• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Benadryl for anxiety?

Hydroxyzine doesn't make me drowsy, and I take up to 150mg (2Hcl = Atarax, which by the way is supposed to be stronger than the pamoate). I use it to boost my methadone. Anyway I have difficulties to piss with this combo, opiate + antihistamine isn't very good for that, so now I don't take more than 100mg. But at 150/200 mg, which is a huge dose, it IS a good anxiolytic, although not as effective as a benzo, but benzos are much more addictive. The rule is that everybody is different regarding effects and dosages of any drug. Doxylamine doesn't do much for me. You can try promethazine, too. Anyway where I live hydroxyzine needs a prescription, and doxylamine and promethazine don't, and for me promethazine is very strong, maybe stronger than hydroxyzine.

personally, benedryl gives me the sweats. not sure why but it certainly doesnt help with my anxiety disorder. Could be mixing it with opiates for the potentiation... but not quite sure.

I also wanted to add that benedryl is one of those drugs that can actually do the reverse of what you expect after awhile and CAUSE anxiety.

100mg is probably the maximum amount of benadryl that a non-tolerant person should take before delirium kicks it.

I took 325mg and it's only the third time I've taken it recently and it didn't cause delirium. 600 has in the past though. One time it made me hear weird noises and the other had worse effects.

Warning: 300 or maybe 200 without a tolerance can make you throw up (I didn't even get nauseous this time though probably because I took it on a fairly empty stomach).

Dr. Gott recommended taking 100-150mg for insomnia.

The Benadryl I took today seems to have balanced out the effects of (4) antipsychotics and another dopamine blocker (metoclopramide) such as mouth, tongue or jaw movements and agitation.

325mg will cause delirium in 99% of people(w/o tolerance) according to some source that states some facts that are real because I know them.

Bup is on some serious meds that may or may not inhibit the effects of Benadryl, so don't go popping 325mg because he said it won't make you delirious, as it will!

(no flaming intended, just trying to make sure he's safe. harm prevention right? :p)

Hydroxyzine doesn't make me drowsy, and I take up to 150mg (2Hcl = Atarax, which by the way is supposed to be stronger than the pamoate). I use it to boost my methadone. Anyway I have difficulties to piss with this combo, opiate + antihistamine isn't very good for that, so now I don't take more than 100mg. But at 150/200 mg, which is a huge dose, it IS a good anxiolytic, although not as effective as a benzo, but benzos are much more addictive. The rule is that everybody is different regarding effects and dosages of any drug. Doxylamine doesn't do much for me. You can try promethazine, too. Anyway where I live hydroxyzine needs a prescription, and doxylamine and promethazine don't, and for me promethazine is very strong, maybe stronger than hydroxyzine.

Doxylamine is certainly stronger than hydroxyzine when it comes to falling asleep...but in my opinion I think hydroxyzine is the preferred choice as it's a much smoother, no hangover sleep aid experience (for me, at least).

I don't believe I have tried promethazine before. I would probably stick to benzos before expanding on H1 antagonists too, just my 2 cents.

Nah, I believe you. I just don't understand why people would take it that frequently. It's not like benadryl is even euphoric or anything. Hydroxyzine is partially euphoric and is great for synergy with opiates. I would imagine taking Benadryl once a day (in ever-increasing amounts) would become dysphoric before it would become any degree of euphoric.

It's not too hard to imagine someone without any other drugs using it though, especially not on this site.

I totally agree :)

I took 325mg and it's only the third time I've taken it recently and it didn't cause delirium. 600 has in the past though. One time it made me hear weird noises and the other had worse effects.

Warning: 300 or maybe 200 without a tolerance can make you throw up (I didn't even get nauseous this time though probably because I took it on a fairly empty stomach).

Dr. Gott recommended taking 100-150mg for insomnia.

The Benadryl I took today seems to have balanced out the effects of (4) antipsychotics and another dopamine blocker (metoclopramide) such as mouth, tongue or jaw movements and agitation.

Everyone's body is different as far as what happens at different doses.

If one of your medications are seroquol, then taking the two drugs together would cause increase H1 histamine antagonism.

Maybe I still have some tolerance from when I took 100-300mg regularly for a year several years ago.

Update: I took 175mg (total 500mg) more and went to sleep for 4 hours. I had some hypnagogic hallucinations. I wanted I didn't have as severe of side effects as the other 2 times? Maybe because I'm taking antipsychotics or maybe some other (unknown) reason.

The fact that it can make me feel better suggests that I might have some sort of allergy. I've found that allergies (especially hay fever in the Spring, or mold) can make me feel pretty bad.

