• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Realistic danger of klonopin and alcohol.

Creative Destruct

Bluelighter
I've recently been put on klonopin 1mg, twice a day. I need it for anxiety and it works. I noticed drinking one beer on this is like drinking 2 or 3. How dangerous actually is this? Like, I want to get pretty drunk for New Year's eve. How many drinks would be ok at this dosage? When I was younger and dumber I would pop xanax and drink until i couldnt drink anymore. That was years ago. So what would be a safe amount to drink on my dosage? Would skipping a dose help?

The dangers of that amount and drinking responsibly mostly lie in losing your sense of reasonable behavior, making an idiot of yourself or possibly much worse and being more likely to not remember it. Skipping your doses will definitely work - if you've only been on the clonazepam for a few weeks that's probably your best bet - I'd skip both of them. If you've been on it longer than a month that's a bit dodgier and probably not recommended (though odds are you'd still be fine, that's far from assured... queue breathless responses about benzo wd from people who have never been there in 3..2..1). Best plan in that case would just be to limit the drinking.

So if I take a normal dosage on Thursday, but none on Friday, I can drink what I want on Friday night?

Yeah, alcohol interacts with clonazepam (klonopin). It all depends on your body size, metabolism, and how long you've been using the drug. But I doubt 1mg twice a day would put you in any serious danger when combined with alcohol... like you say, you'll probably just notice that the alcohol hits you a lot harder. But do listen to what your body is telling you. If you're getting intoxicated or sedated, it's probably time to call it quits.

I usually make a fool out of myself when I drink anyway. My main concern is like breathing trouble and death.

yeah, sorry, it was. You will still have some amount in your system, but it will be basically trace amounts and below any kind of effective blood level. I was being a bit flip about the issues of combining them - the real issue wouldn't be making an idiot out of yourself but that you'd be more likely to lose normal inhibitions against stupid things like driving or walking on the edge of a 10 story roof, etc.

yeah 2-3 beers, no problem. getting pretty drunk = who knows for sure. No real harm in skipping them, right? since you've only been taking them recently i'm sure you dealt ok before the rx.

its a good idea to skip your dose. i doubt you will die from breathing difficulties, i used to mix alcohol and benzos in high amounts and i never had any problems breathing.

however, you should not take benzos every day. they do not work long term for anxiety and the withdrawal is ridiculous and can go on for years or even indefinitely in some cases.

If you take benzos, it is a good idea not to use them every day if at all possible. If you're planning on using alcohol at all, going without benzos for that day is a great idea.

Since this is a pretty basic drug question, I'm going to move this over to BDD.

If you take benzos, it is a good idea not to use them every day if at all possible. If you're planning on using alcohol at all, going without benzos for that day is a great idea.

Since this is a pretty basic drug question, I'm going to move this over to BDD.

Well Ive been put on them recently because of such bad panic attacks. I have to take them everyday. That is what is prescribed. They work too. The doctor said he didnt really want to put me on them because of side effects but we will try a month or so and see what happens.

I did apx 12mg of xanax downed with a bottle of wine and had no ill effects, though I'm a complete retard I just wanted some relief I know everyone on the board knows how it goes. Anyway I didn't stop breathing / black out / do anything stupid / I remember every moment so I'm guessing you would be fine but always better to be safe then sorry. I never would've done it under normal circumstances, I don't really suggest drinking and benzos and opiates either but ultimately it's always up to the person. Just kind of wanted to share that, I kind of feel lucky I'm alive to type this right now though maybe I'm paranoid who ultimately knows?

Well Ive been put on them recently because of such bad panic attacks. I have to take them everyday. That is what is prescribed. They work too. The doctor said he didnt really want to put me on them because of side effects but we will try a month or so and see what happens.

panic attacks ain't shit compared to what long term benzos can do to a person. you don't have to take them as prescribed (or at all). learn better ways to deal wth your panic attacks.

I always skip my klonopin when I plan to drink. I never had a problem with it until I recently skipped it for a few weeks to get high on opiates. Klonopin withdrawl is a motherfucker. Missing one dose will not do anything and if you're anything like me you wont be anxious while you're drunk. Good luck.

panic attacks ain't shit compared to what long term benzos can do to a person. you don't have to take them as prescribed (or at all). learn better ways to deal wth your panic attacks.

Sure, try having 4 or 5 panic attacks back to back winding up in the ER because you think you're dying, not being able to go out in public or generally deal with anything because of excessive anxiety. Benzos have been a fucking godsend for me. When you go off of them, don't go off cold turkey. Plain and simple. I have defeated panic disorder using benzos and I feel they are the best medication for panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Anti depressants, Buspar and other nonsense they prescribe is BULLSHIT. So is binge drinking and other forms of self medication.

hard to say, maybe cut your clonazepam intake into 2... take 1mg instead of 2 , at these dosages you'll be fine...