• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How much information are you giving out?

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
This is just a quick reminder to everyone that this is a drug related message board which deals with activities that are illegal. You'd think that was pretty obvious, but some people don't seem to be phased by that fact.
I just chose a few people's profiles at random and tried to find out some information about them. I was pretty shocked with the amount I got in some cases. From real names (first and second), mobile phone numbers, uni numbers, and in some cases a full residential address!!! All this was obtained with out any hacking or tricks like that - it was all obtained by looking at people's profiles or by following links that people put in their profile.
I'm not going to name names here, but some of you should take a serious look at what information you're displaying that you might not want shown. The biggest culprit was ICQ numbers - the amount of people with full details on their ICQ profile is amazing!
Ultimately it's up to you - but given the nature of bluelight I would have thought you'd want to be as anonymous as possible...
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Nice one Pleo!
I strongly advice people to remove their personal details. You don't want any nasty suprises.

*gets excited* Do me! Do me!
I was once upon a time very conscious of this too. Now I figure they know where I'll be so theres not a great deal of point hiding - if they want me they get me.
*waves to all the friendly (and not so much so *cough* Oxford Street - thugs *cough*) policemen*

^by using your email addy can they find a profile of you with info about you from an isp or on a program like icq or msn?

depends.
if you use an isp email such as an @optushome or @telstra or @iprimus then yes, it is possible for authorities to request personal details from the isp about you.
However, if you have web based emial where you can be anonymous then they can't do this.
Another avenue they can use is the ip you post from on bluelight - bluelight keeps a record of the ip used in every post. This information is only avaialble to admins - im not sure aus authorities would have the power to demand ips from a server based overseas.
MIRC - yes, if you do an info in mirc, you can see the isp..not sure if any more can be gathered.
IRQ - don't know.
The bottom line is this - don't post anything stupid and you won't have anything to worry about.

Your email address is enough if it is your main email account showing your user ID with your ISP. However if you are using a third party email address it makes it a little more difficult for them, I can't imagine it would be to hard to get profile information out of hotmail though.
If you are using a completely random web based email account it makes it a lot more difficult for them to track you simply from an address, unless you send them an email directly. They can use your IP address embedded in the email to track you quite simply. Unless of course you use one of various methods to disguise your IP address :)
You can be tracked through ICQ if you respond to a message they send to you, your IP becomes visible once you have connected to another user.
IRC can be quite dangerous as your IP is visible all the time so if you are paranoid, anonymous proxies are the way to go :)
All the authorities need is the IP address connected to you and some reason for wanting to follow it up. As nezo said, just don't post anything stupid and they will have no reason to try and find you.

Just expanding on the topic of the police getting your IP address from your BL posts, it's been discussed before and the outcome was that because the server is governed by international laws and getting that info would mean dealing with law enforcement agencies overseas, it would be a hell of a lot easier for the police to get your IP or other info somewhere else, it wouldn't be worth their while getting it from the BL admins ('specially since the admins are unlikely to give out that information unless forced to by the authorities in their country)
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: Tarsarlan ]

Re: ICQ...
For memory (been awhile since I played with this, so someone please correct me if wrong), ICQ is complete and utter swiss cheese. With simple, freely downloadable programs, you can be added to ppls auth lists without your authorisation, and without your knowledge, and you do not have to be connected to them for your IP to be shown with a single mouse-click.
I would recommend against displaying your ICQ ID in your profile.
[EDIT: Please excuse spelling errors. I have a bad fever, I cant think, and I'm going to bed :( ]
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

Re: IRC
You don't have to worry too much about being connected to the Austnet IRC network at all, because it's got what's called Virtual World, which masks your IP. It's pretty secure as far as I can tell, so don't stress too much. :)

err, could you people not make definite statements if you don't know 100% of the truth? thanks :)
Such things as 'However, if you have web based email where you can be anonymous then they can't do this.'
^^ well, its just one extra step (say 30seconds to 1 day) to find the info. These places still have logs of who posted what and where in their web server logs. My friend runs one (a biggish one) and the only way they keep running is by keeping a certain time logged always. One such famous one that was 'raided' was anon.penet.fi
Try something like http://www.google.com/search?q=anon+penet+fi+fbi+raid&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Fry-d was correct about IRC , you can use proxies named 'bnc' (bouncer). If you see me on irc, I’m on as [email protected] (various different ones). But then again, it would take 2 seconds for anyone wanting to find your masked IP.
Also regarding austnet, yes, the ircd uses virtual world but if you do a /whois on yourself, you can still see your host. So this is logged, any admin wanting your info can easily find it.
Jakoz said it all about icq.
Now, that was the blunt part of my message. All in all, don't do anything regarding suspicion and you should be ok. But nothing is totally safe. Nor does it mean soon as you do one 'not so nice thing' over the net, that you will be tracked down. It’s a game of numbers. (Think of all the 100000000's of emails, data packets being sent at any one time. There are only so many eyes that can read it.) But now we are getting onto the topic of machine read/siphoned data. Read this to see that the FBI can (accidentally) find anyone’s email.
All in all, just remember, use some brains when you are on the net. Sorry if I scared anyone, it's just the truth. :)

