CDJS Really the club standard?

ignorant bitches say that you aint a dj unless you beatmatch.

me and many hundreds of pro djs say that traktor with its sync capabilities is a godsend!
not having to worry about matching the loops allows yo to focus more effort onto how you're gonna drop/mix in the next track, fuck with FX, look through your mp3s etc.
thus giving the audience a better experience!

i say fuck vinyl.
nobody will ever change my mind on that. ive never used vinyl but it can fuck off IMO :p

and Chem, IMO traktor will definetely win.
ableton is just too complicated in comparison, considering its primarily a production software, and the capabilities of Traktor FAR outweigh that of ableton or virtual dj.

Im thinking of selling my BCD3000 soon and buying a Vestax TR-1.
it was designed by Hiroshi Watanabe, and is based around Traktor.
its mainly a mixer for FX/loops based djs, so thats why i want it :p
and it looks DAMN sexy n sleek compared to my fat bcd3000

tr1_top.jpg

either that, or the Traktor Kontrol x1, which is about £300 cheaper.
but im still swaying more to the Vestax, it haunts my dreams!
i need a sleek wee machine now i have a laptop ;)

Im thinking of getting a Vestax VCI-100 and runing traktor. Someone offerred me 100 cash for my total control and dj io...... I hate having the additional soundcard to lug.... and I just got a new laptop to play out on......... I need a version of traktor now for windows 7 arggh!!! But does anyone have experience with the VCI-100?

dude
PM me about traktor for ur system.

and dizmo, i speak truth. I am strictly talking about djing with the 2 programs.

and the capabilities of Traktor FAR outweigh that of ableton

yeah, that's definitely not true. live is a bit of a pain in the ass to get it set up the way you like, but anything you can do with traktor can also be done with live, and WAY more. I just really like the layout of traktor.

I love the layout of traktor, you can have so much more hands on experience with the trakcs and you can jump around like crazy! I have discovered the craziest random loops to mix together just on the fly with traktor that never would happen with ableton.

And the fact that you can only choose your set for ableton, and thats that. sucks ass. If the crowd isn't feeling tyour set halfway through you can change your playlsit , your fucked. But with traktor if someone isnt feeling a song I drop I can pull up another one before even a full minute has played of the shitty one. I love traktor. I have used Virtual dj, limited ableton, and mixmesiter. Traktor blows them all away NO comparison. Even LE for christ sakes!

yeah, that's definitely not true. live is a bit of a pain in the ass to get it set up the way you like, but anything you can do with traktor can also be done with live, and WAY more. I just really like the layout of traktor.

did you mean to quote the other op... or did you mean to ay thats definitely true...? i am confused

Once you get the hang on Live (it has a steep learning curve, but it is worth it) your perspective will definitely change. Also, if the crowd isn't feeling your set you can change your set if you want, you just need to spend more time with Live in order to learn how to do this (tips: use .wav or .aiff files and do the drag & drop thingie from iTunes // have an extra audio track with .mp3/.wav/.aiff loaded on it as if it where your vinyl crate).

Traktor is much easier to use, I wont deny that, but the creative possibilities with Live are far more than the ones you get with Traktor. With Ableton Live you can do the following:

-DJ
-Produce
-Remix on the fly
-Produce on the fly
-Jam with live musicians

With Traktor you can:

-DJ

I'm an Ableton head and love it to death, I also got an apc40 and find it way more cooler than your standard MIDI controller, you have soooooo much control over your sets (the Novation Launchpad is great too). While I may be completely biased towards it, nobody can't deny that with Live you get a whole lot more. On a side note, the LE version is a piece of shit, with Live you either go with the standard one or with the suite, the other versions aren't worth it imo.

P.s. I agree with you sega420 on the beatmatch thing. I learned DJing with cds and can beatmatch pretty well, but beatmatching is NOT an art; I'd say it's just a waste of time (and don't tell me: "but thats the whole feeling of DJing" like many other closed minded fellow DJs). Creating an interesting set which makes the crowd dance is where the whole DJing deal is at. I bet a fucking monkey can beatmatch, there is no talent to it.

P.s.s. Fuck vinyl. We are not at the 80s anymore...

I don't think beatmatching is a waste of time anymore than learning finger-picking techniques on a guitar is a waste of time. Certainly you don't need it, but a waste?

That said, it's exciting to see what people who come into the game solely in the digital realm come up with regards to their DJ sets. Unfortunately, I see a lot of people simply do what I can do with two turntables, a mixer, and a Cycloops/FX1000 -- and that is a shame. They get the gas face.

But there are kids out there who have started developing their performance skills using the digital medium. And the things they come up with are really nice.

i dont play with plectrums, but rather just fingers, even for heavy strumming ;)

dizmo, once again-

i know ableton can do lots more shit, i said im strictly talking about using ableton and traktor for DJing.

IME with Traktor Pro 3.2, yes, the capabilities of traktor when djing are better than that of ableton.
i stick to that opinion and it wont change. Traktor gives you more freedom.

anyhoo- FUCK PLASTIC ;)

this thread is now about kittehs -

evil-kitty.jpg

Traktor gives you more freedom.

this simply isn't true. ableton can do everything trakotr can, and WAAAAY more. the advantage of traktor is that it is already set up in a very intuitive layout. there is literally nothing you can do in traktor that you cannot do in ableton, and there are TONS of things you can do in ableton that you cannot do n traktor. personally, I prefer traktor for DJing. But that is definitely not because it "gives you more freedom."

Don't must djs who use cdjs at club use them in combination with laptop/software anyways?

no, i've not really found this to be the case. for a lot of people (myself included) CDJs vs. laptop is an either/or proposition. of course DJs can and do use serato or whatever with CD decks, but this doesn't seem to be the norm in my area.

two of a laptop's highest purposes in a DJ setup are as follows:

- ditching records and CDs completely
- allowing a DJ to play their digital library with control vinyl

why subject yourself to all of the technical concerns of a laptop setup if you can just burn to CD and play on the existing gear? alternatively, why bother with the CDJs if you can mix straight from your laptop?

to those who are using bootlegged software

do a lot of people actually do this? i wouldn't dream of taking a chance like that for any major gig. is it common practice for professional DJs to take paying gigs with bootlegged software?

and damn, the opinions on both beatmatching and the "limitations" of ableton are definitely putting me in the minority in this thread :|

Last edited:
end of discussion = sega, you know not to post that. One more time and its a warning -thizzer

Last edited by a moderator: