• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Benadryl for anxiety?

I am aware that a large dose of benadryl can cause delirium. I've done it before. But I'm not trying to do that, I'm just trying to use it to calm down. It doesn't make me delirious, and if it does, which it does occasionally, at least I'm calmer. I actually like the delirium it produces...but I'm weird. I'm not taking it to get high though...only to keep the panic attacks at bay.

I've been prescribed and taken hydroxyzine/Vistiril/Atarax...it doesn't do shit for me. Benadryl is the only antihistamine that does anything for me.

I forgot about doxylamine succinate. I will try that. I remember it also helps me.

I'm not taking this stuff to sleep, cause it's impossible for me to get a decent sleep no matter what I'm on. I've just accepted the fact that I don't sleep very well.

Why is it sooooo difficult for somebody with legitimate need for benzos to get on them? Why do benzos exist if not to prescribe them to people who need them?

Yes, we're talking the allergy pill. And it's hard, cause doctors don't like to prescribe abusable shit. I don't even tell docs that I do drugs. And still, I don't get the stuff I need. I see a shrink wednesday, a new one. Maybe I"ll get on something. I'm sick of having panic attacks all the time. It's cause I'm so fucking stressed at this point in my life. I have PTSD. It's flaring up hardcore right now.

i wish i knew this worked 11 years ago, i was having numerous panic attacks every day, i was a total hypochondriac due to talking 500 shrooms every day for 2 weeks solid, i used to think i was going to die every night if i went to sleep even then my doctor wouldnt prescribe me anything, all he said was " its just in your head" and that was it, any time i ask for an appointment and they say his name i tell them no way give me another doctor as he's a useless prick, i was only 17 at the time and he left me in a mental state like that, i tell you if it was now i would be very different towards him if i had the same problems, i certainly wouldnt be just accepting " its in your head " as an answer and walking out of the doctors!!

anyway believe it or not what actually cured me from having them was E's , i had never tried them until one night an old friend came up and offerd me an E , being a hypochondriac i shat my self and said no, how ever he eventually persuaded me to take half of one after a few drinks and i became a pill head, this was about a year and a half after i fried my head on the shrooms... The panic attacks stopped except from if i smoked too much weed or took too much E's in a night, but as for the hypochondria that completely disaperd thank god

Yes, we're talking the allergy pill. And it's hard, cause doctors don't like to prescribe abusable shit. I don't even tell docs that I do drugs. And still, I don't get the stuff I need. I see a shrink wednesday, a new one. Maybe I"ll get on something. I'm sick of having panic attacks all the time. It's cause I'm so fucking stressed at this point in my life. I have PTSD. It's flaring up hardcore right now.

This might help man.

Medications have shown benefit in reducing PTSD symptoms, but "there is no clear drug treatment for PTSD". Standard medication therapy useful in treating PTSD includes SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants). Positive symptoms (re-experiencing, hypervigilance, increased arousal) generally respond better to medication than negative symptoms (avoidance, withdrawal). Tricyclics tend to be associated with greater side effects and lesser improvement of the three PTSD symptom clusters than SSRIs. SSRIs for which there are data to support use include: citalopram, escitalopram, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, and sertraline. SSRIs are considered to be a first-line drug treatment.There are data to support the use of "autonomic medicines" such as propranolol (beta blocker) and clonidine (alpha-adrenergic agonist) if there are significant symptoms of "over-arousal". These may inhibit the formation of traumatic memories by blocking adrenaline's effects on the amygdala, has been used in an attempt to reduce the impact of traumatic events, or they may simply demonstrate to an individual that the symptoms can be controlled thereby assisting with "self efficacy" and helping the person remain calmer. There are also data to support the use of mood-stabilizers such lithium carbonate and carbamazepine if there is significant uncontrolled mood or aggression. Risperidone can be used to help with dissociation, mood and aggression and benzodiazepines can be used with caution for short-term anxiety relief. While benzodiazepines can alleviate acute anxiety, there is no consistent evidence that they can stop the development of PTSD or of effectiveness in the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder. Recently the anticonvulsant lamotrigine has been reported to be useful in treating some people with PTSD. There is some evidence suggesting that administering glucocorticoids immediately after a traumatic experience may help prevent PTSD. Several studies have shown that individuals who receive high doses of hydrocortisone for treatment of septic shock or following surgery have a lower incidence and fewer symptoms of PTSD. Additionally, post-stress high dose corticosterone administration was recently found to reduce 'PTSD-like' behaviors in a rat model of PTSD. In this study, corticosterone impaired memory performance, suggesting that it may reduce risk for PTSD by interfering with consolidation of traumatic memories. The neurodegenerative effects of the glucocorticoids, however, may prove this treatment counterproductive.

so does any anti allergy pill have this effect?

also is it safe if your on methadone as i sometimes still suffer from anxiety

I've decided that Seroquel is better than Benadryl for sleep (no anticholinergic effects). However, Benadryl worked well for me with low doses of Geodon in the past.

I ended up chewing 8 packets of snus at the same time to get rid of the residual effects of the 500mg Benadryl yesterday. It was partially effective.

Not all antihistamines do. Some antihistamines are very dangerous when taken in large doses. I don't recommend it at all. Does anyone know the long term effects of this? I read somewhere awhile ago about it having negative effects on the heart or nervous system or something.

I was in town today and was going to get benadryl for anxiety ive been having lately but i noticed there are a few different kinds of benadryl out there, which one is it that helps and is it ok to take on methadone? how much would you reckomend taking ?

I have taken up to 9 benadryl at a time before in the midst of a panic attack. I have found that rather than actually treat any symptom of panic or anxiety, at least in my case, they simply made me incredibly groggy. This didn't help my panic in any way, it just meant that I was still panicked, but now felt as if someone had tried to poorly tranquilize me and failed. Diphenhydramine blows.

Not all antihistamines do. Some antihistamines are very dangerous when taken in large doses. I don't recommend it at all. Does anyone know the long term effects of this? I read somewhere awhile ago about it having negative effects on the heart or nervous system or something.

Well like a year ago I took 300mg right before school and this was my first time so i ddidnt build a tolerance. I felt that it did help my anxiety. I also felt very sedated and relaxed and i felt good. I did have a few problems though. I felt like I almost fainted and if i took 1 more pill i would have. In between classes i had to get up and walk in the hallways and everything was soo bright and i felt so dizzy and almost fell down the stairs. Also, ever since I did that i now have very poor circulation and if i put my hands down for a couple of seconds they will turn purple. So now whenever i walk with my hands down my hands turn very red.

I did like the feeling while i tried it the first time but i built a tolerance soo quickly that it wasnt worth doing ever again.

If you think it will stop panic attacks it can prevent anxiety to a degree, but not really once you panic. Its not helpful in most cases.

Straight up massive doses will increase panic attacks " experience " but at that dose " 100 mgs " one would pretty much either get drowsy and or fall asleep . Don't see why it wouldn't help out as it soul purpose is to get one relaxed " Diphenhydramine HCL " see unisom and sleep aids.