Of course the cops can find you if they want... but that's not the issue here... my point was make them work for it! Why put your full name down if you don't need to? Why write your home address anywhere on the internet unless you're shopping online or something. If the cops really want to fuck you then they will... but if they're just after people to question or something and don't really care who, I'd bet they'll ring the people that offer their phone numbers first rather than go to the trouble of finding someone else who has theirs hidden...
This is all theoretical I know... but I just don't see the reason for posting exact personal details publically on the net that can be read by anyone with just the click of a button.
Feel free to keep discussing internet security issues though - it keeps the thread bumped to the top... ;)
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

burned for giving help. bluelight has been taken over by fucken nazis.
Read it in context wazza and tell me if my statement wasn't correct.
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: nezo ]

Nezo: All I did was highlight that using an anonymous web based mailer won't make you totally hidden.
And you're correct in the context of about 'The bottom line is this - don't post anything stupid and you won't have anything to worry about.'
And yeah right, Im a fucking nazi. (Please note the sarcasm...) Nice to make remarks like this when I impede on your personal space about being right or wrong. Who gives a fuck? I certainly do not.I only care as long as people get the correct info, no care if it's from me or someone else. Go call someone else a 'fucken nazi'.
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: wazza ]

I look at it this way. I don't think anything said here will incriminate me. Im not stupid enough to say "I have to pick up 100 pills this week from so and so" or "I'll be at *EVENT* with *X amount* of *SUBSTANCE* Its pretty straight forward.
But yes it is a board relating to drug use, or minimising harm *slaps police force* So I dont use anything real on this board. No real details on my email, No real details on my ICQ (my ICQ isnt listed on bluelight anyway but can be located) No real detals on my email.
YES, even with all this I'm sure if they wanted to track this little raver who goes to an event with his friends sometimes and have some fun they could.
But do they want to?
Is it worth the trouble for something that would most likely get me a slap on the wrist.
I dun think so.
YES, it did happen to some in Perth, but I have my doubts as to whether it was COMPUTER POLICE or some informant hanging with the bluelighters. I think the latter as do most others...... I'll find out soon. ;)
So wazza, your post wasn't scary at all. It just put down what you can do should you want to track someone's ID and location. But the big question, is it worth it?
I personally Think the cops have bigger fish to fry. They may think going through me is a safe bet to get higher up the food chain.. I tell you this.
1: I'm not a dobber. Dobbers wear nappies ;)
2: I don't know anything
I have said nothing incriminating so I have nothing to worry about. Until posting to help people and free speach is illegal then I think Im safe and dont worry about this shit, although as I said before I do cover myself as best I can.
[ 29 May 2002: Message edited by: blufluffybunny ]

Who gives a fuck? I certainly do not.I only care as long as people get the correct info, no care if it's from me or someone else
Bah. I'm out. cya. Obviously my input into this fucken forum is no longer required, even if my intent was good. Perhaps my info wasn't 100% correct - my knowledge of all this geek isn't at your level wazza but there was no need to be-little me.
I know what's wrong with bluelight. bye all.

ok, fuck it. Im doing something that I have said to people 'in private' I won't do
Some of my friends have recently been put in prison (in australia and overseas) for doing things 'they didnt think would justify police to look at them'
I fucking care about those people, and I care about you people. If this thread has made even just one person stop from possibly being caught for illegal activities over the internet, then I am happy.
/vent off
Yes, and that time, I was using 1/2 angry tone. *if* nezo sees this, I wasn't flaming you. Just trying to show how people can (and have been) busted for doing things they aren't police worthy. It's hit too close at home for me by seeing it happen to friends. I am only trying to help. But if flaming me makes you feel better people, go ahead.

It's all good guys... both people's opinions are valid and I'd hope that a disagreement such as this wouldn't be the cause of someone leaving the board... :(
Obviously this is something wazza is very passionate about, and I think a few of these replies in here might have been typed first and read second... ultimatly though I think you both probably agree with each other in principle, and this is more an issue of semantics than anything...

i find nothing funnier than comments like "so this is what bluelight has become! i'm leaving!"
ummm, you for got your bat and ball...