• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does One Doctor Know What Other Doctors Have Prescribed To You?

Im pretty sure in the US, if you go to a methadone clinic, no doc has any way of seeing that (if you don't use insurance I suppose) I asked this question directly and they said HELL NO no one can see this information including doctors. I think theres a confidentiality contract signed too.

dunno if anyone mentioned it yet but here in florida theres no prescription drug monitoring program =]

dunno if anyone mentioned it yet but here in florida theres no prescription drug monitoring program =]

Not sure if if mentioned it in this thread, or another one. I mentioned the documentary "The OxyContin Express" which discusses how people from all over travel to florida since its not monitored. I think around 80% of oxycontin in the US is prescribed/filled in florida.

Yea they can. There's a DEA database they can look at using your name. It will tell them what scripts you filled. I recently went to the ER and they wouldn't prescribe me pain meds because I had "too many scripts" in the previous 2 months. That PA was a real cunt.

the answer is YES. any doctor you go to has the ability and right to look up your prescription history. EVEN WITHOUT HAVING INSURANCE!! social security card and DOB is all they need .I know this for a fact, 100 percent sure. they have a program that uses your social security number, like when you give to the pharmacy to get a narcotic filled, and that program prints off a list of you prescription history. usually it is only for narcotics but they do not have to ask your permission. If you go to the ER with a "pain" problem you can expect them to look this up. I have had it happen to me and I am in med school so I know this for a fact. If you look like a shopper they can even turn you into the police because it is a felony to doc shop for narcotics. BE CAREFUL!!!

Last edited:
OK, so you have HIPAA in US- the regulations of very strict meaning that one can't access information from previous records unless they are directly involved in the case and the pt signs a release. There are exceptions including court orders, ext... but there is also a provision that has something to do with allowing that info to be realeased for billing purposes. So health care companies, it would seem, have wide reaching powers to access your records. For filling Rxs, the insurance has a list of every drug you've taken and won't refill the same drug unless its 3 days early. Wallgreens sucks shit- I had the pharmacist freek out when I told him I had lost my Rx and needed refill after 2 weeks- he wanted to call my doc, anyway-didn't let him. Another time, I had a dossage increase, needed med, and pharmacist calculated it using logic I can't understand so I could get it 10 days instead of the 10 it should have been early. This was when I was titrating suboxone. Riteaid is cool. Independents are good choices too.For methadone clinics, drug abuse clinics they have SAMSHA regulations that are even stricter then pt confidentiality from HIPAA. In many hospitals like Kaiser, they keep chem dependency pt files in a seperate room and do not give out to any doc- thats how it was 10 years ago. Tip: if you have a generic and lose it and get a script, say from another doc- some high volume pharmacys have the same deals as copays ( I was able to get it this way 5 dats early for 1 dollar more. Saw doc after 3 weeks, was leaving town, and needed it filled without bullshit for trip- cash is a way around it. Getting a drug in same drug for another indication )or not) another trick, Hear in California, a pharmacist friend says the stae keeps track of Rx to monitor possible diversion. He said that then ( 3 years ago) they had 3 different data bases so shopping at different chains or indies might circumvent this prob if you know who uses what. This might of changed, You always go to TJ if you live near by-no such hurdles just the border.

Wow...there are a lot of people commenting here that clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

First off, let me say that everything I post here is for the US...I don't know anything about the laws in other countries.

First off...in regards to SureScripts...while they would really like you to believe their claims...they just aren't true...at least at this point. As far as I am aware, the only way for a doctor to access information in SureScripts' system is by going through a state-run program which has access to it - an to date, only 1 state does this...and they are getting about a 75% success rate.

Now, in regards to HIPAA...everyone thinks that HIPAA does much more than it really does. HIPAA allows any healthcare professional (doctor, nurse, pharmacist, etc) to share your information with any other healthcare professional which has a medical interest in your information. It also allows them to share your information with law enforcement should they believe that you have violated the law. Also, HIPAA only covers certain entities...government agencies, in general, are not covered by HIPAA.

Now, to address the original question, the answer is, it depends on where you live. Many states have state-run Prescription Monitoring Programs (also called PMP or PDMP). Each state's laws are slightly different, meaning who has access to the information is different, how they access it is different, when they can access it is different, and what information is available is different. See http://www.nascsa.org/rxmonitoringnascsa.htm for more information, including which states have PMP's and their contact information.

I have never heard of a doctor calling an insurance company for this information, although I wouldn't rule it out. In most states, a doctor can call a pharmacy directly and ask for the information, though.

Once I went to a doctor, got my dosage of benzo changed, from one pill to two pills a day.

So I take the paper script to the pharmacy to fill it, they say they can't because I already had a bottle of benzos prescribed...I attempted to explain what happened, they not only refused to fill the bottle, they physically would not give me my paper script back.

I called my doctor and he straightened it out.

Another occasion a buddy of mine, older dude, probably has a record a mile long ...was filling his monthly prescription for 180 morphines, the pharmacist freaked out said "Theres no way your prescribed these" and threatened to call the cops (Im not lying about this)....My buddy stood there in awe, the pharmacist than called his doctor.....who proceeded to show up in person and chew this piece of shit pharmacists ass out. It was great to see. The doctor upped his dose the next month, I think it was a fuck you to the pharmacy.

Just two personal experiences, theres many more.

Once I went to a doctor, got my dosage of benzo changed, from one pill to two pills a day.

So I take the paper script to the pharmacy to fill it, they say they can't because I already had a bottle of benzos prescribed...I attempted to explain what happened, they not only refused to fill the bottle, they physically would not give me my paper script back.

I called my doctor and he straightened it out.

Another occasion a buddy of mine, older dude, probably has a record a mile long ...was filling his monthly prescription for 180 morphines, the pharmacist freaked out said "Theres no way your prescribed these" and threatened to call the cops (Im not lying about this)....My buddy stood there in awe, the pharmacist than called his doctor.....who proceeded to show up in person and chew this piece of shit pharmacists ass out. It was great to see. The doctor upped his dose the next month, I think it was a fuck you to the pharmacy.

Just two personal experiences, theres many more.

I know with my Xanax and klonopin they won't refill it earlier than the date it says on the bottle unless I am going out of town or something. Pharmacists can be such cunts sometimes.

About your friend that's fucking crazy something similiar happened to a friend of mine except he went in to fill his script of oxy and his wife had picked it up. They threatened to call the cops on him and all kinds of shit. They were in the process of getting divorced it turned into a huge debacle.