My dad said that he was prescribed a 100mg dose of chlorpheniramine once.

I wouldn't recommend taking Diphenhydramine for anxiety. When I was taking it regularly to get high (A pretty stupid decision at the time) I had some pretty severe anxiety when I was coming off it. It may sound silly but that's what happened.

Someone may have already mentioned this but Doxylamine Succinate is much more potent than Diphenhydramine (maybe a little too potent). I've heard it's even a more powerful sedative than some Benzo's. It's the main ingredient in Unisom sleep tablets in most places (don't get Unisom gel caps though, those contain Diphenhydramine).

Been having massive panic attacks lately. Have no benzos. Anybody use benadryl for a prolonged or short period of time and have a good dosing schedule? I don't want to be delirious, but it takes 100mg at a time to make me feel human again from the panic attacks.

Massive panic attack and benadryl simply cant be put in the same sentence.

If they're truly massive - I imagine your sinuses may clear up, or any allergies, but those massive panic attacks would stay. Sorry you cant get benzos - if I notice i'm starting to really get low too early to refill a script, thats enough to cause massive anxiety

I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder. I'm also scripted a shit ton of benzos, so it's rare that I need an alternative. Most OTC products don't phase my anxiety anymore, but if I'm in a situation where I don't have access to them, Valerian + hydroxyzine is the most effective combonation I've come across so far (read: somewhat effective at controlling minor anxiety, but does knock you the fuck out). Hydroxyzine seems to be the least 'mind-fucking', but the problem is that most places it's still Rx along with the almost all drugs that could be considered primarily anxiolytic (buspirone, GABA-agents, certain anti-Ds, certain anti-Hs, etc.). So try Valerian and Kava, and if you try other herbals make sure they are purely sedative (many have stimulating properties... like weed and to a lesser extent Kratom). Alcohol also works and is 'OTC' but I wouldn't really advocate that as you'd have a WHOLE new set of problems on your hands.

I actually just woke up from a similar situation, took 150mgs of hydroxyzine and slept off. No hangover. Not extremely helpful, but definitely better than nothing.

if you're having panik attacks and don't want to take benzos you can allways ask your doctor for hydroxyzine (atarax) its an anxiolytic anti-histamine... far more efective than diphenhydramine of anxiety...

When I used to take Diphenhydramine when kicking heroin, it used to kick my RLS and anxiety up another level. I just remember laying down with my eyes closed and it seemed that just when I was about to fall asleep, my body would twitch and I would wake up. This went on for hours until I finally just got up and copped some dope.

I wouldn't recommend Benadryl for anxiety or panic attacks. I am sorta in the same position as you though. I have severe anxiety and suffer from panic attacks and since I am a recovering heroin addict on methadone I am finding it extremely hard to be scripted benzos because of their habit forming attributes. I am still looking though so hopefully we will both be able to find help for our anxiety.

-legz

I wouldn't recommend taking Diphenhydramine for anxiety. When I was taking it regularly to get high (A pretty stupid decision at the time) I had some pretty severe anxiety when I was coming off it. It may sound silly but that's what happened.

Someone may have already mentioned this but Doxylamine Succinate is much more potent than Diphenhydramine (maybe a little too potent). I've heard it's even a more powerful sedative than some Benzo's. It's the main ingredient in Unisom sleep tablets in most places (don't get Unisom gel caps though, those contain Diphenhydramine).

I think perhaps the biggest difference is that doxylamine is faster acting (30 minutes vs. 90 minutes). It also takes longer to wear off the next day however.

Doxylamine is certainly stronger than hydroxyzine when it comes to falling asleep...

What dose do you recommend for insomny relief? Here Doxylamine comes in pretty low dosage, 15mg per tablet. I suspect it's much too low for aleviating insomny. Should I take 3 or 4 tabs (= 45 to 60mgs) to begin feeling something, as you say it's quite a strong antihistamine? Maybe even more, 5 or 6 tabs? Thanks for any input ;)

What dose do you recommend for insomny relief? Here Doxylamine comes in pretty low dosage, 15mg per tablet. I suspect it's much too low for aleviating insomny. Should I take 3 or 4 tabs (= 45 to 60mgs) to begin feeling something, as you say it's quite a strong antihistamine? Maybe even more, 5 or 6 tabs? Thanks for any input ;)

25-50mg is an average dosage for insomnia

Kava kava is another good herbal remedy. You'll need to get fresh kava not the stuff in stores it's much more potent.