Non-techno songs in a set

yucatanboy2

Bluelighter
So, i'm curious for the djs out there and anyone who has noticed anything like this.

Have you noticed djs playing "non-techno" songs in a set? Not a remix, but the original, interspersed with techno.

I know that some drum and bass/breaks djs for a while were dropping "Rage against the machine - Killing in the name of" in their sets (i.e. see Adam Freeland essential mix 2003). Also, I heard an amazing 2 hour psytrance set that was phenomenal, and then the dj played stairway to heaven as his last song. It was pretty cool.

Anyone has particular times they remember/ideas of what would sound good/what they've tried?

Personally, I like the idea of dropping intro or last track non-techno songs... for example... Billy idol - white wedding, at the end of a set...

Discuss.

yep, all the time....they mix it in so that it sounds cool, sometimes just peices of the track. at club insomnia they would always play techno except the last song they would play would always be a non-techno song.

then you walk outside into the blaring sun that you're not used to because its now 10am and bright and your eyes are fully dilated.

Being myself a DJ I don't give a shit about which genre I put in my sets, I play my sets accordingly to the danceable context rather to a genre. DJ sets (at least EDM ones) are made from the MDMA point of view, hopefully you'll get me on this one.

Yeah agree totally djzmo ^ ^

i usually throw in a track from the genre I was just spinning, but just an old skool classic that is sorta an unknown gem. People remember you for playing the 2 track that everyone loves but hasnt heard before.

qft

When michael jackson died, lots of DJs played a MJ song at the end of the show... It's not uncommon to play a totally different genre at the end of the party.

With the harder styles (schranz, hardstyle, hardcore) various bootlegs are common:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2_vlRntJVA

When you say techno, do you mean to say Electronic?
Pure techno is practically extinct in America

Pure techno is practically extinct in America

72%20Horrified%20Red%20Neck.jpg

LOL toa$t
For real though, I wish I could hear techno when I go out to parties.
Unfortunately, I have to travel to Europe in order to experience it again.

by techno i meant any EDM genre

and pure techno isn't extinct, its just not as popular as some other stuff. And some of the best shows i've been to have been techno shows.

Back on topic... what non-EDM songs have people heard in EDM sets?

I have some doors records, and I enjoy using "texas radio and the big beat" as an intro to an EDM set (house/breaks)

i've ripped out slayer in dnb sets. not that I ever really play dnb anymore.

I've mixed things like Billy Idol - Dancing with myself with some DnB and Robyn - Konichiwa bitches with some funky electro type stuff.
It's loads of fun when you hear random tracks in sets you expect to hear nothing but [genre] in :)
Proper gets the crowd going ^_^

Once I was at a dance event where the DJ put on "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck as a final song, which is just straight-up jazz swing and really really light-sounding, and people were so into the dancing that they just played along and the party wound down with everyone dancing all dignified-like. It wasn't something I'd expect to ever happen again, but it was really cute and I enjoyed it.

There's a monthly dance party I go to that always has a midnight yoga class after the dancing, and they always play "My Girls" by Animal Collective as the last song. Somehow it always makes perfect sense to transition from dancing into yoga through this song.

playing random ass vinyl into a set is one of the greatest joys of being a dj. i used to drop echo and the bunnymen's "killing moon" into some breaks sets. when my gf and i left dallas we ended our set at the lizard lounge with "na na hey hey kiss him goodbye" by steam (seriously did not know who was responsible for that anthem before i was leaving dallas). i heard a deep house dj from new york end his set with "what a fool believes" by the doobie brothers one time at the endup, and the guy swore to me he was playing the original but i'm sure it was some kind of bass laced remix.

this is just the tip of the iceberg. i give a resounding YES to non-techno vinyl in dj sets.