• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What happens when you die?

life is the illusion. we are already dead, we just think we're alive.
personally, i know for a fact i am not a philosophical zombie. you have confirmed some of my deepest suspicions though :)

since you are all not really alive, this is a dream. which means dancing in the street naked is an option

I'm using one of Dennett's suggestions here which should give you a pretty clear where I stand on this issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett
Paraphrasing as I'm too lazy to go and look it up but it goes like this-
To the people who reject the brain and the self being identical, lets say bad luck strikes and you have the misfortune to get a terminal brain cancer. A surgeon arrives with good news, "there is a cure. Science has finally resolved all the problems and we can now simply remove your cancerous brain and transplant in a new one"
Happy with this solution? Your brain is after all not you. I suspect not.

On the wider attempts in all the foregoing trying to screw the inscrutable above, good luck with that.
If you want some interesting stuff on the actual processes these are interesting reads
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Death-...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282367369&sr=8-3
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stiff-Curio...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282367418&sr=1-1

. goes back to . to get a GNU computer Avatar ???

Or perhaps . goes to "The Mainframe" for awhile where thoughts become reality instantaneously because they Forgot about "Da Roolz" and weren't "Playing Nice" ??

Or . just realizes that .'s Avatar can stay alive forever if the 0 soul listens to what the 1 soul has to say ?

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4C4EEA8483A25D20

how do you explain ghosts and shit?

They have never been scientifically proven 100%. There is no explanation, not a legitimate one at least. The idea that paranormal things exist is more of a belief than a fact. No one knows if they truly exist or not, but until they prove them to be 100% real, I won't subscribe to the idea that ghosts exist.

Personally I think it's funny because when I did believe in them, I thought I had paranormal experiences quite often. As the years passed and I began to think about things more logically ("logically" in my opinion), I started wanting more evidence for these things. Eventually I reached a point where I decided to not believe in anything I can't see, hear, feel, taste, or touch for sure and the moment that happened, I stopped "seeing" things. Irony? I think a little bit ;)

Personally I think it's funny because when I did believe in them, I thought I had paranormal experiences quite often. As the years passed and I began to think about things more logically ("logically" in my opinion), I started wanting more evidence for these things. Eventually I reached a point where I decided to not believe in anything I can't see, hear, feel, taste, or touch for sure and the moment that happened, I stopped "seeing" things. Irony? I think a little bit ;)

Exactly...I remember believing in the paranormal. I'd get the chills, and have the feeling of some other worldly presence lurking around me. It was probably my mind's way of entertaining myself. It makes the day more interesting, it's something to think about all the time.

But it's all bullshit. :)

IMO when you die, your gone. That's just fine with me!

You hang out with god in some giant house and all those angels floating around with harps. You're with your loved ones all day and collectively groove in some kind of perpetual worship of god. It sounds like hell, which is why most of us cling to life as dearly as we can.

In an infinite universe in which infinite numbers of molecules(including those which make up my present physical body)can combine and recombine in an infinite number of permutations I have no doubt that at some point "I" will be physically resurrected. I'll be back, motherfuckers!