that could come out after many nights of use. opposed to just a single night taking it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to grab some, as that would help 10x more than benadryl due to stacking RLS, which is practically solely the reason I'm even still using.

Thanks! Peace. GL to OP, I hope people's responses helped you.