• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How much information are you giving out?

Can think slightly better now (have had a bad fever since Monday, and it's fucking my brain up), but, in the simplest terms possible, the golden rule:
Give no information away on your profile, or through your posts. Not email, not ICQ ID (ICQ is so fucked that I no longer use it), etc. The aim being that, even if you're not the most secure user on here, you're not the easiest to trace either.
I could get more technical, but there is no point - that would do more harm than good, as mose would read that and entirely disregard the issue as too hard. But simply put, disable the public viewing of your email addy and take all info out of your profile. That is the simplest way to afford yourself at least some level of protection.
And please, chill everyone. Waz may have all the gentleness of a wooden club, but he is right ;) .
BTW: Bunny - I know people that have been raided because of their association with this board, that have not at any stage posted ANY incriminating posts. From where you are, this looks like paranoid shit, but on this you have your head in the sand ;)
[ 30 May 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

Too True Jakoz, my young padawan.
hehe. The cops are free to raid my house.
They would find nothing incriminating.
So why should I worry? Prosecute me for??????
Not having ADSL.....
Not doing my washing.....
hehe.
And chill out everyone. Agree to disagree. Fighting over who is right and who is wrong is like getting to admit JB he likes me.... It aint gonna happen ;) Wazza is right, but he's no Nazi.
Everyone just stop and before you get all grumpy pants realise that there WILL be a conflict in information and advice, but at the end of the day we are all helping each other... yes?
back on topic. Get rid of personal stuff connected to here. Simple.

You know what's really funny, I'd worked out 90% of this shit already, but I'm not too fussed about the cops paying a visit, reason? I don't keep illicit shit on the property.
Smart idea eh?
-plaz out-

Wazza, just a small point to make, regarding bnc's, unless that is a hacked host that will be more easily trackable.
Eg: on Ausnet, sffsdfsd.bigfatraver.com
That host will most liekly point to
a) a shell server
b) your own personal server
if you were on as iprimus.com.au that would be alot harder to trace.

If the info on this post is true, then we should find and terminate every goddamn 'icq number rollcall' thread on the entire site.
Right. Fucking. Now.
Wire.

psycotik : good point. I guess I have been doing this too long and became complacent. I use a few various bnc's on friends boxes overseas and if they ever had a warrant or were pressured from authorities about 'their ip' being used, they will kindly send me a buzz telling me about this.
Running a bnc on your own server won't do anything to stop people from finding out what ISP you are using. To get on as imprimus.com.au, you would have to be at the actual server as I think most (all?!) ircd's these days are patched against the spoof ip 'hack'. i.e coming on as a fake ip. There are other ways to do this but not worth explaining here as people with vested interests in this might be reading this with interests other than 'our own'
All in all, it just needs to be stressed "Don't do anything illegal (or stupid) and you should be ok"

Wiretrippa: It's up to the individual - search the ICQ thread and you won't find my number anywhere in sight... and people are free to delete their own numbers from that thread too... :)

^^^^^
Good point - I didn't think of that...
If anyone wants their ICQ number removed from a locked thread then simply email a mod or an admin and they'll do it for you... :)

Just a reminder to think about what information you're giving out, it's easy to forget and post information that is easilly traceable, such as posting your phone number.

Hi guys.
Lots of good info here.
I work in Network Security at a major telco carrier in Australia. There is no doubt that using a public network to post comments on a drug-related message board is a significant risk, especially if you post information identifying yourself and discussing your use/posession of drugs.
It amazes me the type of information people trust to be carried across public networks. As my company own large networks, we take a quite different approach to information. We consider only our networks to be 'trusted' and that information from/to other networks is hostile. Hostile information is often subject to scruitiny, putting the security/privacy of people transferring information from other networks to/through our network at risk.
Why is this relevant? In the sense of a person at home, dialling up, you are connecting to a hostile network. You cannot trust any of the hosts/networks along the way. You often have little concept as to how many different people/devices have access to your information on the way.
As a result of the recent terrorist incidents thoughout the world, there has been an increased interest in protecting computer networks. It is amazing these days what the baseline enforcement for network security tends to be. Small - Medium business are implementing equipment which is extremely powerful in droves to protect their interests.
Once again, getting back on track, larger networks are implementing huge systems to tag and track 'interesting' traffic on their networks. The only thing that keeps these companies ethical when handling this data is privacy laws. All it takes for a large network carrier to monitor your traffic is to duplicate it, and pass the information to a distributed network of packet filters. This is extremely cheap to design for even the largest bandwidth links, especially with processors and disks so fast and cheap these days.
The simple purpose of these packet filters (bad choice of description, as packet filter tends to describe a firewall-type device/software) is to take each packet of information sent past, and compare it to a set of signatures. If any of the patterns in its database match the information captured, the connection (and possibly all other connections either side establish) are tagged and logged. Processing this stored information is extremely easy.
With technology like this, patterns and words which are associated with criminal activity can be found and flagged very easily. This information can be aggregated and processed to easily extract relevant information about people of interest. Sure, you might not be making any profile information available via your bluelight account, but even if you simply log into your email 30 mins later, your information might be logged.
At a risk of sounding paranoid, you should never send incriminating information over a public network. Sure, you may not have transmitted enough to convict you of a crime, but you might have given police enough for probable cause, and might just get a knock on the door, search warrant in hand.
If we get served with a warrant for information, we will provide it. Of course we will. It may well be your private information. Be smart about your information.

Do you assume the cops won't look at your post because you don't say you have 100 pills? You ARE talking about and admitting doing something illegal.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.
Common sense is required. The cops do elaborate things to get big people. If its easy to get the little guys they will. By making your info available you are making it easy for them to check you out.
If you wish to disregard all advice and give yourself up by all means do. You may or may not get done but if you do... It will be your own fault.
A lawyer once told me you cannot be done for anything you havent said... Although not entirely true I got the point he was trying to make. Remember that, and remember never give more info than you need to... especially to the cops.

Last weekend the SA Police advertised for two Electronic Crime Analysts...

good "reminder" thread.
my thoughts on this are that there are cops employed full-time to monitor, record and report on "activities" happening on this site *read abci*.
also it wouldn't surprise me that the cops compile dossiers on every single person posting here.
as discussed by, nate_au if the cops want to find out who you are.....they will.
talk about drug use in the "past tense" and there's not much they can do except ask questions. for all the cops know.....you might be speaking through your arse though. its their call.
i don't do drugs anymore......so i don't give a fuck what the cops have on me. ;)
[ 05 February 2003: Message edited by: lorrett ]

yeqh ummm just 4 the record i dont do drugs either *runs and hides* drugs are bad kids! :D

I don't do drugs, so what do I have to worry about?
Not everyone who uses Bluelight is a drug user...

Yes everyone watch what you say. Who knows really, every mod on this site could be an undercover cop anyway...watch it.
BE ALERT, DON'T BE ALARMED
[ 07 February 2003: Message edited by: MOTOMAN ]

Originally posted by MOTOMAN:

BE ALERT, DON'T BE ALARMED

oh my god MOTOMAN... I know who you are...
John Howard... that line came from the letter in the terrorist booklets sent out this week.
The prime minister is undercover on BL... arrgghh... get out while you still can.
sorry everyone, I have boredomitis today ;)